Icon Names, System Text Truncated

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paulie
Level 1
Level 1

Icon Names, System Text Truncated

Post by paulie »

Hi, folks;
First, apologies for not including the usual system information here. I am having a problem where most of my text fields are failing to display anything beyond the first four characters. This includes text that shows up in a terminal window, which means I can't see that info. I am running Linux Mint, and I keep it pretty consistently updated.

It started last night, following a reboot. I had seen a little bit of strange behaviour on a website, and ended the Mozilla process because it had almost totally locked up my system. It's possibly unrelated (post hoc, ergo propter hoc), but a few message windows flashed up and then immediately disappeared as the browser closed. I decided I might be due to restart, and as soon as it came back up, I saw the problem with text fields.

The problem is pretty widespread. All of the system text fields, including the menus and icon names, will show the first four characters of whatever info is supposed to be there, and then nothing else. Rhythmbox has the same issue, but Thunderbird, Zoom, Skype, and Mozilla do not.

This has happened once before, and I solved it by simply restoring the previous day's backup. This time, however, that doesn't seem to be working. I have tried searching for similar issues, but so far have not had any luck.

The only thing I have done here that seems like it could be relevant is that I am running a 34" LG monitor that did not have a driver package. I set up the screen resolution from the command line successfully, and I haven't had any issues with it for a number of months now. Nothing about that seems to have changed, but obviously it could be causing an issue in the background.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have some history working on computers, but have only been using Linux here for a little over a year. There's a lot I'm still getting used to.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Icon Names, System Text Truncated

Post by manyroads »

Sounds like it could be an error in font size setting or bad theme....
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
paulie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paulie »

Update - I was checking for updates in the background while I started this thread. Somehow, rebooting after the updates finished has gotten everything working again.
I still have no idea what might have been causing the problem. I assume that I suddenly needed updates because the backup I had restored to hadn't installed them yet, but I can't be sure. If anyone has any ideas about what might have behind this, I would still love to hear them.
Thanks.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I am cross referencing 2 topics.
This is often due to the oibaf PPA:
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=346493
paulie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paulie »

Thanks very much. I'll try to be more persistent about searching before posting, in the future.

Return to “Other topics”