Clouding

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gimcrack
Level 1
Level 1

Clouding

Post by gimcrack »

This is a off the subject topic. That's why I choice Other topic to post this.

I read about cloud systems in my Linux+ mag. I had to check it out myself. I love it, I first check out icloud.com and I really like it. Then I check to see if there was a better one out there and run across g.ho.st website. http://g.ho.st it had more storage space, I thought it was a litter faster, and it look better.

So if you like to get a piece of the cloud, check both out. And post your feed backs here.

Thanks for reading.

ell02
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Clouding

Post by ell02 »

Thanks. I checked it out and made an account.will play with it later.Seems like it would be better suited to my daughter as she uses mobile devices,but hey free 15 gig storage ain't nothing to sneeze at.
On a side note ubuntu 1 runs fine on mint but i'm not crazy about the number of packages it installs,whereas dropbox only needs one.

adrianx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adrianx »

Thanks gimcrack

I've also created an account at g.ho.st. The 15GB storage is very generous, and I have an extra email account now... You should have mentioned your email address (e.g. gimcrack _ g.ho.st) as a reference. Apparently, you get 5GB of extra storage space for each reference.

Mine is adrianx@.... OK, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that. :D

Edit: I have changed gimcrack's address, just in case it really exists. :wink:
Last edited by adrianx on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

adrianx,

When you post your email it is always better to post it in a form that only a human can figure out. Example: fred you_know_what_goes_here gmail. Public sites are routinely scanned for email addresses by spammers and others. But it is done by machine. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

moodywoody
Level 2
Level 2

Post by moodywoody »

I just took a look at this Ghost thing and I can't figure out what use (apart from 15GB free storage) this thing could have,

* I can't ever put sensitive data on their VC, because I don't like other people having access to it
* If I understand correctly I can't install programs (just use what they choose to give me)
* I need high-speed broadband to use it

Now - they seem to offer only some mail, messenger and Google-Docs programs ... and as their services require a browser and broadband anyhow ... what value does a service like this possibly have? My imagination fails me.

gimcrack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gimcrack »

moodywoody

This is how I'll use my g.ho.st account.

My favorite bookmarks in the g.ho.st browser. Goto a friends house, I forgot that lake house rental fees and info, to tell my friend about it. No fear, I use my friends computer, sign on to g.ho.st. Goto the g.ho.st browser, goto my bookmarks. There it is, now I can goto it, and show my friends.

My photos of my kids recent birthday party. I store them at my g.ho.st account. Goto a relatives house. sign on the g.ho.st account using there computer. Now I show them a nice slideshow of my kids at the birthday party.

This g.ho.st account is easy to share files with. So other g.ho.st friends I can share files with.

g.ho.st I'll save all my favorite bookmarks, my photos, music, and documents. In my email have all my contacts. By saving all my valuable info on my g.ho.st account. I have no fear of a computer failure.

I like the games, the office tools, the IM, the buddies list, access to other share files, email client is neat.

You just need an imagination on how to use a g.ho.st account. VM (WebOS)

Return to “Other topics”