Reasons why I'm still not happy but actually happy with Mint...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ThatGodotGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Reasons why I'm still not happy but actually happy with Mint...

Post by ThatGodotGuy »

Greetings all,
Thanks in advance for listening to me complain. I'm not as droll in person, but you can't know that...

1. I have a Wacom tablet with touch function. Every time I start Mint I need to open my 'Dont touch on me' file with the terminal commands to turn touch off and do another thing. I have tried to set this script to run on start to no avail. The Linux gods continue to taunt me. See TL;DRUNK.

2. Steam Proton promised so much, delivered not so much. GTAV didn't work. At least The Escapists 2 wors well on it. Anyone else here using Proton?

3. I tried to get rid of the login keyring thing when I open Chrome. I accidentally erased all saved passwords and still get the keyring thing. I have learned to live with it, but would like the home address of the person who made that 'feature'. I have a sharp object I would like to show to them... (kidding, don't ban me!!)

4. Even after 4 years of Ubuntu (which I liked until I tried Mint, now I know where I wanna be), and 7 months of living and working in Mint, I am still getting divorced. Even if Mint could have saved the marriage, it couldn't make my ex-wife love me any more than win10 or Ubuntu could. What makes all that suffering more bearable is that my now 8 year old daughter had her own Ubuntu desktop from the age of 3, and she used it like a BOSS!

TL;DRUNK => Too Long; Don't Read Unless Noteworthily Knowledgeable
Script says:
xsetwacom --set "Wacom Intuos Pro M Finger touch" touch off;
xsetwacom --set "Wacom Intuos Pro M Pen stylus" button +2 "key Ctrl" "key Z";
In Edit Startup Program dialog I have
Command: /home/myusername/touchoff.sh
Startup delay 1 second >> Is that too quick?
touchoff.sh is... Oh. I just realised, touchoff.sh was named incorrectly. Now It works.

Final word crammed in -> Blender is amazing (10+ years XP), Godot is very promising (8 months XP), Krita is something I am looking forward to learning (15 years XP with CELSYS ClipStudio. sorry...). Mint has been a pleasure to test, and I am no longer testing it. I hereby put the ring on Mint"s finger.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Reasons why I'm still not happy but actually happy with Mint...

Post by trytip »

I tried to get rid of the login keyring thing when I open Chrome
i haven't saved any passwords in chrome. a simple search on google will reveal part of the command i use to open chrome. edit it accordingly in your menu and you will not get a password prompt. you can remove if you like or edit --force-device-scale-factor=1.3 what this does is scale chrome. 1 is normal 2 is large 3 is really large. depending on your scaling in your desktop 1.3 - 1.7 is about decent

Code: Select all

google-chrome-stable --password-store=basic --force-device-scale-factor=1.3 %U
i don't know if the whole content of your script is what you posted, but is it executable?
Last edited by trytip on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleeper12
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sleeper12 »

You can also eliminate the keyring problem here:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID15
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

ThatGodotGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:28 am
3. I tried to get rid of the login keyring thing when I open Chrome.
I've done it before a few times and had to remove the Keyring problem on a friend's Linux Mint last night on a new install.
This is the method I use -

Close Chrome.

Open the file manager,

Press ctrl+H or choose show hidden files from menu, go to -

.local/share/keyrings,

Move the files to some backup folder.

Open Chrome, there will be a pop up asking you to set a keyring password - Leave it blank,

Continue
Continue

If everything works, you can delete the backup you saved earlier and / or put the password files back where they were.
ThatGodotGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThatGodotGuy »

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply, and sorry I didn't thank you at the time. I've been a little bit alcoholic lately so haven't been following up on stuff.

Return to “Other topics”