[SOLVED] Make a debian package

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
AndyMH
Level 15
Level 15

Re: [SOLVED] Make a debian package

Post by AndyMH »

Wrt knowledge on building debs, you've now caught up with me. If you find what the problem is, post the answer and then I'll learn a little more.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
CuriousMeow
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Make a debian package

Post by CuriousMeow »

AndyMH wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:19 am
Wrt knowledge on building debs, you've now caught up with me. If you find what the problem is, post the answer and then I'll learn a little more.
I think the link you've posted is indeed the answer. I've also found this topic : viewtopic.php?t=266212 , and indeed, I too have been unable to install the mint-artwork thingy, not knowing why. :oops:

However, when packaging with the old computer (with the old dpkg version) for my test package, the package was installed and worked fine on both the old (17.3) computer and the other computer (19.3).

When reading the topic and this comment saying : "The installed dpkg version 1.17.5ubuntu5.4 is too old and cannot handle the .xz archive inside the recent mint-artwork-common package.", I guess it also means there is a difference between a package made with an old version of the dpkg and a recent one ? (That or I completely misunderstood everything.)

The issue (as I see it at least) here is not how to solve the issue of the package not installing (since the answer seems to be what is explained in the topics), but how many people (like me) have no clue about all of this either and wouldn't be able to install the package on their "old" computer. (I really don't think 5 year is old for a computer, but that's another topic.)

I mean, the point of the debian package is that people won't need to install the dependencies manually and don't have to bother about anything. So having them upgrade/update stuff manually in order to be able to install the package would be ironic IMO.

I'm probably going to package 1 on both and let people pick the one that should fit their computer.

Edit : I've reworded my post, the original one was not very clear, it seems, my English is not the best and it gets worse when I'm tired. :oops:

Return to “Other topics”