Can't delete files from NTFS partition

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wildalaska
Level 1
Level 1

Can't delete files from NTFS partition

Post by wildalaska »

Dual boot Mint 19.3 and W10. Can read/write on all ext4 partitions. WAS able to read/write/delete on all NTFS partitions until today. On all NTFS it just stopped, for no known reason; on right clicking it grays out "delete." In file explorer, I tried OPEN AS ROOT, and corrected the permissions. No dice: it reverted to grayed out delete. Last time I had this problem, rebooting didn't help. Problem seemed to go away after I reinstalled 19.3, but I don't know why. Is there a way to fix the permissions? Or is this somehow related to an improper W10 shutdown? Your help will be appreciated!
Last edited by Moem on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed all-caps. Please don't do that.
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: CAN'T DELETE FILES FROM NTFS PARTITION

Post by RIH »

It sounds to me like Windows 10 not shutting down completely so that it can do a fast start up next time.
I believe that this is an issue that you must solve within Windows 10 by ensuring that it shuts down completely.
I do not think that this is an issue that you can correct via your Mint installation.
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
wildalaska
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wildalaska »

Well apparently it was an improper W10 shutdown. Booted to W10 and made sure it was happy on exit. But I would still like to know how to solve this type of problem in Mint, without having to boot W10 (which I hate, and only use when necessary).

Is there a resource that explains how to manage permissions in Mint? It's very confusing...
ernie dingbat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ernie dingbat »

wildalaska wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:35 am
Well apparently it was an improper W10 shutdown. Booted to W10 and made sure it was happy on exit. But I would still like to know how to solve this type of problem in Mint, without having to boot W10 (which I hate, and only use when necessary).

Is there a resource that explains how to manage permissions in Mint? It's very confusing...
Hi, wildalaska

If you don't shut windows down properly and then try to delete the hibernation file from a linux machine, you run the risk of corrupting your windows installation or losing data. I advise that you always do it from windows and not from linux, but if you really must do it from a linux machine, the way to do it is:

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdaN /mnt/win -o remove_hiberfile

You would replace /aN in /dev/sdaN with the device and number for your windows partition, and replace /mnt/win with the path to the mount point. You would have to unmount the read-only partition first of course.

Ernie.
wildalaska
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't delete files from NTFS partition

Post by wildalaska »

Hi Ernie,

Thanks for the info from you (and RIH too). But I have no idea what a "hibernation file" is and I wasn't trying to delete it, just delete files I had made in Mint, but were located on an NTFS partition.

Can you please further educate me?

Thanks
pebcak
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't delete files from NTFS partition

Post by pebcak »

Disable hibernation and fast startup in Windows.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Disable+hiber ... ws.&ia=web

Return to “Other topics”