[SOLVED] Dual booting systems and ransomware

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrT
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Dual booting systems and ransomware

Post by MrT »

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what could potentially happen to someone who has a dual booting system (Windows 10 and Linux Mint) in case Windows 10 disk is attacked by a Ransomware "virus". I would expect that it should not be able to reach the Mint partitions that Windows cannot read. But, what happens to grub? Or are there other issues that I am not even seeing at the moment? I tend to keep a copy of my most relevant documents on both systems and I have 90% of my relevant software running on Linux Mint as well, just in case (some cost me a bit to get a second license, but better safe than sorry; however, most are free). It is just I always assumed that doing this I was basically "invincible" and someone wrote that I would be, but only to some extent.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Dual booting systems and ransomware

Post by iain_33 »

If your files are on a Linux partition like ext4, they're untouchable by Windows or any Windows virus, unless the virus corrupts the partition table - and even then they're recoverable, with some time and effort.

If a virus messes with grub, you could just boot from a Live USB and fix it. Heck, nevermind viruses, Windows messes with grub.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

iain_33 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:31 pm If a virus messes with grub, you could just boot from a Live USB and fix it. Heck, nevermind viruses, Windows messes with grub.
Windows 10 especially hates any other OS. I would not trust it in a dual-boot setup because it IS going to break your dual-boot at some point.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Post by iain_33 »

I'd just add that whether or not you could lose your stuff to ransomware, it's just as likely that you could lose it to HDD failure. Backup, backup, backup!
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I wonder exactly how difficult it would be for these ransomware "authors" to include code which can access ext partitions? ... I wouldn't take the chance, myself. As Iain_33 said - backup!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Run Windows in a passthrough VM. It's challenging to set up, but once done, you will probably never look back.

See viewtopic.php?f=231&t=212692 and there is a newer one I wrote using Pop_OS, but it works with Linux Mint too, except that you need to use grub and not this rather sh!tty kernelstub.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

MrT wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:37 pm ... I always assumed that doing this I was basically "invincible" and someone wrote that I would be, but only to some extent.
No system is invincible.If you give Windows access to your linux files then malware can damage them either via a Windows ext4 add-on or a network share. If you want to be as safe as possible then the solution is to install something like VirtualBox and run Windows in a virtual Machine. You can then make a directory on your linux system and share it with the Windows VM. When you need files from linux to be available to the VM, you simply copy them to the shared directory. This will protect the rest of your filesystem from Windows malware.

Return to “Other topics”