Linux Mint Login Issues:

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ststech
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Login Issues:

Post by ststech »

Client System: HP Streambook

Details To Come:

My Workstation: Custom Build with
Motherboard: MSI Motherboard Socket AM3 +
AMD A8 5500 APU w/ Radeon HD Graphics
2x 4GB Kingston Value Select DDR3 Memory

Post updating my clients hp streambook I am no longer able to login to her computer after restarting the machine. A reboot was recommended. The updates were performed yesterday evening about 6:15 PM. I'm accessing the machine remotely via my paid screen connect license.

ststech
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint Login Issues:

Post by ststech »

Dang 10 views already my thread is starred. Well I'm flattered y'all care so much lol. This makes me feel like maybe this wasn't my fault and its something to do with the updates I applied.

I thought I must've closed out the terminal too fast or something. It gave me a reboot required and a not responding error message. Who else is having this same problem?

ststech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ststech »

The system details of my client's machine cannot be gathered at the moment because I logon to the system; sadly. I tried entering into recovery mode on reboot but to no avail. My client and myself both are running Linux Mint 19 x64 bit. She's currently on Linux Mint 19.2 Xfce and I am on Linux Mint 19.3. Cinnamon.

I'll await patiently for a response. I know I am only 1 person. Thanks for reading this and replying. My client isn't in any kind of rush so I thought I would post here to get the information from the source.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

I'd suggest she tries to reboot into the previously installed kernel via grub - Advanced options for Linux Mint....
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

ststech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ststech »

Yes I already tried this last night with her over the phone.

She said she did it and I believe she did but unfortunately it yeilds the same result. I walked her through it step by step.

She still cannot login. Thanks for your reply. I look forward to hearing back from you.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi, sttech.

What precisely does "cannot log in" mean?
The graphical login screen comes up? (yes/no?) - For the moment, I 'll guess that the answer is "yes".
After entering the password there is no error message that the password were incorrect? (no error message, error message?). - For the moment, I 'll guess that the answer is "no error message about incorrect password".
Nonetheless, the graphical login screen re-appears within seconds? (yes/no?) - For the moment, I will assume that the answer is "Yes".

Usually such situations have got either of two root causes:
  • The root filesystem / is full by 100% preventing the system from starting up the graphical desktop.
  • The files ~/.ICEauthority and/or ~/.Xauthority are corrupt.
Solution for the second cause is:
Login to the console monitor and remove the 2 files ~/.ICEauthority and/or ~/.Xauthority before entering your password in the graphical login screen.

Solution for the first cause is:
Boot from the Mint live system and free up some space on the root filesystem on the internal harddisk.

HTH,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

ststech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ststech »

karlchen wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:09 pm
Hi, sttech.

What precisely does "cannot log in" mean?
The graphical login screen comes up? (yes/no?) - For the moment, I 'll guess that the answer is "yes".
After entering the password there is no error message that the password were incorrect? (no error message, error message?). - For the moment, I 'll guess that the answer is "no error message about incorrect password".
Nonetheless, the graphical login screen re-appears within seconds? (yes/no?) - For the moment, I will assume that the answer is "Yes".

Usually such situations have got either of two root causes:
  • The root filesystem / is full by 100% preventing the system from starting up the graphical desktop.
  • The files ~/.ICEauthority and/or ~/.Xauthority are corrupt.
Solution for the second cause is:
Login to the console monitor and remove the 2 files ~/.ICEauthority and/or ~/.Xauthority before entering your password in the graphical login screen.

Solution for the first cause is:
Boot from the Mint live system and free up some space on the root filesystem on the internal harddisk.

HTH,
Karl
Hey Guys it's never clear where to begin typing. Should I start at the top and create new white space when replying to a comment or reply on the thread or should I drop to the bottom and begin typing out my response.

Anyway; Whenever I type in the correct password the system acts like it's going to load up the Cinnamon Desktop Session as it goes black showing the mouse cursor and after waiting for several seconds it then goes to the same login screen.

I tried entering the recovery environment to no avail. I cannot login to anything so the 2nd solution unfortunately isn't an option for me. I'll be over there on Friday evening or possibly later this evening to have physical access and try these methods. I'll keep you posted. If you think of anything else in the meantime please post to let me know.

Thanks So Much;
Mark Y.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi Mark.
Whenever I type in the correct password the system acts like it's going to load up the Cinnamon Desktop Session as it goes black showing the mouse cursor and after waiting for several seconds it then goes to the same login screen.
Reads like the behaviour which I had tried to describe. No complaint about incorrect password, but the login screen returns quickly.
Agreed, without physical access to the affected machine, troubleshooting may be difficult, if not impossible.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Return to “Other topics”