Snapshots-Error with Timeshift

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Snapshots-Error with Timeshift

Post by muffybean »

I am having an issue with Timeshift. I have a SATA disk that is formatted ext4 that I have set up for saving snapshots when I run Timeshift. However, in Timeshift it is not showing them as saved. If I open the drive I am storing them on thery are there and have content. I am showing three captures that indicate this.

This shows a snapshot being created
snapshot-error..png
snapshot-error..png (63.97 KiB) Viewed 877 times

This shows the drive on which they are saved
snapshots-created..png
snapshots-created..png (32.46 KiB) Viewed 877 times

Then finally in this one as you can see there is no snapshot indicated in Timeshift
no-snapsots..png

It is on a 256gb drive and the space does decrease with each snapshot created. I have not come across this before. This is on my Linux MATE media machine. Anyone have a suggestion on what is happening? TIA
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Snapshots-Error with Timeshift

Post by gittiest personITW »

That is weird.

Could you try changing the destination of the snapshots (say to a thumbdrive formatted in EXT4) and see if the same thing happens.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Just doing this now but it is taking a long time, saying it will be over an hour before it is done. It is late here now and will leave it running and check in the morning.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

In Timeshift, click on Settings, then Location. Post back a pic of that.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

After you've done that, try changing the location, then change it back.

AFAICT, Timeshift doesn't save the snapshot information anywhere. Rather, it seems to read the information off the Location. Changing the setting then changing it back might force Timeshift to rebuild the list. Indeed, I would expect it to.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

JerryF wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:28 pm
In Timeshift, click on Settings, then Location. Post back a pic of that.
This is showing the internal SATA HDD set up as location. This is the one that does not show any snapshots when opening Timeshift.
Location-for-saving..png
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

pbear wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:17 am
After you've done that, try changing the location, then change it back.

AFAICT, Timeshift doesn't save the snapshot information anywhere. Rather, it seems to read the information off the Location. Changing the setting then changing it back might force Timeshift to rebuild the list. Indeed, I would expect it to.
First of all when I checked it with the external flash drive in there it had stopped because of insufficient space. However, when I then changedn it back to the internal HDD it was showing a automatic snapshot that was done last night.
After-doing-manual-snap..png
This was after I did a manual snap this morning but as you can see the one showing here below is an automatic one from last night.
After doing the manual I checked the content of the HDD and saw loads of snapshot folders. Could not understand this as I only have the Daily snapshot checked in the settings.

Finally I then formatted a 64gb USB flash drive ext4 and made that the location and I am currently doing a snapshot and it has taken over two hours now and still not finished. It was saying it will take over 3 hours at the early stage. Here is a capture I took an hour agao.
It is currently saying it has 43 minutes to complete and I started it just under two hours ago. Will update when it has completed.
Attachments
Timeshift-64GB-USB..png
snapshots-after-change..png
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

This is still syncing
Still-Syncing..png
has been going now for over an hour and wonder whether I should stop it or run some command in Terminal?
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

no do not stop the process, this takes a while as this is your first snapshot and original as i see from Changed: 1
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

trytip wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:25 pm
no do not stop the process, this takes a while as this is your first snapshot and original as i see from Changed: 1
Sorry trytip after waiting for three hours for this to complete I had to stop it. It is a very old PC (2009 era) that I use for media purposes. The USB ports are very slooow, in fact the one I had the flash drive plugged into is only v.1.0! When using the internal SATA HDD it is a lot quicker. Using that, apart from that automatic one I had last night, does not show the manual snapshots in Timeshift panel. As I said when I look at the drive contents there are snapshots everywhere.

I have a spare Samsung 830 256GB SSH drive and I am considering cloning my current Samsung SSH 128gb drive with the distro on to it via CloneZilla and then riemoving that Seagate 256gb SATA HDD and replacing it with the smaller SSH drive. Wonder whether that may make a difference.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

Its probably worth starting from scratch with the information just to check as it is an oldie ....
Could you copy/paste the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Also, it might be worth making a note of the settings of Timeshift, then changing them all so that it doesn't back up anything except for one folder that you specify.
Do a snapshot onto your usual drive and see if it shows up in the snapshot screen.
If it doesn't, use your default file manager (as root) to have a look at the
/timeshifts/napshots-ondemand
folder and see if something is in there.
If there isn't anything, then, within Timeshift, move the location of snapshots to your flashdrive, and make another snapshot. As you'll only have one folder to make a snapshot from it will be a lot quicker.
See if there is a difference in results between the 2 drives and post back......
Also, make sure that you have enable at least 2 snapshots for 'on-demand' in the tick box in Timeshift.
Good luck.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Hi Gitty I am currently cloning my Samsung 128GB SSH to my faster Samsung 256GB SSH and when this is done I am going to use the bigger drive as sda and all being well on booting will format my older smaller SSH as ext4 to use as backups (Timeshift). The 256 Seagate 256gb SATA HDD I will use as storage for videos and other large files. Once all done I will then check everything out and see what is happening. I have been meaning to bring this bigger Samsung SSH into use since Christmas but have been spending more time on my other machines. Will get back to this when completed. As soon as the new drive is set up I will do the specs

