Mint 19.3 and Apple iOS 13.3 any new successful syncing methods?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
seantm
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19.3 and Apple iOS 13.3 any new successful syncing methods?

Post by seantm »

Hello All - happy new year and decade. Beofre I put my inquiry out there I'd first like offer a round of applause for the mint dev team on Tricia. It appears to be a very stable and smooth release -many thanks! :)

So here's a questions which has been asked before given all the great development is worthy of asking again. does anyone out there have any successful working solutions for transferring ifles -specifically, image files from iOS (13.3) to a Mint box? I've already tried several of the older methods posted involving libimobiledevice and Oplayer etc. No luck.

If anyone has found and applied and there's any -truly working- solutions out there can you please post and share? TIA... :D

P.S. Those who feel compelled to express how much they hate Apple etc. at every opportunity they have need not waste time commenting here. Thanks again!
May the Fourth be with you-

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 19.3 and Apple iOS 13.3 any new successful syncing methods?

Post by BenTrabetere »

seantm wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:21 am
If anyone has found and applied and there's any -truly working- solutions out there can you please post and share? TIA... :D
I have given up trying to connect an iThing to a Linux box - it was my experience that everything that worked stopped working with the next iOS update.

The only "truly working solution" I have found to transfer files from my iThings to a Linux box is to upload them to a file service like Dropbox or pCloud. In the distant past I used Dropbox, but its per device limits forced me to pCloud.
P.S. Those who feel compelled to express how much they hate Apple etc. at every opportunity they have need not waste time commenting here. Thanks again!
Sorry if this offends, but this is an Apple problem, created and maintained by Apple. Things would be so much easier if Apple started playing nice.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:51 am
... Sorry if this offends, but this is an Apple problem, created and maintained by Apple. ...
If you own an Apple device and wanted to connect it to a Linux box, it's a LINUX problem.

Relative
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Relative »

I was using nitroshare 0.3.1 between a MacBook Pro and Linux for some time very successfully. It will transfer individual files or entire directories - but only on your local network. https://launchpad.net/nitroshare/0.3/0.3.1 is where you can find it. I think this is the best version. Install it on any machine you want to enable cross-communication.

I no longer use Apple IOS - I now have Linux Mint Cinnamon running on the MacBook Pro and since Apple abandoned support for my particular MacBook Pro, I have no desire to buy a new machine just to stick with Apple.

Mike
Lenovo T430, Lenovo L430, Dell N7110, Toshiba A215, Fujitsu C2220, Dell Inspiron 8600, Raspberry pi 3b+ and pi 4, Old home-built P4 desktop and recently rescued a MacBook 2,1 with Mint Cinnamon 19.3 and MacBook Pro2,1 with same 64-bit software.

stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Not sure if this is a solution for you, however, I have a MacMini and an iMac running macOS and a MacMini and a MacBook Pro running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon. I share files between my macOS and Mint boxes via iCloud. It is a little cumbersome, requiring uploading/downloading files to and from the Mint boxes, I connect my iPhone to my Mint boxes via Bluetooth. It's not true "Syncing" but it works for me.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB,

MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8 GiB.

ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

One possible way to see and transfer files on your PC over the LAN to the Mac using its web-browser might be to start a simple http server using python on the PC with command

Code: Select all

python -m SimpleHTTPServer 1111
This will start the server on the PC using port 1111, which you can change to a different port if you wish.

On the Mac web browser you should then be able to go to the PC server using the PC's IP address followed by the port number you chose, separated with : (a colon).

This is, I admit, one way only and certainly not syncing, but if iOS-13.3 uses, or can use, python perhaps you can do the same in the opposite direction. This works within a LAN only not over the web.
I also do not have much info on the security problems which using this might have so use only if you are happy to search more on the subject.

bscho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bscho »

Mint 19.3 is a load of worms and should be withdrawn.

Dual boot with Linux Mint 19.2 with the cinnamon desktop. Then in Linux click on the Computer icon you will find both partitions click on the Man one and find you files there edit them there from the Cinnamon desktop or copy them to your Mint file system.

Bao2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bao2 »

seantm wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:21 am
Are you able to read minds? :D

I don't have Apple but I suppose it can share a folder for windows. Linux can also so then just browse the local net to enter the folders.
In Linuxmint just right click a folder and enter the share options, make it available for everyone, guests and all. Then in Apple browse for
computers in the local net and you will be able to open the folder if it is able to understand windows net, I suppose yes because Bill Gates and Apple
are in the same Conspiracy group against the people of the world. Bill also has a criminal business of vaccines going that will explode this year or next...

This link tells you how to enable in Apple to share folders with a windows network (that will work with linux too):

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... lp1657/mac

redd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by redd »

EDIT: I misinterprated iOS and MacOS, therefore my previous suggestion of Syncthing is not applicable
Last edited by redd on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

This has ALWAYS been a problem caused by Apple because they just don't like the idea of you using anything other than Apple products. Even Microsoft had to jump through hoops to write the necessary drivers to get an Apple product to work on Windows. And sometimes, it didn't. If Apple changed the OS, then Microsoft had to figure that one out, too.

When I connect my Samsung S10 to any computer I have running Mint I have ZERO problems. It's like a USB drive and it just works. Why can't Apple do that? Because they don't WANT to. For all of Apple's public Kumbaya bluster about "everyone getting along," in private they want an Apple-only monopoly and if your non-Apple computer doesn't work with their iThing (I love that!) then tough luck to you.

For the OP's problem, the only answer is 5 or more steps deep. It will involve using some 3rd party hardware (cloud, local server, etc.) and is by Apple's own design. It's easy if you have a brand new iMac or Macbook; it's difficult if you don't. The best answer is the cloud. It is currently available and all devices can connect. That is my recommendation. Make sure you have flawless connections from both your Apple and Linux devices to whatever cloud service you choose. If you have lots of data you may have to pay for extra storage. One thing to remember, in reality there is no cloud; there are only other people's computers. You and the security & privacy of your data is at someone else's mercy.

Return to “Other topics”