[SOLVED] Are topics purged, if so how long do they stay up?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
E1-Beard-0
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Are topics purged, if so how long do they stay up?

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Hello all,

In this topic: viewtopic.php?t=256058, there are some commands and explanations that I will find useful.

1) If topics are saved "forever", then all I need to do is bookmark it for future reference.

2) If on the other hand, due to the finite character of available server storage space, do topics that have not been viewed in some arbitrary length of time get purged out of necessity?

3) If #2 is correct, is there some way to obtain a copy, by preference in some form that's editable. I don't need or want the entire topic, just the commands mentioned and the explanation of those commands.

Yes, I'm aware that this forum and the creator's of this website own the copyright on that material. I have no difficulty in making such an acknowledgement. My intention is that the copy would only be for my personal use, I do not intend to make any commercial use of the copy.

Respectfully yours, E1-Beard-0
Last edited by Moem on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you, in such a way that it can be seen on the forum overview page; you can do this for your own topics. Thanks!
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Are topics purged, if so how long do they stay up?

Post by Moem »

They are not purged.
I believe that makes most of your other questions irrelevant. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

For things that I find useful, I simply copy the text and make a locally stored text file of it (of course, backing it up just like every other file I have). That way I never have to worry about it disappearing.

I really don't think any copyright laws come into play, do they? I mean, if I write something on a forum, that doesn't make the forum the copyright holders of what I've written, or does it?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'm with Schultz. It's also easier to find a useful command in your "useful stuff" file than trawling through decades of posts.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

I also find saving an interesting post as an independent text file is the best solution.
The program Zim offers a very good possibility: it is fast like a notepad, you assign a title e.g. "Linux" and you can later assign subtitles etc. and after a while you have practically created a structured book.
I use Zim under Linux and Windows and don't want to miss it anymore.

https://zim-wiki.org/
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

One of the many reasons I use Osmo is the fact it has a Notes section. At present it has 47 separate notes, most related to computers. I have found it invaluable and ensure it is included in my backups.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

I just bookmark useful posts (in my browser but you can also store the bookmarks with the forum software itself), that way I can easily link others to them.
E1-Beard-0
Level 3
Level 3

(Solved) Re: Are topics purged, if so how long do they stay up?

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Folks at the Linux Mint forums,

Thank you very much for the all the illuminating and useful replies. I'll pursue those suggestions as time allows.

Thank you very much and respectfully yours E1-Beard-0
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Are topics purged, if so how long do they stay up?

Post by murray »

I use Google Keep to keep little notes and snippits that I might find useful in the future. You can colour-code the notes and also search them. And because it's Google I can access them from any computer/phone/tablet that I'm logged in on.

Here's what a portion of my Google Keep notes looks like:

Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
E1-Beard-0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Murray,

Thank you for that tip, I hadn't considered that option, I'll look into Google Keep when the press of other matters that seem more important thins out, likely story eh?

I will add that, in general, I try not to keep personal information about myself online, in the cloud, whatever, no doubt that ship has sailed long ago, none-the-less, the less personal info that's out there the better.

Again many thanks and respectfully yours, E1-Beard-0
E1-Beard-0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Moem wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:00 pm
They are not purged.
I believe that makes most of your other questions irrelevant. :)
Moem, I apologize, I neglected to thank you for your reply. I did think that purging old posts might be a necessity due to lack of storage space.

Thank you and respectfully yours, E1-Beard-0
E1-Beard-0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Schultz wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:05 pm
For things that I find useful, I simply copy the text and make a locally stored text file of it (of course, backing it up just like every other file I have). That way I never have to worry about it disappearing.

I really don't think any copyright laws come into play, do they? I mean, if I write something on a forum, that doesn't make the forum the copyright holders of what I've written, or does it?
All, perhaps it will not be amiss to explain my concern about copyright. I lurk at another site that takes copyright very seriously indeed. [I don't think I'll post a link or give the name of that website as it contains some adult material and tolerates swearing, flame wars, etc. Not-with-standing the previous, the site is extremely vigilant in regard to copyright to the extent that copyright abuse, as rather narrowly defined, that is per U.S. statute, is a ban-able offence.]

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

E1-Beard-0 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:43 pm
Schultz wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:05 pm

All, perhaps it will not be amiss to explain my concern about copyright. I lurk at another site that takes copyright very seriously indeed. [I don't think I'll post a link or give the name of that website as it contains some adult material and tolerates swearing, flame wars, etc. Not-with-standing the previous, the site is extremely vigilant in regard to copyright to the extent that copyright abuse, as rather narrowly defined, that is per U.S. statute, is a ban-able offence.]

About Copyrights: Complete digital copies of a protected work are problematic or simply forbidden.
Quotations as text from a book or a website are allowed (to be on the safe side, add the author or the corresponding link).
Music is problematic - even as random background music in a self-made film.
Protected logos are also problematic - Apple seems to be particularly biting here.
In the case of pictures, the author must be indicated. Always check whether it is in the public domain or protected. If in doubt, do not use publicly.
What might go through here in the Mint Forums could cause problems on your own website.
Also fonts on own websites are sources for trouble: please use really free* fonts...

* The license must include private, public and commercial use.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
E1-Beard-0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Once again, Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread, I appreciate your willingness to devote the time and effort of making those replies.

Return to “Other topics”