Keyboard Shortcuts Problems

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CorpusVile
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard Shortcuts Problems

Post by CorpusVile »

Hi

I'm having issues with assigning custom keyboard shortcuts all the others i have set work fine I just need a couple custom ones, I thought it might be a issue with the command set but works fine if i make a new launcher on my desktop i'm running Mint 20

Many thanks
Corpus Vile

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts Problems

Post by xenopeek »

Which edition are you using? Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce? If you don't know check in System Information or in System Reports in your menu.

And what doesn't work? Can't you set a keyboard shortcut? Can you set up but doesn't it trigger the command when pressed?

Give an example of a keyboard shortcut that doesn't work, and of the command you used with it.

CorpusVile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CorpusVile »

I'm using cinnamon I'm trying to set a shortcut to sublime I set the text to Open Sublime and the command /usr/bin/subl

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

And which keyboard shortcut?

If you run /usr/bin/subl on the terminal it works as expected?

CorpusVile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CorpusVile »

Yes it works fine the keyboard shortcut I'm trying is super + N I have tried others and other commands but nothing custom seems to work

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Super+N is a system shortcut for notifications so try something else. I tried Super+T and that worked. I did have to restart Cinnamon to make it activate the shortcut (Atl+F2 → r → Enter). Test command I used was zenity --info which just pops up a dialog window.

CorpusVile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CorpusVile »

I have remapped most shortcuts but thank you restarting cinnamon solved the issue

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Hm. There was an issue for that earlier but I think it should be fixed in the current Cinnamon version: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/9375. I've asked mtwebster.

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

xenopeek wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:06 am
Hm. There was an issue for that earlier but I think it should be fixed in the current Cinnamon version: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/9375. I've asked mtwebster.
It's is still broken xenopeek, haven't got round to bug reporting it again yet.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

smurphos wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:23 am
It's is still broken xenopeek, haven't got round to bug reporting it again yet.
Fixed: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/c ... 0b700fc07e

The issue was with the first custom shortcut set, that wouldn't activate until restart of Cinnamon. In the same session adding a second custom shortcut would active both without need to restart Cinnamon. Same if there was already another customer shortcut, adding another would active immediately.

motoryzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by motoryzen »

xenopeek wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:34 pm
Which edition are you using? Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce? If you don't know check in System Information or in System Reports in your menu.

And what doesn't work? Can't you set a keyboard shortcut? Can you set up but doesn't it trigger the command when pressed?

Give an example of a keyboard shortcut that doesn't work, and of the command you used with it.
----Mint 20 cinnamon 64 bit here--

I've noticed NONE of my " custom keyboard shortcuts" work no matter what key combo I use.
I'm trying to create the following ones:

gnome-system-monitor ctrl+shift+esc nothing happens
cinnamon-settings info super key ( aka windows logo button) + i this keeps opening a small search window towards the bottom right hand side of my desktop right on top of my calendar/clock area of my panel but not on the panel

This is very irritating as I had no problems setting these in mint 19.3 and all older versions since at least 17xx versions. Why was this changed? How do I do what I need to do? Please help, anyone?

motoryzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by motoryzen »

Nevermind. I guess it's like a minor bug where you create one custom shortcut. Log out of cinnamon. Log back in and it just works..basically regardless of the hotkey combo. I didn't have to log out and back in for the rest I was able to create. Odd, but whatever. At least they work :D

Return to “Other topics”