[Solved] Bizarro touchpad activity

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Crawl71
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Bizarro touchpad activity

Post by Crawl71 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:04 am

Wasn't sure where else to put this mystery so thought I would start here.

I had mint 19.1 set up and running on my old Dell laptop, got a 'newer' Asus S550C. I took the drive out of the Dell and installed it in the Asus, downloaded the Nvidia drivers and everything seemed to be working well so I upgraded to 19.2. Shortly after I started noticed some bizarre activity with the touchpad which included.
1. Terminal - scrolling on its own, I scroll back to the bottom, it scrolls back up by itself
2. In Nautilus, if I try and rename a file/folder, click on 'rename' and try and start typing it seems to bring up a finder box; can't rename.
3. If I try and right-click on a menu, it shows briefly and then disappears; this is more system app related as I am able to do this without issue in firefox.

I've since timeshifted back to 19.1 thinking it was something in the update, however, the problem seems to persist.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever encountered something like this before and figured out how to fix it? I suppose it is always possible that the touchpad itself is the culprit but it seems more system related.

Thanks!
Last edited by Crawl71 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Bizarro touchpad activity

Post by blueocean » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Can you try a mouse instead? Are you using single or double click? If single, try double.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Crawl71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Crawl71 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:02 pm

blueocean wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:58 pm
Can you try a mouse instead? Are you using single or double click? If single, try double.
Yes, I tried a mouse as well. While dealing with a seperate issue, I did a complete shutdown and restart and the problem seem to go away. I've encountered it a few times since and a sd/rs seems to temporarily fix it.

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueocean » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:07 pm

And double click or single? Did it behave with the mouse?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Crawl71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Crawl71 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:25 pm

So it was happening again but this time the cursor would shake on the right side and if I tried to move it would go about a quarter way across the screen and then jump back. Disabled the touchpad, plugged in a usb mouse and it continued to do the same thing.

Time to do some more research! 🤔

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueocean » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Can you boot to a live session (the installation media you used) and see in it behaves that way? If it does, it points to a hardware issue, and not a corruption in the file system. Something like this can be tough to isolate. I suppose you could put the Win drive back on it temporarily to see if it does it there.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:30 am

BIZARRO
Sometimes I think I am living there.

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueocean » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:06 pm

I had a similar issue long ago and it turned out to be a stuck keyboard key. Eventually I figured it out by tapping each key to verify it was fully rebounding. So I'm still wondering if your issue occurs during a live session?

Crawl71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Crawl71 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:54 pm

The live session resulted in the issue disappearing. I made the decision that I was just going to start fresh; wiped and installed 19.2. Issue seems to have been resolved. Perhaps a lesson-learned not to just dump an installed system into another computer!

Return to “Other topics”