Is this true about Linux Kernel? Newbie asking...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Matt1
Level 1
Level 1

Is this true about Linux Kernel? Newbie asking...

Post by Matt1 »

This is a quote from another forum i visit, where they were discussing Linux and how secure it was. Just wondering...

"The kernel was not build with security in mind. It doesn't distrust other parts in the system. The user space has no isolation. I can't see why people consider it "more secure" than Windows or macOS!"
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title corrected: Kernel, kernel, kernel - no letter "a" in the word "kernel"
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is this true about Linux Kernal? Newbie asking...

Post by Pierre »

most folks wouldn't agree with that statement.
:)

you would need , know the wider argument, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Hoser Rob
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Hoser Rob »

jimallyn wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:29 am
Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about.
Or they're a troll who doesn't know what they're talking about. If anything the reverse is true.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

Matt1 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:08 pm
This is a quote from another forum i visit, where they were discussing Linux and how secure it was. Just wondering...

"The kernel was not build with security in mind. It doesn't distrust other parts in the system. The user space has no isolation. I can't see why people consider it "more secure" than Windows or macOS!"

Maybe it is worth giving a link as a quick Google search (2 pages) only brings up your post.
DAMIEN1307
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Is this true about Linux Kernel? Newbie asking...

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I found that article he was reading in a reddit forum...here it is...total rubbish...DAMIEN

You have to click the blue bar to reveal the 35 comments to find it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO ... ubuntu_ok/

This was the "salient" comment from that forum:
level 1
Prn37
2 points
·
1 day ago
Unpopular opinion here, Linux is not a good option unless you'll use it for a specific purpose.

The kernel was not build with security in mind. It doesn't distrust other parts in the system. The user space has no isolation. I can't see why people consider it "more secure" than Windows or macOS! Some people want to get rid of the big tech companies which is OK, but that doesn't make other alternatives "more secure".

The tech companies have much more resources to build better OSes than the open source community. They collect users' data. I agree. Some of them have very low standards of privacy but still running less secure OS doesn't solve the problem.

The Linux kernel shouldn't be considered as an option at all!

Almost all OSes have telemetry, which can be disabled.

The conspiracy that tech companies have backdoors in their products to spy on the users is complete nonsense without any proof at all.

They collect data as much as the users allow them to. They took advantage of the users' ignorance about data collection yet for the privacy-aware users it can be disabled.
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
rambo919
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rambo919 »

Oh great, another moron that thinks he instantly wins an argument by calling something a "conspiracy theory"...... best to just ignore him.
ThrashZone2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThrashZone2 »

Matt1 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi,
Depends
Windows standard user account you can jump through as many loops as in linux
Enter your password so much it makes it silly to have one because now it's routine reaction to a popup

Win-10 has a version that allows only installing apps from the ms store period, plus setting in all versions to do the same, seems pretty much the same to me as linux lol
So only difference is linux is mostly preferred to be used on servers maybe because it's a freebie no telling lol
Frankly way too many spawns of linux.
Cinnamon 20-x64----Win-7 & 10 pro's
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:22 am
The kernel was not build with security in mind. It doesn't distrust other parts in the system. The user space has no isolation.
Starting with kernel 5.4, which is default in Mint 20:
https://cloudcone.com/docs/article/what ... ernel-5-4/

Key quote:
The principal feature addition on Linux kernel 5.4 is the kernel lockdown mode which aims to enhance Linux kernel security by separating the userland and kernel code
Last edited by Moem on Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307
Level 11
Level 11

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:22 am
The kernel was not build with security in mind. It doesn't distrust other parts in the system. The user space has no isolation.
Starting with kernel 5.4, which is default in Mint 20:
https://cloudcone.com/docs/article/what ... ernel-5-4/
Key quote:
The principal feature addition on Linux kernel 5.4 is the kernel lockdown mode which aims to enhance Linux kernel security by separating the userland and kernel code
Hi pjotr,
On the first "quote" up above, you had this, saying "DAMIEN1307 wrote".
NO...I didnt write this tripe, i was only quoting someone else who had written a reddit forum post...I would never write something that says that "the kernel was not built with security in mind" I know better than that...lol.

What i did say about that quote was this;
I found that article he was reading in a reddit forum...here it is...total rubbish
I only copy and pasted a comment that the original OP was referring to is all so others reading could see where that crap actually came from...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:18 pm
Hi pjotr,
On the first "quote" up above, you had this, saying "DAMIEN1307 wrote".
NO...I didnt write this tripe, i was only quoting someone else who had written a reddit forum post...
I've made that clearer in Pjotr's post, so no worries and carry on.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

@DAMIEN1307: Oops. Sorry. @Moem: thanks.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307
Level 11
Level 11

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Thank you, both Moem and Pjotr, for the correction of this issue...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Matt1 wrote:This is a quote from another forum i visit, where they were discussing Linux and how secure it was. Just wondering...

On the contrary, the user space DOES have isolation! The problem with Linux, as with Windows, is that the drivers don't have isolation. The ring-based security model is only a theory, in most operating systems only ring 0 and ring 3 being used https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_ring

Not related to security, the problem with Linux, *BSD etc. is that they're monolithic, despite any use of the word "modules". That means it's quite huge, not really suited as RTOS; and yet, it's Linux that's used in the embedded controllers in all modern cars
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolithic_kernel
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Other topics”