Where to report Linux Mint bugs?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Where to report Linux Mint bugs?

Post by fredd »

I can not find a bug tracker anywhere.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Where to report Linux Mint bugs?

Post by Moonstone Man »

fredd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:12 am I can not find a bug tracker anywhere.
That might be a good thing. Before you run off yelling 'BUG! BUG!", why don't you tell us what the problem is.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

-=t42=-
fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fredd »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:32 am
fredd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:12 am I can not find a bug tracker anywhere.
That might be a good thing. Before you run off yelling 'BUG! BUG!", why don't you tell us what the problem is.
I just spent half an hour updating Linux Mint. All the updates went at full speed, but as soon as Mozilla Firefox had to be downloaded, it just stalled to incredibly low speeds, and only for that item.
firefox-download.png
fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fredd »

t42 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:34 am OR read Linux Mint Troubleshooting Guide — Reporting bugs
Read through the entire thing. Still have not found a Linux Mint bug tracker.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

fredd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:54 am I just spent half an hour updating Linux Mint. All the updates went at full speed, but as soon as Mozilla Firefox had to be downloaded, it just stalled to incredibly low speeds, and only for that item.
It's definitely not a bug to have a repository running slow, it's an every day occurrence on the www. Is it progressing at all, or even finished?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

fredd wrote: All the updates went at full speed, but as soon as Mozilla Firefox had to be downloaded, it just stalled to incredibly low speeds, and only for that item.
Firefox comes from a different repository than the others shown.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

fredd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:55 am
t42 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:34 am OR read Linux Mint Troubleshooting Guide — Reporting bugs
You can't have read much. I found it, but a slow repository is no reason to go filing bug reports. You would have read something very similar had you read all those pages.
fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fredd »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:58 am
fredd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:54 am I just spent half an hour updating Linux Mint. All the updates went at full speed, but as soon as Mozilla Firefox had to be downloaded, it just stalled to incredibly low speeds, and only for that item.
It's definitely not a bug to have a repository running slow, it's an every day occurrence on the www. Is it progressing at all, or even finished?
It has been like this for years. And today it was at its worse. It literally took half an hour to finish up for Firefox, with it just stalling a lot of the times.

This only ever happens with the Mozilla Firefox package. All the other updates come in at lightning speed.

It really should not take half an hour to pull in a 50 MB package. This is a bug.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

fredd wrote: This only ever happens with the Mozilla Firefox package. All the other updates come in at lightning speed.
Again, Firefox comes from a repository that's different than the others you have shown.
fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fredd »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:04 am
fredd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:55 am
You can't have read much. I found it, but a slow repository is no reason to go filing bug reports. You would have read something very similar had you read all those pages.
You think 30 minutes to download a 50 megabyte package is not an issue? It has been like this for years and it is simply awful it has still not been fixed.

I have read through the documentation and I did not find any bug tracker to report Linux Mint infrastructure issues.

Can you please tell me where it explains how to report infrastructure issues?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

fredd wrote: You think 30 minutes to download a 50 megabyte package is not an issue? It has been like this for years and it is simply awful it has still not been fixed.
Given that you've demonstrated that different repositories are serving their packages at different speeds, you're proving that it's not the OS.
fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fredd »

JoeFootball wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:08 am
fredd wrote: You think 30 minutes to download a 50 megabyte package is not an issue? It has been like this for years and it is simply awful it has still not been fixed.
Given that you've demonstrated that different repositories are serving their packages at different speeds, you're proving that it's not the OS.
You are fully right. I should have sought out to report a bug to whomever is hosting packages.linuxmint.com.

This community is incredibly resilient towards accepting bug reports. All I wanted to know is where to report infrastructure issues and instead of the 2nd post just directing me to the correct place we have a whole page of "you probably should not report any bugs because you are probably wrong about it being a bug".
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

fredd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 am I should have sought out to report a bug to whomever is hosting packages.linuxmint.com.
Filing a bug report requires a bug. A slow repository is either merely busy or merely has a slow route to wherever you are located. It is not a bug. The developers have far better things to do than worry about your internet connection.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

fredd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:04 am You think 30 minutes to download a 50 megabyte package is not an issue?
Sure it's an issue. But it's not a bug.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

fredd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:00 am It has been like this for years. And today it was at its worse. It literally took half an hour to finish up for Firefox, with it just stalling a lot of the times.
Have you tried switching to a different mirror? For most people, it's faster if they switch to one that is local to them.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Other topics”