Perl

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JamJade
Level 1
Level 1

Perl

Post by JamJade »

is there a way to remove installing perl programming language from my update manager.
The red icon is really bugging me and I do not want perl installed on my system.
Was wondering if theres a way to remove the option of installing perl and keep my update manager clean
Last edited by JamJade on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Perl

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JamJade.

Why do you not want any Perl installed on your system? What is the reason behind this?
You are aware that Perl is already present on your system, aren't you? No? Then be informed that Perl is present on your system.
As Update Manager offers updated Perl software packages for installation, this means that older versions of the updatable packages are already present.
You can check that this is the case e.g. by configuring Update Manager to display the columns
+ "Old version" (currently installed)
+ "New version" (the new version to which UM wants to update to)
Update Manager => View => Visible Columns: Enable "Old Version" here as well.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
JamJade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JamJade »

karlchen wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:03 am
I'm not aware that perl comes pre-installed in linux mint,
Just recently started using linux OS
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JamJade.

You can use Software Manager to check which software has been installed on your Mint system. You may also use Synaptic Package Manager. The difference is that Synaptic more closely reflects the modular structure of software on Linux Mint.
Applications frequently are split into a dozen software packages. A good example is Libre Office.
About Perl: Synaptic should display which Perl software packages are installed.
In order to find installed software in Synaptic displaying it by [Status] will be the best way. And then look at the "Installed" software packages.

Karl
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

I hope if required perl can be uninstalled? Or is it like Python,removing which will break your system?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

JamJade wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:56 pm
karlchen wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:03 am
I'm not aware that perl comes pre-installed in linux mint,
Just recently started using linux OS
Don't be so hard on JamJade. I was in the same boat (I've been using Linux only since last mid-January). When I got the update this morning, the name was not the initialism "PERL" but a long name that included the original developer's name and the full name of the initialism, not just the initials themselves. That funky looking name looked highly suspicious so I did a search to find out what it was and to rule out potential malware. I still don't know exactly what it is (nor do I want to right now; I have enough problems to deal with right now) but I learned enough to know it is valid and pretty much necessary, despite the funkiness of the name, and was safe to install.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

is there a way to remove installing perl programming language from my update manager.
What made you think it was a good thing to remove a programing language from your Linux installation???...If you already realise its a "programing language", than you should also realise that it is necessary to leave it alone if you want your Operating System to run at all.
every modern Linux distribution comes with Perl installed.
A very simple Google search would tell you you what you need to know about anything like this in the future.

I did a very quick one for you.

I simply asked in a search this one question..."What is perl used for in Linux"...and here is just one expample of many...its a good thing to do this in future, and then once you have a basic understanding of the subject, then, please ask appropriate questions here in the forums
Linux Operating Systems will never stop you from uninstalling critical things in its Operating System, It will assume that once you use your sudo command giving you admin rights, that you already KNOW what you are doing.

Linux OSs WILL let you shoot yourself in the foot and thus, ruin your system if you so wish...be careful...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

Run

Code: Select all

apt rdepends --installed perl
to see which of your installed packages depend on the perl package, and then perhaps re-evaluate your desire to delete it or prevent it from being properly updated.
mikeflan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikeflan »

The red icon is really bugging me
Where is this red icon? The Perl symbol is usually a camel.

If you think you uninstalled Perl from Linux, you probably didn't.
But I could be wrong.

Perhaps this page will give you (and your computer science professor) some peace of mind:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/167 ... l-on-linux
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

mikeflan wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:52 pm
Perhaps this page will give you (and your computer science professor) some peace of mind:
That page is more than 7 years old. And it mentions rpm. So it is not about Mint or Ubuntu or Debian, which use deb packages instead.
JamJade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JamJade »

mikeflan wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:52 pm
The red icon is really bugging me
Where is this red icon? The Perl symbol is usually a camel.

If you think you uninstalled Perl from Linux, you probably didn't.
But I could be wrong.

I meant the red icon the update manager gives when theres an update
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi JamJade,
Let me just boil it all down for you real quick.

Just accept and download the update to "perl".

"Perl" is a very necessary part of your Linux system...It is one of the programing languages used to build your Operating System in the first place.

Uninstalling/removing/purging "perl" WILL damage your Operating System.

Can we make anything more clear for you to help you decide that removing "perl" is a very BAD idea???...Just do the update and be done with it...It is safe to do so and highly recommended...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
mikeflan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikeflan »

OK, thanks. I guess your setup is different than mine, because this is what I see for a Perl update reminder:

No red icon - or at least these color blind eyes don't see a red icon.

I think Damien has summed this up pretty good. I hope it works out for you.
Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy »

I dunno if this has already been mentioned, but some system tools and other programs are written in Perl; I know this, because I write them too. :lol: So, it's not altogether a bad thing if Perl and its associated libraries are available and updated. If, however, you do want to remove Perl, you'll probably be dragging half of Mint with it.

That said, by default, distributions like Linux Mint do like to come out of the box with a bunch of libraries you likely won't need, and if you did need them, they would get installed at the time. Therefore, you could try:

WARNING: Only press 'Y' when using the below command if you're sure you don't need the packages for which APT will prompt you. Recklessly executed, this could very easily cause Perl-dependent software to fail due to missing dependencies. If you don't want to risk it, ignore the below command and get on with your day!

Code: Select all

while read Status PKG; do [ "$Status" == 'ii' ] && InstalledLibs+=("$PKG"); done <<< "$(dpkg-query -Wf '${db:Status-Abbrev} ${Package}\n' lib*-perl)"; for I in "${InstalledLibs[@]}"; { sudo apt-get remove "$I"; }
I use Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon in a VirtualBox VM for testing & sandboxing.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Return to “Other topics”