Corrupt downloads

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Corrupt downloads

Post by Mazda81 »

I have a machine that suffers from corrupted downloads. This is a particular problem when new kernels are issued as the machine often won’t boot after updating the kernel. This happens because the kernel update is corrupted. After reverting back to the previous kernel and deleting the new one the update is sometimes successful.
Does anyone know what might cause downloads to become corrupt. Someone suggested that it might be a ram issue. I ran memtest for 8 hours and nothing was reported.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Corrupt downloads

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Please open your "terminal" and copy and paste the code below into the terminal and then copy and paste the results in between the "code tags" ( </> )back here so we can be of help...DAMIEN

EDIT...you may be trying to run a kernel that your hardware may not be designed to use.
ORDO AB CHAO

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

I can't find the code you refer to.
This is not a kernel issue it's just that the problem is most apparent when updating kernels. It is a very old single core machine and has had this problem for a long time. To give you an idea of the nature of the issue if I were to download 20 flac audio files at least 10 of them would be corrupt and would not play. I had an update for Opera today and it was corrupt and would not run. I replaced the downloaded file on the affected machine with a clean download from another machine to get around the issue. I think it's a hardware issue of some kind.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I am so sorry to be such an "airhead"...lol...I totally spaced that one...DAMIEN
I can't find the code you refer to.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
ORDO AB CHAO

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

andrew@andrew-desktop ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: andrew-desktop Kernel: 4.15.0-72-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: N/A model: MS-7093 Bios: Phoenix v: 6.00 PG date: 07/01/2005
CPU:       Single core AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (-UP-) cache: 512 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 3979 speed: 2000 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon X300]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1680x1050@59.88hz
           GLX Renderer: ATI RV370
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller
           driver: snd_atiixp bus-ID: 00:14.5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-72-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
           driver: 8139too v: 0.9.28 port: dd00 bus-ID: 02:03.0
           IF: enp2s3 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
           mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 262.9GB (5.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3200826AS size: 200.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Blade size: 62.9GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 182G used: 8.9G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 33.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 162 Uptime: 22 min Memory: 853.8/1993.0MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
I know it's a very old machine and probably time to retire it :)

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

OK...we got a good read out here that shows your system is 15 years old now...your doing great using a low resource using XFCE distribution of LM...your system is using an "antique" AMD single core no threads CPU which is also being used by the Motherboards on board graphics sharing situation....my first question would now be, how much ram is installed at this point???...My second question is who or what told you that your downloads are "corrupt/corrupted"???

the reason I ask is it might well be that your aged system, even though capable of 64 bit systems, may not do well with LM distributions, but once you can tell us how much ram your running as well as what makes you think your downloads are corrupt/corrupted...any of us here will be better informed of your needs and may well direct you to a distribution more suited to your needs with this computer...DAMIEN

Ps...I personally think at this time, that the machine you are using is just to old and slow, using hardware that is outmoded to be able to use any linux mint distribution. I think you have done an extraordinary job just to be able boot it up as well as getting it to even perform at any level you have achieved thus far.
ORDO AB CHAO

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

This machine has 2Gb of ram which I think is the maximum it can take.
An example of corrupt files happened yesterday when there was an update to Opera. After running the update an error message popped up saying that at least one file is corrupt please reinstall Opera. This is happening all the time and affects audio and video downloads but kernel updates are the worst because if they are corrupt the machine won’t boot
I have managed to work around this issue for a long time but maybe it’s time to retire this machine. It’s not my main computer.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

why do people run these hardware destroying tests?
so i think my car's gas pedal is doing something wrong, let me put it in parking and the place a rock on the pedal to run the engine at 7000RPM for eight hours, maybe that will fix something.
i don't even know what you mean by corrupt. you need to be quite specific. never heard of kernel being corrupt

DanJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DanJ »

Last edited by DanJ on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

I never said that the kernel was corrupt. What happens is my machine corrupts the file during the download process. I just wondered if anyone might have an idea as to why this happens. What hardware destroying test are you referring to?

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Danj
The problem isn’t an issue with Linux, I believe it’s probably caused by faulty ram which is why I ran memtest (hardware destroying?). No errors were found despite a very long test. I think I have some ram modules somewhere so I might swap them over and see what happens.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

Mazda81 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:58 pm
What hardware destroying test are you referring to?
pointed out that you ran a memtest for 8 hours? that's hardware stress. a ram module would not corrupt your downloads it would simply fail to boot. still do not know what corrupt means and what happens. next time you get a file that's corrupt post here so that someone can try to reproduce it

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

I have attached a couple of typical error messages I get when performing system updates. Hopefully this will explain what corrupt downloads are..
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-01-08_21-02-34.png
Screenshot_2020-01-08_14-41-16.png

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

either you have a bad internet connection or bad wifi signal and your files did not complete downloading. try:

apt autoremove
apt update
reboot

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

It’s neither of those things as I have 2 other machines on the same WiFi network. They do not suffer from this issue. I have installed and reinstalled LM many times on this machine but this problem always remains. It is not a recent occurrence. It must be hardware related.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

good if you deducted that connection is not issue. if you believe this is hardware, boot your live linux mint and try updating it to see if you get the same errors. there is something wrong with your grub configuration or kernel. it is a pretty old machine at 2005. here are some commands to help you. don't know if xfce installs Logs if not apt install gnome-logs then boot reboot to get a fresh reading, and open Logs. in the Important tab there will be i'm guessing quite a few issues

dmesg | grep -i "error\|warn\|fail"
dmesg -l alert,crit,err,warn

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I think those AMD Athlons are 32-bit only (mine is, and it's a similar one to yours). In my case LM17.3 Xfce ran just fine (ran, because I knocked a cap off the motherboard and haven't replaced it yet).

EDIT: I didn't read your INXI report properly; seems your CPU is indeed 64-bit capable.

What I'd suspect is a failing hard drive. It's worth checking the SMART readings in the Disks utility and posting those here.
Last edited by BG405 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

Yes, why use a 64bit version with so old CPU and with just 2GB RAM available? But be that as it may, it's also worth checking the output of ifconfig for any Rx errors. Maybe your wifi hardware is faulty at that machine.

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

The machine in question is not using wifi it is directly connected to the router by Ethernet cable. Maybe that has something to do with the issue? I installed 64-bit when support for Google Chrome 32-bit ended. Is it still viable to run 32-bit these days?
I ran a disk check and no issues were reported. I will check ifconfig tomorrow.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

^For sure, if file system integrity and SMART data look Ok, that narrows it down quite a bit.

As per viability of using 32bit these days, I agree to the extent to which you depend on Chrome for your browsing needs etc But that's something for you to reconsider since a 32bit OS (and applications) exhibit much smaller memory footprint and are less likely to reduce your machine's performance to the slow swapping level.

Return to “Other topics”