How stable is linux mint 7 Gnome 64-bit

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: How stable is linux mint 7 Gnome 64-bit

Post by exploder »

I tested the 64 bit edition and it was very solid for me. I did read reports on the Ubuntu forum about a need in some cases to upgrade the kernel. Try running the Live CD for a while before deciding to install so you will have an idea on how well it will run on your hardware. I do not see any obvious reasons why you would have any problems but better safe than sorry.
cespinal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cespinal »

Count me in!! Happy 32bit user wondering about switching to 64 on the next release :)
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

my 64 bit version makes a bios noise when I switch it of, i did try to sort it out in the forums, but is seems i am stuch, even the Ubuntu forum have the same pproblem, other than that I like the 64 bit Mint, I did do a mem test and seen no errors, so I reckon it cant be that bad then,

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
aehjr1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aehjr1 »

Glad I saw this and glad someone else is as interested as me. Please report back on your findings, noob707, and I will download and burn a 64-bit as well to test liveCD.

Thanks.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

I use Mint 64 daily and have few if any complaints aside from a problem with flash. On the other hand unless you really need it you won't see much of any improvement over 32 bit. Good Luck
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
aehjr1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aehjr1 »

Thanks again, n00b707! I spent most of my day meandering about the Mint x64 LiveCD. I have some mixed feelings about it though. I too want to get the most out of the memory, having 4GiB as well, and things did seem a bit peppier, Shiretoko in particular, though I didn't have my complete set of addons loaded.

OTOH, I had a miserable time attempting to get my Canon MP620 all-in-one printer working--in fact, that was a complete failure--except for learning a lot. First the two Canon driver debs failed on dpkg as they are i386 packages--but I learned about the "--force-architecture" option for dpkg, and they seemed to install fine. The make of the CUPS Canon-bjnp appeared to go well, and CUPS restarted fine, but all test prints failed. Research showed this likely to be another 64-bit issue, and I found an x64 RPM version of the bjnp CUPS driver, and learned about the "alien" translation program. That again seemed to install fine, but still no joy as test jobs didn't print, and I learned about setting the CUPS error level to debug. This pointed to a CUPS authentication issue, so at best either of the Canon CUPS drivers seem to require the "mint" account to have a password in Mint x64--which of course it doesn't have.

OTOH (isn't that the third hand?), a very helpful chap informed me he had two desktops and one laptop happily running on Mint x64, and Mint recognized his HP printers right away. So, I'll likely be shopping for a new Wifi printer tomorrow--li'l' Sis will get my hand-me-down. I might even pump up the laptop to 8GiB too.

In short, I do like the x64 version and it seems pretty stable to me. The Linux support for Canon is dicey regardless of distro--perhaps we need to boycott Canon (kidding).

HTH
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Didn't read anyone elses replies. Sorry if this is repeated (I'm tired and going to bed right away lol). Anyhow, I run Mint 7 x86_64. Stable. Installing, programs, everything from an average user perspective works just fine. Upgrade the kernel to the newest one if you want Ext4 and cross your fingers that Mint doesn't freeze in the middle of the update or your hooped (broken packages! ARGH). Once done, Ext4 will be stable. If you leave the old kernel chances are that it'll freeze on you if you do any disk-heavy loads.

PS--Brother printers work well too. The 64bit drivers are in the repositories.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh »

I'm also now running x64 Gloria. So far (a couple weeks) everything seems rock solid. My only complaints would be a couple of trivial programs that I can't find x64 versions of. I tried to force the x32 versions, and while one worked the other didn't.

Return to “Other topics”