Resource-use during Ulyana's lifetime? [SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kev
Level 3
Level 3

Resource-use during Ulyana's lifetime? [SOLVED]

Post by Kev »

I'm running Mint 20.1 Cinnamon on an x260 ThinkPad - i5-6200U (2.3Ghz, 2x-core, 4x-Thread), 8Gb DDR4, 1TB SSD. This is my main computer, used mostly for office type activities (incl. Libre-Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, Gimp).

It runs very well at present, and I'm fondly imagining that the setup will continue to offer a decent experience at least to Ulyana's LTS end of life in 2025, possibly longer (excepting breakages). Does this seem a reasonable expectation, or is it naive - might updates during Ulyana's lifetime begin to ask greatly more of the hardware?

(Obviously I'm not asking for clairvoyance. Just hoping for informed opinions on what might typically be expected, in order to help plan for upgrades)

Thanks,
Kev

EDIT: Added 'solved' to title
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Resource-use during Ulyana's lifetime?

Post by Moonstone Man »

Kev wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:30 am Does this seem a reasonable expectation, or is it naive - might updates during Ulyana's lifetime begin to ask greatly more of the hardware?
Your machine is between 9 and 13 years old. It's not unheard of for equipment of that age to still be working beyond 13 years but there are several problems with continuing to get use out of a machine that old.

First, capacitor plague will cause hardware failure but that depends on the quality of the electronic components used. It's a very common problem in old equipment.

Second, while it might be fine running Ulyana, don't lose sight of the fact that it might not work so well beyond that. We get a lot of people complaining that their archaeological specimens are still working fine therefore Linux Mint is at fault because they can't run the latest and greatest. Also, old code for old equipment recently underwent a rip-out from the kernel and that should be expected to continue in the future, so there is no guarantee.

Third, people's own expectations can be a problem. In the 9-13 years since your machine was new, it has stayed right were it was 9-13 years ago, but Linux and software has advanced 9-13 years, requiring more and more processor power and speed, higher capacity and faster drives, and more and faster memory. As indicated above, some people have unreasonable expectations. The key is to not expect more out of your machine than what you bought it for 9-13 years ago. As soon as you want to do more with old equipment, it's already time to consider a replacement.

All things being equal, it isn't unreasonable to expect your current machine to last until end of life for Ulyana, just don't convince yourself that it's definite or that it will continue to be supported and will work beyond Ulyana.
Kev
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kev »

Great, many thanks for that! It sounds like the OS side of things 'probably' won't become a problem for a while, which is the main thing I was hoping for.

I think the x260 thinkpad was released in 2016, though I didn't have it from new, so a few years younger than thought perhaps. But the principles you mention still very much apply, and many businesses would consider it past retirement age already, so clearly no spring chicken.

Sadly finances aren't the best lately, or things would be simpler. But it sounds like it might be viable for a few years yet, if it doesn't break too badly anyway. I'm happy for it not to have all the latest apps, it really just needs to be kept secure and not too incompatible with the outside world.

Thanks again,
Kev
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Kev wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:27 am I think the x260 thinkpad was released in 2016, though I didn't have it from new, so a few years younger than thought perhaps. But the principles you mention still very much apply, and many businesses would consider it past retirement age already, so clearly no spring chicken.
Mine is an X220 and it runs Mint 20 just fine. Spring chickens are overrated (and overpriced).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Kev
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kev »

Heh-heh, yes chickens are chaotic enough without the springs!

That is also very encouraging thanks! The x220 looks to be a few generations before mine, so I should be fine for performance for a while then; I'm not doing anything that in itself should be massively taxing.

Obviously there is always the unexpected; I could ignore some things but not if hardware ever started limiting security or certain types of compatibility. As things stand though, I think Mint is able to run all the current secure protocols and so on that it needs to - it seems quite good at implementing things like that on hardware that some operating systems simply drop support for.

OK, I shall aim to keep the machine for a few years more then; seems fairly reasonable to aim for. Which in turn means it will be worth investing in new batteries, and possibly some other small upgrades.

Thanks again, this has been useful.
Kev

Return to “Other topics”