Physical Hard Drive Switch?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Physical Hard Drive Switch?

Post by gittiest personITW » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:21 pm

@ absque fenestris

This one as you see has USB3 / 3.5" SATA / 2.5" SATA easy access.
Fancy some double glazing while I'm at it? Or life insurance? Or a car?

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:02 pm

gittiest personITW wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:21 pm
@ absque fenestris

This one as you see has USB3 / 3.5" SATA / 2.5" SATA easy access.
Fancy some double glazing while I'm at it? Or life insurance? Or a car?
The mentioned "Chieftain" part has floppy disk size - a very nice and especially small 4 rack system could have been built with it. And the lock is ingeniously solved - copied from the SCSI Hotplug server systems, but in small format and just as a double use.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gittiest personITW » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:24 pm

absque fenestris wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:02 pm
The mentioned "Chieftain" part has floppy disk size - a very nice and especially small 4 rack system could have been built with it. And the lock is ingeniously solved - copied from the SCSI Hotplug server systems, but in small format and just as a double use.
Very nice and handy. The older cases, although having lots of sharp bits in them, were quite efficient with their footprint.
Cases seemed to get more chunky over the last few years, and now it seems the really new ones are doing away with external bays altogether. Can't figure out why.

redx87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redx87 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:15 pm

pendrifter wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:10 am

I appreciate everybody's input, but my question still stands.
Why not just run each os on it's own computer.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:01 pm

there was an method, used some years ago, where an caddy was inserted into the front of your desktop machine,
and then an pata grade hard-disk, was then inserted into that caddy.

it was widely promoted, at the time, as an great solution, to enable the transfer of large files,
and it worked great .. for an while, at least.

what happened later on, and was not widely discussed, as to why the promoter stopped using the caddy idea:
- the failure of the slide / contacts that were between the caddy & that hard-disk - - wore out, rather rapidly.
:o

later on, usb memory sticks, became much bigger & the Internet became much faster,
& thus the requirement of moving those large files, was negated.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:03 am

pendrifter wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:40 am
But the drive itself will still be visible, and what's worse, it will be visible as a potentially "unformatted" drive(!) What happens when Ten gets arrogant enough to see an "unformatted" drive and appropriate it?
In the "just because you're paranoid ..." department, look at this Forum thread where that very thing happened to a LUKS encrypted drive.

Can't help with the switch question, though. My solution is to use separate computers.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

SomeDudeInAZ
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SomeDudeInAZ » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:35 pm

That USB switch thingy is neat. I'll have to check that out.

Which also made me think of exactly what many others have said - Drive Caddies. I've seen them for SSDs and HDDs. Back in the day when I was doing IT we used to use them all the time (I think the brand then was ICY Dock). But a quick check on amazon shows plenty of options. Most bios I've seen will require a reboot when you switch.

I actually may pick up a couple myself for backups.

Also, your case may have that kind of option. My old Cooler Master (CM Storm) has an external drive bay built in for 2.5". So it's almost like the old days when I had to boot off a floppy disk :lol: Only this time it's SSDs that I pop in and out.

murray wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:15 pm
If your hard drives connect via USB then you can get a USB hub that has switches for each USB port. This will allow you to turn on the USB port for the drive you want to use and leave the other one off.

This is the one I've got and it lets me leave USB devices plugged into the hub and switch them on and off as needed: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/USBMBE ... individual It even has a light next to each switch so I can see which are on and which are off. Oh, and it's a powered hub, so power isn't an issue

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:41 pm

RIH wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:47 am
If you are really that worried then have Windows 10 installed on 1 USB drive & Linux installed on another.
Then only plug in the USB OS you want to run.

For me.. Pierre's advice would be good to go.. but I don't worry about an great deal of 'stuff' that other folks do.. :D
This is where I prefer docking stations. USB 3.0 or SATA. Pop in the hard drive of your choice. When done out comes the drive rendering it safe.

Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:15 pm

This may be what you are looking for:

Kingwin Hard Drive Power Switch Module for 2.5 inch/3.5 inch SATA
https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Optimize ... 00TZR3E70/

I bought 2 of these today at Fry's. It has good reviews on Amazon. I will post a follow up in a few days to tell how it worked for me.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:53 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:53 pm
You could run mint only and with virtual box run win 10.
+1

This, IMO is the best solution. What is so critical that you need windwoes for, anyway?
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:32 am

Way back in the 2018s, I removed a 3.5" SATA slot from the front of my desktop. They are a neat way to swap disks so long as the power is off. Some of them also fit 2.5" disks.

eSATA and USB 3.1 provide sufficient speed for a good SATA SSD or an mSATA SSD in the right enclosure. If you have either port, plugging in different disks will work. For USB 3.1, it has to be genuine USB 3.1 "gen 2", not the fake "USB 3.1 gen 1".

Paranoia is just another name for the PTSD caused by Windows 8 and 10. While I am typing, I have clonezilla running in an attempt to save a friend's data from a Windows machine. The disk started failing months ago and Windows decided to hide the problem until the disk could no longer boot. :shock:

Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Wade wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:15 pm
This may be what you are looking for:

Kingwin Hard Drive Power Switch Module for 2.5 inch/3.5 inch SATA
https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Optimize ... 00TZR3E70/

I bought 2 of these today at Fry's. It has good reviews on Amazon. I will post a follow up in a few days to tell how it worked for me.
I have installed this hard drive power switch and highly recommend it. Installation was easy, and it works perfectly.

I have Windows and 2 Linux distros on 3 separate hard drives. I rarely ever use Windows, so I just leave that drive powered off most of the time, and whenever I do use it, I power off my Linux drives. This is probably the only safe way to have Windows on the same computer with Linux.

Return to “Other topics”