Kernel Update Error

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Kernel Update Error

Post by SilverFox66 »

Running Mint 18.3 64Bit on a dual boot laptop with Windows 7 64Bit. Current kernel is 4.4.0-173.203. 2 older kernels are also still installed. The last couple times I have run the updater and tried to update the kernel, I receive the following error:

Code: Select all

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-headers-4.4.0-174_4.4.0-174.204_all.deb: unable to create '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-174/sound/soc/pxa/Kconfig.dpkg-new' (while processing './usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-174/sound/soc/pxa/Kconfig'): No space left on device
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-headers-4.4.0-174-generic_4.4.0-174.204_amd64.deb: unable to create '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-174-generic/include/config/usb/configfs/acm.h.dpkg-new' (while processing './usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-174-generic/include/config/usb/configfs/acm.h'): No space left on device
The problem is, root has 12GB free, and home has 50GB free. So its not a "no space left on device" issue. Any ideas?

Kadaitcha Man
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Kernel Update Error

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

SilverFox66 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:24 pm
The problem is, root has 12GB free, and home has 50GB free. So its not a "no space left on device" issue.
If the statement above is true, you might wish to suspect disk corruption, and consider backing up all your important files.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi, SilverFox66.
SilverFox66 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:24 pm
The problem is, root has 12GB free, and home has 50GB free. So its not a "no space left on device" issue. Any ideas?
If dpkg diagnoses a "no space left on device" problem, then the relevant filesystem is (almost) full.
Is /boot a separate filesystem on your system? (This is where the kernels and the boot images go.)

Please, post the output of the terminal command

df -h | grep "^/dev/"
Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

*****@Laptop:~$ df -h | grep "^/dev/"
/dev/sda4        28G   17G  9.5G  64% /
/dev/sda6       137G   85G   46G  66% /home
/dev/sda2       526G  313G  214G  60% /media/Laptop-Win7

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi, SilverFox66.

The result of the df command is surprising, I admit. I had seriously expected that it would list a filesystem, which is almost full.
My bet would have been on /boot, because this is the most frequent culprit, in those cases where /boot is a dedicated filesystem.
No filled filesystem in your df output, however.
It is unlikely that during the update operation the available 9.5 GB of disk space on the filesystem / had been temporarily occupied.

Hence I admit that for the moment I have got no better hypothesis to offer. :(

Best regards,
Karl
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

Stupid question: what would be the best program to run (akin to scandisk etc... in Win) to check the integrity etc... of the drive, and see if something is wrong?

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi, SilverFox66.

Not so stupid answer to your not so stupid question: The command is fsck. File system check.
Beware:
You cannot execute fsck on a filesystem which is in use. While your LM is up and running, the filesystems / and /home are in use and cannot be checked.

Therefore, you will have to boot your machine from a LM live system (which you used for installing as well e.g.)

Once the live system is up and running and once the live desktop has been loaded, make sure that the disk partitions /dev/sda4 and /dev/sda6 are not mounted.
In case they are you should be able to unmount them from inside the graphical file-manager.

Terminal commands to check the 2 disk partitions:

sudo fsck -v -f /dev/sda4

sudo fsck -v -f /dev/sda6
HTH,
Karl

Return to “Other topics”