[CLOSED, but NOT solved, again] After fresh installation of Mint 20.1, suspend is still not working...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ocor
Level 1
Level 1

[CLOSED, but NOT solved, again] After fresh installation of Mint 20.1, suspend is still not working...

Post by ocor »

Hello all, I'm back again with more or less the same problem as I had before (see: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=349017).

This problem is: I can suspend the system, but it will not resume. The laptop seems to resume (the fans start blowing), but keyboard and mouse are unresponsive and the screen remains black, although backlit.

After I had tried everything I could possibly think of to solve the problem I experienced with suspending and resuming my system, I took a deep breath, backed up my stuff and installed Mint 20.1. Immediately after installation I tried if resume after suspend worked: it didn't. This is a completely fresh install on a system, on which the fresh install of Mint 19.3 last year did have no problem suspending and resuming.

I did not install any proprietary drivers and steered away from Nvidia drivers. I did upgrade to the latest kernel (5.8.0-55). Didn't help.

I am getting pretty frustrated, especially since I just do not understand why this does not work, while it used to work without problems...

Anyway, I used Driver Manager to install nvidia-driver-390, which came recommended and seemed to solve this problem for other users. Apart from the fact that it did not detect the combination of my main and second monitor correctly, it did not solve my problem with resume after suspend.

Output of inxi -Fxz:

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.8.0-55-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa 
  base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: N750JV v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: N750JV v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: American Megatrends v: N750JV.210 date: 04/11/2014 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 46.1 Wh condition: 46.5/69.3 Wh (67%) 
  model: ASUSTeK N750-62 status: Unknown 
  Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse 
  charge: 55% (should be ignored) status: Discharging 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4700HQ bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Haswell rev: 3 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 38313 
  Speed: 1978 MHz min/max: 800/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1646 2: 1610 
  3: 1671 4: 1692 5: 1776 6: 1716 7: 1602 8: 1702 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: ASUSTeK 
  driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 750M] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1280x1024~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0 
  Device-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.0-55-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: AzureWave driver: ath9k v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 bus ID: 04:00.0 
  IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 84.29 GiB (35.3%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: LITE-ON IT model: LCS-256M6S size: 238.47 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 64.21 GiB used: 13.64 GiB (21.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3 
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 9.40 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda8 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 57 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 4400 
Info:
  Processes: 260 Uptime: 20m Memory: 7.66 GiB used: 2.16 GiB (28.1%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 
  inxi: 3.0.38 
I am not willing to give up. I really need resume to work, since I need to be able to get up, take my laptop with me and give presentations three to four times a day.

I'm hoping that a woman typing on a laptop with LM20.1 Cinnamon has some more suggestions ;-) Or anyone else with the patience to read this far, of course. Which I do appreciate!

Thanks!
Ocor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: After fresh installation of Mint 20.1, suspend is still not working... I really need to solve this...

Post by SMG »

ocor wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:12 pmAnyway, I used Driver Manager to install nvidia-driver-390, which came recommended and seemed to solve this problem for other users. Apart from the fact that it did not detect the combination of my main and second monitor correctly, it did not solve my problem with resume after suspend.
Did you run inxi after you installed this Nvidia driver? The info does not indicate it is installed.

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1280x1024~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
v: 4.5 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes

Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 57 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 4400

If you ran inxi before you installed the Nvidia driver, please provide an updated inxi -Gx.

If you ran it after you installed the driver, please provide the output of cat /var/log/gpu-manager.log
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
ocor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: After fresh installation of Mint 20.1, suspend is still not working... I really need to solve this...

Post by ocor »

Thanks, SMG! I apologize: I installed the Nvidia driver. Resume still didn't work after that and also I could not get my two monitors aligned with the Nvidia driver installed (using 'display'), so I uninstalled it again.
I ran inxi after that. I realize now that that was not the clever thing to do.

What would be the best thing to do now?

