Installing Latest Mint on KIngston 128GB USB

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amsgh
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Latest Mint on KIngston 128GB USB

Post by amsgh »

As the subject states installing takes forever and I've cancelled it too many times out of impatience. USB is about 1 year old and i haven't had issues with it but that doesn't mean the integrity isn't compromised if that's what the problem is.

Should i be using a different filesystem rather than ext4?
Right now i just picked 50GB for ext4 wtih mount as /.
And 2GB of swap
Rest of space is unallocated.

The install is being done from a seperate 32GB live usb. Im a noob so this might be a simple issue on my end.

I get the below error amongst various others...
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:18: Warning: Source ID 25536 was not found when attempting to remove it
GLib.source_remove(self.timeout_id)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Installing Latest Mint on KIngston 128GB USB

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think the filesystem plays a role here. Might the Kingston USB be getting very hot while installing Linux Mint onto it? That would cause the USB to throttle its writing speed to prevent it from overheating.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Installing Latest Mint on KIngston 128GB USB

Post by Petermint »

The better brands make their own chips and are more predictable. Kingston buy in chips and the result can vary from batch to batch. Think of a horse race where people try to mix in camels, goats, rabbits, and snails.

The speed you mention is believable for devices sold as USB sticks instead of USB disks. Touch the device surface or look at the temperature in the Disks program. Flash memory writes stop at 70 ~ 80 degrees C.

Buy a Sandisk Extreme Pro or a USB disk with a metal case.

For 128 GB, I recycle the 128 GB SSDs thrown out after notebook upgrades. Good adapters can be cheap. Leave the cover off to let heat escape. If the SSD is coated for tropical use, you can sit ice cubes on top. :twisted:

Return to “Other topics”