Denying the Hacker access to your/our computers

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Denying the Hacker access to your/our computers

Post by AZgl1800 »

a solution to stopping hackers has been solved,

make the CPU change its' internal architecture every 2 or 3 milliseconds.

https://newatlas.com/computers/morpheus ... a-hackers/
Last edited by SMG on Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking topic to prevent spammers from posting.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Denying the Hacker access to your/our computers

Post by rene »

The just ten percent slower figure seems hard to believe since this would seem to imply flushing basically any form of microlevel cache also those few milliseconds --- but thanks for posting; interesting.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

This doesn't apply to chips currently in use in our machines:
Engineers have designed a computer processor that thwarts hackers by randomly changing its microarchitecture every few milliseconds. Known as Morpheus, the puzzling processor has now aced its first major tests, repelling hundreds of professional hackers in a DARPA security challenge.
It could be 5 - 10 years before that technology is available in the consumer market although the U.S. government and its agencies will have it sooner. DARPA is the DEFENSE ADVANCED RESEARCH PROJECTS AGENCY.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

I think this addresses a different problem than defeating the typical computer virus.

Everything going on inside that chip is inside the chip. From the outside, it has to look like a conventional processor - so the bugs inherent in compilers (for example) which result in vulnerabilities due to (say) buffer overflows will still be there. I don't see how modifying the internal operation of a processor chip prevents a hacker finding their way through the usual holes in security layers supposed to prevent unauthorised access to data while allowing authorised access (the only 100% security is not to allow remote access at all).

Where I think this internal scrambling approach might be applicable is protection against side-band attacks compromising security.
Vandark wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:12 pm Thanks for the tip, it helped me
It did? How?
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Dark Owl wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:57 pm I don't see how modifying the internal operation of a processor chip prevents a hacker finding their way through the usual holes in security layers supposed to prevent unauthorised access to data while allowing authorised access (
especially the vulnerable "layer 8" (human layer)..
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

IMHO installing anything (even Linux) thinking it'll prevent you from being hacked forever is the WORST thing you can do for security.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I made a new change to my Firefox settings this week,

Set a Password for cookies and bookmarks.

pswdFF.png

I tested it to see if it really works, opened up Vivaldi and Opera and asked them to import my FF Bookmarks,
both browsers reported "no bookmarks found"
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Other topics”