By the way: I ran Mint 20.1 Live from USB first. Suspend and resume worked fine then....
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ocor wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:50 pmBy the way: I ran Mint 20.1 Live from USB first. Suspend and resume worked fine then....
Was it working with both monitors the way you wanted them to work with the live session? It's my understanding the nouveau driver is used on the LM20.1 ISO. That's what your system is showing now, but I presume it is not working as it is now.

Did you test again after you installed, but before you ran updates? It's possible there is an update that might be causing an issue on your computer. I would suggest adding the upgrades in small groups to see if you can determine what might be causing the problem.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I just do not understand why this does not work, while it used to work without problems...
snip
By the way: I ran Mint 20.1 Live from USB first. Suspend and resume worked fine then
That is an awful problem to have. I think I would even get a desktop system to make it work, if that is what it took.

When you were on LM 19.3, suspend worked if you didn't use a 2nd monitor??
Same on LM 20.1??
Aren't we saying the 2nd monitor is the common problem?
Did you use the 2nd monitor on the live USB boot?
ocor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ocor »

Thanks for replying mikeflan and you too SMG! I appreciate the kindness of this forum and the willingness of members to listen, read and help.

This is the story in a nutshell:
I installed Mint 19.3 MATE about a year and a half ago. Everything worked fine, including Suspend/Resume on both one monitor and on two monitors. Some 2 months after the initial installation, I installed Cinnamon into my existing installation of Mint 19.3 MATE. All went well and I was happy.

Somewhere in the beginning of May this year, that changed when suddenly I was not able to get my system to resume from suspend anymore, presumably after an update, but I don't know which one. You can read all about it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=349017 (although maybe you shouldn't).

So, two days ago on Sunday I decided to create a backup, wipe Mint 19.3 and install Mint 20.1 Cinnamon.
To my surprise, resume from suspend did not work right after the installation was finished, and I am back to where I was with 19.3 (albeit with a somewhat faster and certainly a much cleaner system). Although I'd rather not use Nvidia's proprietary drivers, I tried to get resume working with the recommended driver (390), but that didn't work. On top of that, adjusting the order of my main and secondary screens in 'display' distorted my desktop. Nevertheless, I did try Suspend/Resume, but resume didn't work with Nvidia's driver either, so I reverted to the original graphics driver, which is the open source nouveau driver.
I installed the latest kernel, but that did not change anything either.

To answer your question, SMG: in the live session suspend/resume worked fine with both monitors enabled.
And yes, I tested again after I installed, but before I ran updates and resume did not work.

So, from the live version, suspend/resume worked flawlessly. After I installed (from the very same iso), resume failed before and after updates and with as well as without the extra monitor attached.

Thanks! Grtz.,
Ocor
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ocor wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:55 amSo, from the live version, suspend/resume worked flawlessly. After I installed (from the very same iso), resume failed before and after updates and with as well as without the extra monitor attached.
That seems to suggest there is something in how you are installing Mint which is a factor. Can you describe your process for installing Mint? Are you using a Wiindows efi partition when you do the install?
ocor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ocor »

I never realized that that could be a factor. Yes, I do use EFI and have rEFInd installed. This is my /etc/fstab file:

UUID=A6E4-1A9A	                            /boot/efi	        vfat	defaults                0       1 #/dev/sda1
UUID=7576fc51-020a-4e8c-9586-9824daace544   /mnt/systemdata     ext4    defaults,rw,x-gvfs-show 0       2 #/dev/sda2
UUID=999f80e6-5e06-4b08-9f09-ae917129e6d7   /                   ext4    errors=remount-ro       0       1 #/dev/sda3
UUID=092d8b70-b201-4a78-afdd-f605102d56f7   none                swap    sw                      0       0 #/dev/sda8
UUID=a76fce93-7c9c-48ba-8050-3df9a3eba1e2   /mnt/dropboxdata    ext4    defaults,rw,x-gvfs-show 0       2 #/dev/sda9
/swapfile                                   none                swap    sw                      0       0
So I installed Mint. After that rEFInd wouldn't boot (grub did), so I ran sudo refind-mkdefault to boot from /boot/efi by default. When I first installed Mint 19.3 last year, I still had Windows 10 running and I installed rEFInd from Windows. I do not any longer have Windows 10 installed.

