AMD Series-A processor question

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

AMD Series-A processor question

Post by timmn1 »

I found myself the owner of an AMD Series-A processor, and thought I would do something with it. The problem that I've been finding is that very few motherboards support it, mostly older chipsets. So, the question that has been roaming around in the back of my mind is if they can't or won't support it on the newer motherboards. I'm guessing that it's more than just adding the A-series into the list of supported processors in the BIOS. The thing is, if the new motherboards can support the Ryzen processors back to Generation 1 is it so hard to add the Series-A?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: AMD Series-A processor question

Post by rene »

It's not completely clear to me what you mean by Series-A but would you be talking about a Slot-A or Socket-A CPU then you'd be talking about a 20+ year old exclusively 32-bit CPU vs. on the hardware level entirely different CPUs of today. The CPU is the core component of the system and it determines what it needs from a motherboard/socket. Socket A for example had 462 pins vs. 1331 for the current socket AM4 as caused by e.g. 64-bit vs 32-bit and even things like the former "northbridge" (memory controller) being integrated onto the CPU rather than being one half of a historically dual-chip chipset. PCIe lanes directly from the CPU, etc., etc.

That is, if indeed we're talking about e.g. old socket A here then the question as such doesn't even make sense really but even if by Series-A you refer to something more up to date than that --- which you might; I have not paid much attention to hardware for a long time since socket A and until recently --- still the same principle holds: yes, a motherboard needs to be very CPU (-microarchitecture) specific.

[EDIT] You were likely talking about an e.g. AMD A10 on socket FM2/FM2+. Which fortunately my brain failed to remember/realise before retreating into legacy mode since the better chronological proximity of those could've just obscured the same answer as above. Yes, a motherboard needs to be very specific to the CPU type, and Ryzen is very different.
jontrv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jontrv »

For anyone to help you here, we need to know the exact designation of the CPU (or is it APU?) in question.
This in turn will define the socket, and help identify a choice of appropriate motherboard.
If indeed it is one of the AMD A10 family, motherboards compatible with socket FM2/FM2+ should still be readily available.
All of the relevant details needed will be on the top surface of the CPU, if you are unable to decode them just take a well focussed photo and attach that.
JT:
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

Sorry about that, I wasn't at home when I posted that.

The A-Series processor I'm talking about is a A10-9700 APU and it fits into an FM4 socket. The only motherboards I can find that support it have a 350 chipset and only come in a micro ATX format, I'd really prefer a full-size ATX, but according to everything I've seen so far anything with a chipset of 450 and higher support either Ryzen or Athlon and don't mention the A-Series.

I was just trying to figure out why they don't support the A-series on the newer chipsets, and wondering if they can't or won't.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

"Can't" is the right/better answer. Intel in recent history even used a fully new chipset for each generation and while AMD is specifically better at that and have supported multiple generations of Ryzen on a single socket and chipset hence motherboard, at some point the motherboard and/or supporting circuitry definitely needs to change to enable newer features of a newer CPU.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

I found a motherboard with a 470 chipset which advertises that it supports the A-Series, it's a MSI X 470 Gaming Pro, but Amazon says it's "Currently Unavailable". Newegg has it, but it's quite a bit out of my price range at the moment. Haven't found it anywhere else, but I'm still looking. Probably will have to settle for one of those mini ATX motherboards.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

AM4 then; you first said FM4 (which actually exists -- or actually maybe doesn't; fair bit of confusion out there). Yes, that changes things.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

timmn1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:35 amThe thing is, if the new motherboards can support the Ryzen processors back to Generation 1 is it so hard to add the Series-A?
Because it wouldn't make sense. New B550-Mobos don't officially support 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen either, only B450 mobos do. The point is that nobody puts an old CPU into a much newer mobo. On the other hand, each BIOS update requires the manufacturer to test that with all officially supported CPUs, and that does cost time and therefore money.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Well, actually, since he specified what actual CPU he was talking about, i.e., an AM4 one, that rather changed things, since boards do in fact exist in that case.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

By the way, to OP, here's a possibly useful list: https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/A1 ... oards.html
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: AMD Series-A processor question [answered]

Post by timmn1 »

I finally settled for an ASUS PRIME A320M-K motherboard, it isn't a full-size ATX, but it works, and Micro Center upgraded the BIOS to the latest version, so I didn't have to mess with that. It has everything a full-size ATX board has with the exception of the number of expansion slots, and I'm sure that the person who will be using it won't notice.
Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Return to “Other topics”