how to roll-back Firefox to 66.0.3

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bob Unitt
Level 2
Level 2

how to roll-back Firefox to 66.0.3

Post by Bob Unitt »

I'm still, for various reasons, on Mint 17.3 Cinnamon. Today I accepted an update for Firefox which (without prior warning) lost all my settings, bookmarks, passwords, noscript settings etc. I was originally on 66.0.3+linuxmint1+ rosa, the update was to 78.7.esr+linuxmint1. Is there any way I can re-install 66.0.3, and get my data back ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: how to roll-back Firefox to 66.0.3

Post by manyroads »

@Bob Unitt Where is your data? Did you use your FF account to keep 'stuff'? If so, your bookmarsk & passwords should be there. If not reinstalling an old version of FF will likely not be helpful. If however???? you backed your data up regularly, you should be able to grab a copy of your old $Home/.mozilla folder and have almost everything there.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

That was a big jump in versions. If you go back to that old version, I'd expect your profile to be corrupted.
Bob Unitt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bob Unitt »

Thanks folks. I don't have a Firefox account, but fortunately I have a Waterfox setup which is the same up to about 6 months ago, and I have notes of everything I've added since. Personally I think Firefox should have warned me in advance, and asked if i wanted to proceed with the update, but beggars can't be choosers...
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Just to add that if you did roll back to an earlier version of FF, you would almost definitely be opening up yourself to security problems.
Your browser has to be robust and updated regularly, unlike many other programs on your system that aren't quite so open to the internet.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Bob Unitt wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:24 pm I'm still, for various reasons, on Mint 17.3 Cinnamon. Today I accepted an update for Firefox which (without prior warning) lost all my settings, bookmarks, passwords, noscript settings etc. I was originally on 66.0.3+linuxmint1+ rosa, the update was to 78.7.esr+linuxmint1. Is there any way I can re-install 66.0.3, and get my data back ?
You can get any FF version here:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
Just unzip the archive and make a link to the firefox executable.

Be aware that if you run a newer version, e.g. v78, it often changes your ~/.mozilla/firefox data so that an earlier version, e.g. 66, can no longer use it. Which sucks a lot.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

once Firefox is installed,

The very first thing you should now immediately is to log into Sync.

to do other wise is folly, and you WILL loose your data one day, as you already know.

I only have it save Bookmarks, Addons, and Preferences.

Sync.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Sync is all well and good but if you don't want your (slightly) more personal data such as bookmarks being perused by an AI looking to see what it can sell you in the future, then just back up your bookmarks to an html file and store it on an external drive along with the rest of your data.
You can do that by going to
Bookmarks / Manage Bookmarks / Import and Backup
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

gittiest personITW wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:36 am Sync is all well and good but if you don't want your (slightly) more personal data such as bookmarks being perused by an AI looking to see what it can sell you in the future, then just back up your bookmarks to an html file and store it on an external drive along with the rest of your data.
You can do that by going to
Bookmarks / Manage Bookmarks / Import and Backup
I have never had a problem with that issue and I'm not going to quit using Sync.

too damn much trouble, I use a minimum of 5 different PCs/laptops from day to day, and I want them all to Sync together.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Other topics”