"New User" Password Issue

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
abdunnafialif
Level 2
Level 2

"New User" Password Issue

Post by abdunnafialif »

I added a new user (standard or administrator) with no password.
But when the new user logs in and tries to set their password, they can't open the app "Users and Groups" where they can set their password. "Users and groups" asks for the password of the previous admin.
Yes, I know that there is another app called "Account Details" with which a user can change their password. Unfortunately, this app shows that some password is set (with black dots) and when they click to change the password it asks them to provide their current password and then the new one. But, since the previous admin didn't set their password; now this new user has no password to provide. (Empty password doesn't work here)
It would have been better if there was written "No password set" instead of the black dots and when trying to set the password, instead of asking for the imaginary "current password."
Now there is only one (GUI) way, log out and ask the (previous) admin to go to "users and groups" and then set a password for them.

But I think there should be a way for the new user to set there own password.

I would like to mention a GNOME thing here. I'm not suggesting this or saying it is the thing to be done. Rather it is for example only. When you create a new user from GNOME; the new user (may be new admin) is forced to set a password for themselves at the time of login. So, they can set there own password.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: "New User" Password Issue

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Since you are calling this an issue, I have moved it out of chat. Chat is not for finding solutions, that is what the support part of the forum is for.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

abdunnafialif wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:44 am But I think there should be a way for the new user to set there own password.
You are talking about gui, which has limited possibilities.
Not supplying password while creating a user prevents a possibility of their authentication. It is expected situation: no password - no authentication.
As opposed to "the nonexistent password", you can add user with an empty password using useradd command. example:

Code: Select all

sudo useradd john_dow
echo john_dow:U6aMy0wojraho | sudo chpasswd -e
su john_dow
They can change their password after login

Code: Select all

passwd
Changing password for john_dow.
Current password: 
New password: 
Retype new password: 
passwd: password updated successfully
Do not confuse useradd with adduser, useradd is a low level utility. Administrators should usually use adduser instead.
Other options: see man useradd and man adduser
-=t42=-
abdunnafialif
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abdunnafialif »

Moem wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:10 am Chat is not for finding solutions.
although I'm calling it an issue, I did not post it to find solution. Rather, I was just trying to draw your attention to the phenomenon.
And as
t42 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:20 am You are talking about gui, which has limited possibilities.
Yes, I am talking about GUI only. Not CLI. I know that there is much easier (or faster?) way to do all this things. My goal was: just draw your attention to the fact and consider Improvement. :) (Something like suggestion) That's why I was talking about an example also.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

abdunnafialif wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:04 pm although I'm calling it an issue, I did not post it to find solution. Rather, I was just trying to draw your attention to the phenomenon.
Whose? The devs? Then how about 'Suggestions & Feedback'?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
abdunnafialif
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abdunnafialif »

Moem wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:08 pm Whose? The devs?
Maybe Yes...
Moem wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:08 pm Then how about 'Suggestions & Feedback'?
Okay

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”