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Right I have completed cloning to the new Samsung 830 and prior to that I had listed the stats on the machine with the old drive.
veronica@veronica:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
Host: veronica Kernel: 5.3.0-40-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 7.4.0 Desktop: MATE 1.22.2 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: M61PM-S2 serial: <filter> BIOS: Award
v: F9d date: 09/03/2009
CPU:
Topology: Triple Core model: AMD Phenom 8600B bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K10
rev: 3 L2 cache: 1536 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 13861
Speed: 1150 MHz min/max: 1150/2300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1150 2: 2300
3: 2300
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GT216GL [Quadro 400] vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVA5 v: 3.3 Mesa 19.2.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:05.0
Device-2: NVIDIA GT216 HDMI Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.1
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.0-40-generic
Network:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte type: network bridge
driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: ec00 bus ID: 00:07.0
IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 706.14 GiB used: 46.22 GiB (6.5%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD PM871 2.5 7mm 128GB
size: 119.24 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST3250410AS size: 232.88 GiB
ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Samsung model: SSD 830 Series
size: 238.47 GiB
ID-4: /dev/sdd type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra Fit size: 114.61 GiB
ID-5: /dev/sde type: USB model: LG USB Drive size: 956.0 MiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 116.87 GiB used: 16.59 GiB (14.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc1
Sensors:
Info:
Processes: 206 Uptime: 4m Memory: 5.81 GiB used: 899.2 MiB (15.1%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20
inxi: 3.0.32
veronica@veronica:~$
This is it with the 830 running the distro.
veronica@veronica:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
Host: veronica Kernel: 5.3.0-40-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 7.4.0 Desktop: MATE 1.22.2 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: M61PM-S2 serial: <filter> BIOS: Award
v: F9d date: 09/03/2009
CPU:
Topology: Triple Core model: AMD Phenom 8600B bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K10
rev: 3 L2 cache: 1536 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 13861
Speed: 1150 MHz min/max: 1150/2300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1150 2: 1150
3: 1150
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GT216GL [Quadro 400] vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVA5 v: 3.3 Mesa 19.2.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:05.0
Device-2: NVIDIA GT216 HDMI Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.1
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.0-40-generic
Network:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte type: network bridge
driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: ec00 bus ID: 00:07.0
IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 585.96 GiB used: 47.07 GiB (8.0%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 830 Series size: 238.47 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST3250410AS size: 232.88 GiB
ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra Fit size: 114.61 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 116.87 GiB used: 16.60 GiB (14.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors:
Info:
Processes: 189 Uptime: 1m Memory: 5.81 GiB used: 521.2 MiB (8.8%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20
inxi: 3.0.32
veronica@veronica:~$
Started to do some things with Timeshift and thought I had selected just the documents folder and it still seemed be backing up everything. Took some captures and when I tried to see what was saved on that Seagate HDD it had disappeared from my system!! I checked Drives and it was not on there, ran Gparted and it was not there either. So I checked the SATA cable to it and tried again but still no luck. So I disconnected it and then connected the smaller Samsung SSH drive instead and when I booted that was showing fine. Seems to me that old Seagate HDD has gone belly up. The machine certainly booted quicker without it. So I am going to take it out, along with the smaller Samsung SSH that still has the distro on to format on another machine. Did try to do this with this machine but it does not allow it to be unmounted in Gparted. Not knowledgeable enough in Linux to know how to do this.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

I have hooked up that Seagate HDD to my other Linux machine and set it as the default backup and tried to do a snapshot and once again it was being panned to take over 2 hours to do. Obviously there is a fault on this drive. I cancelled and set it back to my normal backup drive on the other machine and it backed up in less than a minute!
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

I have now revamped my machine, putting in a second SSD, a 256gb Samsung 830. I partitioned that into three partitions, all in ext4 and one of them labelled Backups. I have opened up Timeshift and used the Backups partition as the location for the snapshots and this works fine now, so can only assume that old Seagate HDD just was not quite right. Plus with the new setup it is a lot quicker working with two SSD's.

Return to “Other topics”