Malware Question about Phishing E-Mails

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gualicho32
Level 2
Level 2

Malware Question about Phishing E-Mails

Post by Gualicho32 »

Hey guys,

I'm sure that similar questions have been asked before, but what is the minimum amount of participation a Mint user would need on their own end to inadvertently activate a malicious script or process on their system through a spoofed trojan e-mail? As I understood it through the years, no program can become executable in a unix based system without downloading or okaying it with administrative privileges? What about simply opening the suspicious e-mail to inspect its contents and clicking the button to display the associated "remote content" like pictures and logos? I'm sure this could be bad on a Windows system, but what about Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Malware Question about Phishing E-Mails

Post by gm10 »

Gualicho32 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:39 pm As I understood it through the years, no program can become executable in a unix based system without downloading or okaying it with administrative privileges?
That's a misunderstanding. You don't need administrative privileges, and you already downloaded the email and its attachments.
Gualicho32 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:39 pm What about simply opening the suspicious e-mail to inspect its contents and clicking the button to display the associated "remote content" like pictures and logos? I'm sure this could be bad on a Windows system, but what about Linux?
Same as on Windows, stay away from suspicious attachments, nothing good will come from it.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Linux may free you from viruses but NOT browser hacks.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Gualicho32 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:39 pm What about simply opening the suspicious e-mail to inspect its contents and clicking the button to display the associated "remote content" like pictures and logos?
It's curiosity that killed the cat.

I just right-click and Delete suspicious mail without ever seeing
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Other topics”