Laptop won't enter standby

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Laptop won't enter standby

Post by Shiratori » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:50 am

For some reason my Lenovo T430 running 19.2 has stopped being able to enter standby. I noticed it yesterday when I got home from work and got it out of my laptop bag and it was hot as it had stayed on despite closing the lid. I have tried a reboot and it initially worked but it has now stopped going into standby again. Not sure what to check so any assistance would be appreciated.

gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Laptop won't enter standby

Post by gittiest personITW » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:17 am

Hi - Don't know what you've checked, so just in case, start off with the easy bits.....
Can you check
System Settings / Screensaver Settings

Also, is there a setting in BIOS that is to do with shutting the lid?

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:46 am

Shiratori, are you using Cinnamon, Mate or Xfce?

I have a Lenovo T430 as well, I am running LM19.2 Cinnamon and I dont have any problems with the lid closing and suspend. Just for clarity, hibernation is disabled by default in LM19/19.1/19.2

Perhaps there is a program that wakes up your computer? Recently installed anything new?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:53 am

Make sure your machine is running on the latest kernel.

When that doesn't help, consider this workaround:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID3
(item 3 )
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiratori » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 am

carum carvi wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:46 am
Shiratori, are you using Cinnamon, Mate or Xfce?

I have a Lenovo T430 as well, I am running LM19.2 Cinnamon and I dont have any problems with the lid closing and suspend. Just for clarity, hibernation is disabled by default in LM19/19.1/19.2

Perhaps there is a program that wakes up your computer? Recently installed anything new?
Sorry, forgot to say that I'm using Cinnamon.

I've not installed anything recently and it was working fine until yesterday evening when I closed the lid for my journey home from work.

If I select "Suspend" from the shutdown menu it locks the screen. Then the screen blanks briefly and comes back on. Then it does it again and then sits at the lock screen.

I'm happy to check any logs for errors if someone can point me in the right direction. I've left the laptop switched on at home with TeamViewer running so I can connect to it easily if required.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:58 am

I believe many laptops have a magnetic switch in the lid to turn them off. If the magnet becomes dislodged it can not turn off. Can you hear a rattle when it is shaken?
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gittiest personITW » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:18 am

Is it worth booting up a liveDVD/USB version of LM and seeing if you get exactly the same result?
Can even try Live versions of other distros - just to see if they all do it or not.
If they do then chances are, as Cliff said, magnet or sensor damaged (unless setting in BIOS)

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiratori » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:18 am

It's not a problem with the lid as it has the same behaviour when putting it into standby from the start menu.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:06 am

Shiratori wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 am
If I select "Suspend" from the shutdown menu it locks the screen. Then the screen blanks briefly and comes back on. Then it does it again and then sits at the lock screen. I'm happy to check any logs for errors if someone can point me in the right direction.
Do you have your screensaver DISabled in System Settings / Screensaver? When I press suspend from the menu I go into suspend and not into a lock screen, like you have experienced. Have you checked in System Settings / Power Management that lock screen is not enabled in any setting, neither for AC or battery?

Shiratori, do you dualboot with Windows? Do you have a SSD installed? I ask because certain BIOS settings in relation to both Windows and a SSD in a Lenovo Thinkpad could wake your computer up.

Could you check the following:

-Menu / Administration / Logs.
Look at the Important tab and copy any errors into this forum. Look at other tabs as well to determine what happens at the exact time your laptop wakes up by itself after you have suspended it.

-Menu / Administration / System reports
Check the crash and information reports and if there are any copy them back into this forum.

What you could try to do as a simple test:
Detach all cables and usb devices from the laptop. And check if it still wakes up from suspend by itself. A wireless mouse or keyboard or network could wakeup your computer.

It could be worth it to have a look at the lenovo thinkpad forum. There is an active community with lots of helpful tips for Lenovo Thinkpad (T430) users.

https://forum.thinkpads.com

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiratori » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:17 am

After a full shutdown and power off it's working again.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:19 pm

I've had this happen on a few occasions. Seems there was some process running which prevented the machine from going into standby or hibernating successfully. A couple of times recently, I've had to repeat the "Suspend" request (once) for it to go to sleep.

Lid close, BTW, is set to turn off the display (or "Do Nothing" if that option isn't available) on my machines .. but I do observe that on my "new" Thinkpad T440 that opening the lid wakes it up (at least from suspend). So perhaps it was erroneously "detecting" a lid event.

That screen blanking, then lighting up again before going off altogether is the usual behaviour on my systems when there are a number of programs open.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Return to “Other topics”