<SOLVED>how do i add more storage to linux mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bob_renchers90
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>how do i add more storage to linux mint

Post by Bob_renchers90 »

I currently have Windows and Linux Mint 20 mate installed and I wanna install more apps and games to linux mint but I don't have enough "disk space" as it tells me to install the apps. Is it possible to add more storage to my linux mint installation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: how do i add more storage to linux mint

Post by Moem »

Is there leftover space on your disk? Or are you planning to buy a bigger one? One of these would need to be the case.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Bob_renchers90
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bob_renchers90 »

There's still about 16gb free but it is assigned to Windows 10 and I want to give some of it to linux
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Bob_renchers90 wrote: There's still about 16gb free but it is assigned to Windows 10 and I want to give some of it to linux
If you're going to be shrinking the Windows partition(s), I've heard that it's best to do so via Windows own partition editor.

And verify your backups before doing any partition editing. :)
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Yes, shrink the Windows partition with its own Disk management utility (no idea where that is as I don't use Windows) and then expand the Linux Mint partition into that empty space.
This requires that the two partitions are side by side and if not you will need to carry out more activities, moving partitions around, or perhaps get yourself another drive. It's impossible to help much more with so little information so far, and I do know that Windows does need more empty disk space to work effectively than Linux so shrinking the Windows partition may turn out to be impossible.

Let's see the terminal output from command

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

There's still about 16gb free
It's probably not worth messing around with 16 GB extra space. Either migrate to a bigger drive (with foxclone), or buy a 500GB Linux drive that will be separate from your windows drive.

Return to “Other topics”