Laptop Docking station...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Laptop Docking station...

Post by tenfoot »

Having successfully got my Lenovo Thinkpad T450s laptop using an external keyboard and monitor, I am now considering whether or not to buy a docking station and have one question.

There is a large difference between the cost of a dock with a power supply and one without. So my question is: What are the disadvantages, if any, of purchasing a dock without a power supply? Engaging my ancient brain, it did occur to me that all it meant was that the laptop power supply has to be able to cope with any peripherals plugged in, as the power connection was plugged directly into the laptop, as normal. But, I could be wrong. Which wouldn't be unusual :-)
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Laptop Docking station...

Post by AndyMH »

As far as I'm aware the power supply to the docking station is identical to the power supply you plug direct into the laptop. At least it is on my T430 docking station. If you have enough power supplies why buy another one?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thank you for your prompt response. That was my thought but I was sufficiently unsure that I was right, that I felt it would be better to seek the advice of others. Your answer certainly makes me a happy geriatric :-)
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

tenfoot wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:17 pm
Having successfully got my Lenovo Thinkpad T450s laptop using an external keyboard and monitor, I am now considering whether or not to buy a docking station and have one question.

There is a large difference between the cost of a dock with a power supply and one without. So my question is: What are the disadvantages, if any, of purchasing a dock without a power supply?
I haven't ever seen a proper docking station without a power supply. I have two Lenovo ThinkPad docks here and they both have their own power supply. The PS is needed because the Lenovo docks provide video and powered USB ports. You can purchase cheap, unpowered USB C 3.1 "docks" on eBay but they suck huge power out of the laptop's USB C port, and, it seems to me, that most of the sucked power is vented as heat, plus their video support is not up to scratch. Really, if you need a dock, don't go cheap, get a powered dock.

I have both types of dock here for my laptop laboratory but I only have the unpowered docks for use in emergency, i.e. if one or more of my powered docks die, or when I need to travel overseas.

This is how I see it... the purpose of a powered dock is to make your laptop more like a desktop. The purpose of an unpowered dock is to provide you with some extra features while travelling.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Return to “Other topics”