MSI gs65 Laptop overheating when charging

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JahanEnki
Level 1
Level 1

MSI gs65 Laptop overheating when charging

Post by JahanEnki »

Hi,

I have really long and everlasting problem with my MSI gs65 laptop. And I have just realized a trend between charging the laptop and overheating which I didn't realize before.
My laptop is very powerful for its own sake as it is a gaming laptop, but the problem is that I don't always need this power all the time and I don't know how to control the behaviour of the laptop.

When the laptop is on battery, the temperature goes around 42C or so. Once the laptop plugged, it suddenly over heat, as shown in the figure:: The figure shows Plugged->Battery->Plugged, that is decrease then increase. (https://ibb.co/Hhr9hXN)

The laptop have two GPU, integrated intel and nvidia card. I tried using nvidia driver once and xserver once... And they both have the same issue.

Of course the problem is not the overheating by its own, but the fan noise that comes with it... When on battery it is quite, when plugged the fan goes wild.

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-70-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana 
  base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Micro-Star product: GS65 Stealth 8SE v: REV:1.0 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-16Q4 v: REV:1.0 serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: American Megatrends v: E16Q4IMS.10B date: 02/14/2019 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 41.5 Wh condition: 54.6/80.3 Wh (68%) model: MSI BIF0_9 
CPU:
  Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i7-8750H bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Kaby Lake rev: A L2 cache: 9216 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 52799 
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 
  3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 9: 800 10: 800 11: 800 12: 800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile] vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
  driver: N/A bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~144Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.6 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU106 High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-70-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak] driver: iwlwifi 
  v: kernel port: 5000 bus ID: 00:14.3 
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: alx v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 3d:00.0 
  IF: enp61s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 715.41 GiB used: 39.90 GiB (5.6%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Toshiba model: N/A size: 476.94 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Kingston model: RBU-SNS8152S3256GG2 
  size: 238.47 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 52.35 GiB used: 39.86 GiB (76.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 63.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 297 Uptime: 31m Memory: 31.21 GiB used: 2.07 GiB (6.6%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 
  inxi: 3.0.38 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: MSI gs65 Laptop overheating when charging

Post by manyroads »

Your specs say that the fan speed is zero.... that could explain the heat build up. Are you certain the fan works at all? Could it be filled with dust, lint? I'd look inside and make certain the fan spins (blow on it some to see). If it doesn't try cleaning the fan... or ask Jeff Bezos to send you a new one. :shock:
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
JahanEnki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JahanEnki »

manyroads wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:08 am Your specs say that the fan speed is zero.... that could explain the heat build up. Are you certain the fan works at all? Could it be filled with dust, lint? I'd look inside and make certain the fan spins (blow on it some to see). If it doesn't try cleaning the fan... or ask Jeff Bezos to send you a new one. :shock:
I would love to ask Bezos for his assistance but I don't have his number :mrgreen:
I am 100% sure it is working, in fact, I wrote this post not because of the overheating, but because of the annoying fan noise ((annoying while in working in office with others))... But I was focusing on the overheating issue because I think it might be the cause of the fan noise.

Edit:: I have a suspicion that the GPU or CPU switches something once I plug the wire... In windows I have an MSI program that control how much "sweat" should the laptop break (Gaming mode Economic mode etc..) while doing its task and how much should the fan speeds be, but on linux I don't have this program.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Post by manyroads »

Have you tried installing & using tools like powertop, tlp, etc.?
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
JahanEnki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JahanEnki »

manyroads wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:57 am Have you tried installing & using tools like powertop, tlp, etc.?
Yes, I tried tlp.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Post by manyroads »

FWIW. Here is what I run at startup (Ignore the format, I am running i3 & dwm) On a Debian base like Mint, you would run this from .xsessionrc (# are not invoked)

# power related functions #####################
lxqt-powermanagement &
#thermald &
tlp start &
powertop --auto-tune &
xautolock -time 8 -locker i3lock-fancy &
#Dell fan control ~ (ref. https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/controlli ... ian-linux/)
#/etc/init.d/i8kmon start &
i8kctl fan 1 1 &
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

Has your notebook two fans, one for a processor and one for a discrete GPU? If yes, which fan is noisy?
JahanEnki wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:39 am Device-2: NVIDIA TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile] vendor: Micro-Star MSI
I noticed that you have no driver for the Nvidia graphics card. I am not very familiar with Nouveau or NVIDIA Optimus drivers. I cannot help much here.

Processor Core i7-8750H has thermal design power 45 W. That is a lot for a notebook. Maybe UEFI is programmed so that, when operating on the battery, TDP is reduced, therefore lower temperature and lower fan speed. Check in UEFI settings if there are options for fan management, for instance quiet operation. If you do not need Nvidia card, maybe you can disable it in UEFI.

Regards, Jože

EDIT: Check also for new UEFI vrsion!
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Check the fan for blockage. The fan could be noisy because it cannot blow enough air through the built up gunk. Clean the fan at least once per year. After cleaning, the extra workload from the mains power might not make the fan run full speed.

Charging the battery uses about 70 watts. You are adding that to your 45 watts of CPU power. As an experiment, you could charge while the machine is shutdown. Wait until the battery is 100% charged then run the machine on mains power. Do you have the same problem?

After that, check the BIOS for any power settings related to battery/mains. It could be working like migrating birds and switching off half the brain cells on battery.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

senjoz wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:20 pm Has your notebook two fans, one for a processor and one for a discrete GPU? If yes, which fan is noisy?
JahanEnki wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:39 am Device-2: NVIDIA TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile] vendor: Micro-Star MSI
I noticed that you have no driver for the Nvidia graphics card. I am not very familiar with Nouveau or NVIDIA Optimus drivers. I cannot help much here.
There were changes to the nvidia-related code this year and inxi looks like that when running using Intel graphics (power-save mode).

I suggest checking to make sure you have the most recent BIOS/UEFI installed. Power-related features and power control are often a function of the firmware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

SMG wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:17 am There were changes to the nvidia-related code this year and inxi looks like that when running using Intel graphics (power-save mode).
I am not sure I understand that. Do you mean that, because of the changes to the nvidia-related code, if inxi is run on the system with intel+nvidia graphics, inxi switches the system to the power save intel mode and therefore it shows for nvidia drivers N/A?

Regards, Jože
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

senjoz wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:42 am Do you mean that, because of the changes to the nvidia-related code, if inxi is run on the system with intel+nvidia graphics, inxi switches the system to the power save intel mode and therefore it shows for nvidia drivers N/A?
inxi does not switch the system to any mode. inxi reads the current mode of the system.

If the current mode of the system is Power Save(Intel), then the nvidia driver does not load because it is not needed to run Intel. (I think the code blacklists the nvidia driver in that mode, but I am not positive) This seems to have started happening with people who have done fresh installs with LM20.1. The Nvidia driver only shows when the computer is in On-Demand mode or Nvidia mode.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

@SMG
Now I understand. Thank you.

Regards, Jože
JahanEnki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JahanEnki »

I would like to update this thread regarding the fan+heating issue...

I have tried nearly all the suggestions mentioned here. I tried using tlp and powertop, I also modified one of the BIOS options to allow for better battery consumption but nothing worked.

Yesterday I got an update to my Nvidia driver that finally gave me the option to switch between my Nvidia GPU and my integrated intel GPU... Currently, it is a bit better than before but it still happens.

Return to “Other topics”