I installed Mint 20.1 from a Ventoy Multi-boot USB stick, by the way.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ocor wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:06 pmI never realized that that could be a factor. Yes, I do use EFI and have rEFInd installed.
I do not know if it might be a factor, but I did notice your partitions listed in inxi did not show an efi partition. Others on this forum have more knowledge on that topic than I presently do and might be able to shed light on whether or not this might be a factor. I've seen other inxi information which does list the efi partition, but I do not know if that might be a clue in this situation. I do not have any experience with rEFInd.

Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 84.29 GiB (35.3%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: LITE-ON IT model: LCS-256M6S size: 238.47 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 64.21 GiB used: 13.64 GiB (21.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3 
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 9.40 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda8 
I'm not sure what else might be a difference between the live session and the initial install except the initial install is written to the drive.
ocor wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:06 pmI do not any longer have Windows 10 installed.
Is there any correspondence between when you first noticed the issue on the LM19 install and when Windows 10 was removed?
ocor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ocor »

I have a class for the next 4 hours, but when I return I am going to follow up on this. Maybe just bypass the EFI boot manager and see what happens.

Nope, there is no correspondence between resume working on Mint 19.3 and my deleting Windows 10; after getting rid of Windows, resume kept on working fine for a couple of months until last May.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

I read this thread and also old thread. I am not sure I understand the problem correctly. Are you really trying to suspend your machine or are you trying to hibernate it? In the old thread you mentioned more times changes to the swap partition and swap file. I believe that suspend has nothing to do with the swap space. That is relevant for hibernation.

In the old thread you mentioned that you try to wake the machine from suspension with space bar (aka 'any key'). That is new to me. Where did you set that? If I suspend my notebook, I can wake it up only with the press on the power button or opening the lid. How do you suspend your machine, with Mint Menu, with closing the lid or something else? What do you do after a failed wakeup, hard reset, reboot or something else?

Maybe you can see what is happening during invoking suspend with journalctl. Boot your machine, leave it for 10 minutes alone, then suspend it and remember the time of suspending, leave the machine again alone for 10 minutes, then try to wake the machine up and remember the time of waking up. After rebooting or hard reseting, check journalctl for last boot around times of suspending and waking up.
ocor wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:06 pm Yes, I do use EFI and have rEFInd installed. This is my /etc/fstab file
ocor wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:06 pm So I installed Mint. After that rEFInd wouldn't boot (grub did), so I ran sudo refind-mkdefault to boot from /boot/efi by default. When I first installed Mint 19.3 last year, I still had Windows 10 running and I installed rEFInd from Windows. I do not any longer have Windows 10 installed.

I installed Mint 20.1 from a Ventoy Multi-boot USB stick, by the way.
A lot of "improvisation". If I were you, I would start from scratch, preparing installation media with dd command, creating a new GPT partition table, preparing wished partitions with Gparted and installing Mint. If you believe that Nvidia card is the reason for troubles, disable it in UEFI.

Regards, Jože
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

As an FYI: Here is a video of installing with UEFI HOW TO INSTALL LINUX MINT 20.1 "ULYSSA" UEFI MODE + GPT 2021. Note the root partition should be at least 30GB (not 20GB as in the video) for LM20, but since you do not have a separate home partition that is not really relevant. I'm just mentioning it for others who may read this thread.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

In the old thread you mentioned that you try to wake the machine from suspension with space bar (aka 'any key'). That is new to me. Where did you set that? If I suspend my notebook, I can wake it up only with the press on the power button or opening the lid. How do you suspend your machine, with Mint Menu, with closing the lid or something else?
I am not the OP. I mention this for whatever it is worth.
I run the same version of LM 19.3 Cinnamon on many machines. This one at my vacation house will only resume from a suspend when I push the start button on the computer. My main machine at home will start if I press any key. (or push the start button). I'm thinking that main machine used to require pushing the start button, but I could be wrong about that. I just pushed a key one day and it worked. AFAIK I did not do anything to affect this on either machine. It just comes with the updates (or original install), or it doesn't. Or maybe the computer hardware determines if any key works or not. Who knows.
ocor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ocor »

Thanks for the video SMG. I set up EFI (with rEFInd) after I had installed Min 19.3 alongside Windows 10 last year. It has always worked fine. However, I am going to format my HDD and completely re-install Mint 20.3 over the weekend, and I'll follow these instructions, so I'm sure everything is okay and fresh.

