Unable to delete files from trash

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GreenGoulash

Unable to delete files from trash

Post by GreenGoulash »

Hi,

I deleted some files from a USB flash drive, then reformatted the drive.
The files are still visible in the Trash, but I can't delete them (nor can I restore them).

Any suggestions on how I can force their deletion?
(I'm running Linux Mint 19.)

Thanks,
David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable to delete files from trash

Post by rene »

Probably be logging out and back in (or reboot). As in, the files will be lone gone as a result of the format, and it'll likely just be a caching issue...
GreenGoulash

Post by GreenGoulash »

rene wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:49 am Probably be logging out and back in (or reboot). As in, the files will be lone gone as a result of the format, and it'll likely just be a caching issue...
Thanks for the reply.
So the files are gone after restarting, but when I plug another USB back into the computer the files reappear in the trash. And still can't be deleted. Other than re-formatting this flashdrive, any suggestions?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

With no USB plugged in, does rm ~/.local/share/Trash/*/* help?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Hi,
I had the same problem a few weeks back (The first method didn't work so I tried the second).
Firstly, just try plugging in the drive, then opening Nemo and 'Empty Rubbish Bin'.

In Cinnamon I used Nero to get rid of them. (in Mate, use Thunar I assume)
The way I managed it -
Open Nemo
Right-click an empty space and choose 'Open as Root'
This opens a red-framed window - CAREFUL - everything you do here will be done without asking for confirmation. EVERYTHING.
Go to VIEW at the top, 'Enable View Hidden Files' should be ticked
Delete the '..trash' and '.trash' and any other folders/files you are having problems with.
Close the red window immediately after destroying what you want to destroy, before a cat runs over the keyboard destroying an important file.

Post back if that doesn't do it.
I think I got the problem in the first place by deleting the .trash folder manually and not as root. But not sure. Can try and replicate it if you need it.
GreenGoulash

Post by GreenGoulash »

gittiest personITW wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:32 am Hi,
I had the same problem a few weeks back (The first method didn't work so I tried the second).
Firstly, just try plugging in the drive, then opening Nemo and 'Empty Rubbish Bin'.

In Cinnamon I used Nero to get rid of them. (in Mate, use Thunar I assume)
The way I managed it -
Open Nemo
Right-click an empty space and choose 'Open as Root'
This opens a red-framed window - CAREFUL - everything you do here will be done without asking for confirmation. EVERYTHING.
Go to VIEW at the top, 'Enable View Hidden Files' should be ticked
Delete the '..trash' and '.trash' and any other folders/files you are having problems with.
Close the red window immediately after destroying what you want to destroy, before a cat runs over the keyboard destroying an important file.

Post back if that doesn't do it.
I think I got the problem in the first place by deleting the .trash folder manually and not as root. But not sure. Can try and replicate it if you need it.
That worked, thanks!

rene wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:30 am With no USB plugged in, does rm ~/.local/share/Trash/*/* help?
This didn't work. But thanks for posting.

Return to “Other topics”