How to format an external USB SSD drive with fileformat exFAT?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nederland
Level 1
Level 1

How to format an external USB SSD drive with fileformat exFAT?

Post by Nederland »

Hi all,

When im using Gparted, i cannot format my external portable SSDD drive (Samsung T5 500 Gb) with exFAT fileformat. I cannot select this option in the formatting option of Gaprted. I do have the required exFAT tools installed in Mint 20.1 Xfce.

Is there some other GUI or terminal "tricK' to get my portbale SSD drive formatting with fileformat exFAT?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to format an external USB SSD drive with fileformat exFAT?

Post by vanadium »

The terminal trick will be to use "mkfs.exfat" or "mkfs -t exfat". It is also possible with "Disks".
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Disks does exfat, select the 'other' option, it is in the list on the next screen.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Nederland
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nederland »

Sorry guys, but you come up with things i find difficult to understand:
The terminal trick will be to use "mkfs.exfat" or "mkfs -t exfat". It is also possible with "Disks".
What do you mean by this? Any more clear explanation please
Disks does exfat, select the 'other' option, it is in the list on the next screen.
Which option?? and where? in which tool?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Open the mint menu, type disks in the box at the top and you will find it. When open looks like this:
Screenshot from 2021-05-26 17-15-47.png
Select the drive from the panel on the left, click on the partition you want to format on the right (for a new partition click in free space and then the + button) and then the button with the gears > format partition. exFAT is not listed on the next screen so select 'other', the screen after that gives you the choice for exFAT.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Other topics”