@senjoz That's actually a good observation. I have always assumed that suspend needed swap as well, but I have read up on the subject (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_ ... _hibernate) and indeed it doesn't. There is something called hybrid suspend, but that is not what I was trying to get to work. So, thanks!

So, I was not trying to get hibernate to work. After I read your post, however, I got curious and tried to set up my system for hibernation. Unfortunately, hibernate does not seem to work at all. And since I am going to rebuild my system from the ground up in the weekend, I am not willing to spend more time on this at this moment.

I have always been able to suspend my machine with the menu, with a script and by invoking the script with a keyboard shortcut (which in my case was Super key + S). In all three cases (although using the keyboard shortcut is of course the same as using the script) the system used to wake up from suspend without a problem.
After a failed wake-up the only thing I CAN do is a hard reset, unfortunately.

As for your question about the space bar waking up the system from suspend: that has always worked for me 'out of the box'. It also woke up when I just moved the mouse. This may actually be related to a setting in the BIOS on your machine. On mine it is not, but I do have a setting 'Wake on lid open', which was enabled. Mind you: my BIOS is from 2012, so YMMV.

I am not looking forward to completely rebuilding my system. Yes, I do have a fresh backup, but I'm always fussy with settings and stuff and I know from experience that I'll be busy with those the better part of the weekend.

Anyway, I'll update this thread after the basic first setup on Saturday, so before any updates, driver installs or anything else to let you guys know if suspend is working then. Honestly though, I'm not holding my breath... :|

Thank you all for now! :)
ocor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ocor »

So, I am really glad I didn't hold my breath after my last post: my resume after suspend problem is still not solved.

In the meantime, this is what I did:
  • completely reset my BIOS settings,
  • read up on Nvidia's proprietary drivers and decided to stay with nouveau's FOSS driver,
  • formatted my HDD and re-installed Mint 19.3 on / with home on a separate /home partition and a 16GB swap partition,
  • right after that I tested suspend and resume: didn't work, same problems as before,
  • after that, I installed Mint 20.1 alongside 19.3: same result,
  • then I replaced Mint 19.3 and installed Manjaro with KDE instead: same result.
Nothing of the above worked; I still cannot resume from suspend or resume from hibernate either in Mint nor in Manjaro.
So, it's back to square one...

The fact that first it (suspend + resume) worked, then it suddenly stopped working, and now even after a completely new installation it does not work, has made me wonder if maybe this is caused by a hardware problem, specifically a RAM problem. I do see what seems to be an error related to RAM and the graphics driver:
Jun 17 12:48:10 ambrosia kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]

I am not sure what to do with that, though. Please let me know if you do.

Thanks to everyone reading this.
Last edited by ocor on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

ocor wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:28 pm So, I am really glad I didn't hold my breath after my last post: my resume after suspend problem is still not solved.

In the meantime, this is what I did:
  • completely reset my BIOS settings,
  • read up on Nvidia's proprietary drivers and decided to stay with nouveau's FOSS driver,
  • formatted my HDD and re-installed Mint 19.3 on / with home on a separate /home partition and a 16GB swap partition,
  • right after that I tested suspend and resume: didn't work, same problems as before,
  • after that, I installed Mint 20.1: same result,
  • then I replaced Mint 19.3 and installed Manjaro with KDE instead: same result.
Nothing of the above worked; I still cannot resume from suspend or resume from hibernate either in Mint nor in Manjaro.
So, it's back to square one...

The fact that first it (suspend + resume) worked, then it suddenly stopped working, and now even after a completely new installation it does not work, has made me wonder if maybe this is caused by a hardware problem, specifically a RAM problem. I do see what seems to be an error related to RAM and the graphics driver:
Jun 17 12:48:10 ambrosia kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]

I am not sure what to do with that, though. Please let me know if you do.

