Killing a Program

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Killing a Program

Post by jbaerbock »

I sometimes am stuck with a fullscreen program frozen and cannot use alt+f4 to close it. Is there a keyboard combo to kill the program? I tried alt+tab and alt+space and nothing did it, Linux was not frozen but since I was in fullscreen couldn't do anything. Also is there a shortcut key to bring up a task manager sort of like what windows has so I can view and kill processes? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

you could ctl-alt-F1 to get to a terminal session and then find and kill off your program using the ps and kill commands. and ctl-alt-F7 to get back to Gnome.

OR

you could Restart the Gnome Session with Ctl-alt-backspace.
then login again.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
roseway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roseway »

In KDE you can do Ctrl+Alt+Esc then click on the program you want to kill, but I don't know if it works with Gnome.

Eric
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
You can (if not totally frozen) open terminal, type xkill and drag skull and crossbones to program you wish to kill

Nick
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

I tried the ctrl+alt+f1 command and got a black screen and that's it. Is there a command for opening a terminal window? Thanks
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Right click Panel > Add to Panel, double click Force Quit. Hey presto, Force Quit applet is added to panel.

System Preferences > Keyboard Shorttcuts, scroll down to Run a Terminal, then pick your shortcut keys.

Alternately, install Yakuake or Tilda, both drop down terminals like the one in Quake.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Husse

Post by Husse »

tried the ctrl+alt+f1 command and got a black screen
You should not! You should get a TTY, but I remember having this problem (or something like it) when I had Beryl installed a couple of months ago
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ryl&t=1963
Don't know if that helps you as it talks of completely removing Beryl

Return to “Other topics”