New Install - JAPANESE Input NECESSARY

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moose-Dad
Level 1
Level 1

New Install - JAPANESE Input NECESSARY

Post by Moose-Dad »

Hello All,

I'm certainly not a linux newb... Been using it for over a decade and a half. Have tried out most of the popular distros (likely about 20 distros all told) so I'm familiar with install sequences - the good and the bad - and package managers - the good and the bad - and distro maintenance - the good and the bad.

Most recently I've been with OpenSuse (for about 5 years or so) but one of my fundamental requirements is JAPANESE INPUT. So, Japanese input has gone kaput with OpenSuse. I've jumped through the hoops to no avail, other than wasting my time... Oh, and did I say I wasted a lot of time...?? And now the OpenSuse forums won't even work... So, though the distro is "good" it still sucks for my needs. Oh, and did I say I wasted a lot of time...??

So, my question here is hopefully specifically to people who run a pretty much vanilla install (I used to tweak my installs a whole lot, but now screw it - I've wasted a lot of time doing that) but who ALSO NEED AND USE JAPANESE INPUT...

Does Linux Mint work well with Japanese Input...??
Am I going to have to jump through hoops and go CLI just to get my Japanese to work...?
Can I install vanilla plus some extra packages in Linux Mint package manager and then just use the distro desktop for my needs, or am I gonna have to be a semi-guru with regular semi-guru maintenance just to be able to use a vanilla desktop + Japanese IME...??

I am KDE (I DO NOT LIKE GNOME!!! IT DOESN"T WORK FOR ME!!! No need to argue about this... 15 years has taught me that I much prefer KDE.)

Thanks for any advice you can give!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: New Install - JAPANESE Input NECESSARY

Post by MrEen »

Hi Moose-Dad, and welcome to the forum.

While I don't believe big hoops would be necessary to get Japanese added in Mint, it might be a little more work for KDE. And as I use neither, I can't help at all there. Just wanted you to be aware that Mint doesn't ship with a KDE version anymore.
Moose-Dad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moose-Dad »

Thanks for this info, Mr Een...
WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WriteF »

I use Japanese in Linux Mint quite fequently and it works well.
You can enable it in the language setting. I don't have access to my usual desktop now so if you can't find it just say it and I'll check how it is set up.
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]

Return to “Other topics”