Thanks to everyone reading this.
I'm inclined to agree that it seems to more possibly be a hardware problem...especially given that error message

I'm curious given https://origin-www.asus.com/Laptops/N75 ... fications/ if your specific laptop only has one stick of 8 GB of ram as that inxi report seems to indicate.

1st confirm if that's the case. If you have two 4GB sticks of ram. Ensure that laptop is completely powered off and the battery removed. Then remove on one stick of ram and power the laptop back on and see if the problem persists.

If you only have one stick of ram, you may want buy a new stick that is the same type and speed as what came included.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ocor wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:28 pmThe fact that first it (suspend + resume) worked, then it suddenly stopped working, and now even after a completely new installation it does not work, has made me wonder if maybe this is caused by a hardware problem, specifically a RAM problem. I do see what seems to be an error related to RAM and the graphics driver:
I would interpret this as a nouveau driver problem. The 0000:01:00.0 is the bus ID of the Nvidia card (see below). That card has memory on it which is separate from the RAM in your computer.

I do not recall the exact date, but I'm pretty sure the nouveau driver was updated within the past few months (and possibly as early as the LM20.1 ISO, but I do not recall the exact date). It's possible the updated driver is resulting in an issue on your hardware.

Did you check to see if suspend is working on the live session of Mint?

In this type of situation I would normally recommend trying the Nvidia driver. However, there have recently been changes to Nvidia drivers and quite a few people have been posting with issues.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

SMG wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:20 pm
ocor wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:28 pmThe fact that first it (suspend + resume) worked, then it suddenly stopped working, and now even after a completely new installation it does not work, has made me wonder if maybe this is caused by a hardware problem, specifically a RAM problem. I do see what seems to be an error related to RAM and the graphics driver:
I would interpret this as a nouveau driver problem. The 0000:01:00.0 is the bus ID of the Nvidia card (see below). That card has memory on it which is separate from the RAM in your computer.

I do not recall the exact date, but I'm pretty sure the nouveau driver was updated within the past few months (and possibly as early as the LM20.1 ISO, but I do not recall the exact date). It's possible the updated driver is resulting in an issue on your hardware.

Did you check to see if suspend is working on the live session of Mint?

In this type of situation I would normally recommend trying the Nvidia driver. However, there have recently been changes to Nvidia drivers and quite a few people have been posting with issues.
(facepalm). duh. Sorry Ocor. I should have figured that.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
ocor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ocor »

@motoryzen: No problem. I appreciate your thoughts on this. And still, you may not be far from the truth, because:

@SMG I apologize as I should have mentioned that the live versions of Mint 19.3 MATE and Mint 20.1 Cinnamon do not resume from suspend either. Worse yet: sometimes my laptop doesn't turn on after a normal shutdown. In those cases, the screen will come alive as do the fans, but nothing else will happen. The NumLock and CapsLock keys will be unresponsive as well. The only thing I can do to get going again is press the power button for eight seconds to turn the laptop off completely. After that, I can press the power button once and the machine will boot up without problems.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ocor wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:37 amWorse yet: sometimes my laptop doesn't turn on after a normal shutdown. In those cases, the screen will come alive as do the fans, but nothing else will happen. The NumLock and CapsLock keys will be unresponsive as well. The only thing I can do to get going again is press the power button for eight seconds to turn the laptop off completely. After that, I can press the power button once and the machine will boot up without problems.
Powering up the computer's hardware components is a function of the hardware and firmware (BIOS/UEFI). Hardware and firmware are also the key components when suspending the computer. The fact you have problems powering up the computer seems to indicate it the operating system may not be the issue in this case. The operating system can only give directions and then the hardware/firmware takes control.

I do not know if the issue is a problem with the screen (and thus you think the computer is not starting because nothing is registering on it) or there is a problem elsewhere. Whatever is causing that problem may be the source of the problem of the computer not suspending.

Return to “Other topics”