How to make Mint shut down instead of suspend?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cmlc
Level 1
Level 1

How to make Mint shut down instead of suspend?

Post by cmlc »

How can I make Linux Mint shut down system after a certain idle (unused) time rather than the standard suspend mode? I can't find an option on power management settings? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to make Mint shut down instead of suspend?

Post by HaveaMint »

cmlc wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:57 pm How can I make Linux Mint shut down system after a certain idle (unused) time rather than the standard suspend mode? I can't find an option on power management settings? Thanks
I found this searching https://askubuntu.com/questions/442795/ ... being-idle
And one person did this: (NOTE; I haven't tried it) I recommend saving the original file before any edits.

Code: Select all

This is an old question but I thought I would answer it with what works for me in Ubuntu 21.04. You can set an IdleAction in your systemd/logind.conf file.

Edit the file using:

sudo nano /etc/systemd/logind.conf

and add:

IdleAction=poweroff
IdleActionSec=120min

I have tested it with IdleActionSec=1min and the machine shuts down as expected.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
cmlc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmlc »

HaveaMint wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:03 pm
cmlc wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:57 pm How can I make Linux Mint shut down system after a certain idle (unused) time rather than the standard suspend mode? I can't find an option on power management settings? Thanks
And one person did this: (NOTE; I haven't tried it) I recommend saving the original file before any edits.

This is an old question but I thought I would answer it with what works for me in Ubuntu 21.04. You can set an IdleAction in your systemd/logind.conf file.

Edit the file using:

and add:

IdleAction=poweroff
IdleActionSec=120min

I have tested it with IdleActionSec=1min and the machine shuts down as expected.
Thanks for your answer but it didn't work out.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

cmlc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:19 am

Edit the file using:

and add:

IdleAction=poweroff
IdleActionSec=120min

Did you logout and back in and then wait for the time?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
cmlc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmlc »

all41 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:53 pm
cmlc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:19 am

Edit the file using:

and add:

IdleAction=poweroff
IdleActionSec=120min

Did you logout and back in and then wait for the time?
I rebooted the computer. I found a solution thanks to a friend on a differen forum. I'll post here soon.
cmlc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmlc »

Below is quoted from another friend.

Install Dconf editor with sudo apt install dconf-editor command.
Then start the mint menu and start Dconf editor. (Type Dconf and click).

Open these keys in the interface respectively.

org => cinnamon => settings-daemon => plugins => power

Find sleep-inactive-ac-type under power option, right click on it and select shutdown option .
From now on , the system will be shut down instead of suspend. You can adjust the ide waiting time in the power settings.

Return to “Other topics”