Black Screen on Start

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aPlayer
Level 1
Level 1

Black Screen on Start

Post by aPlayer »

Hello Mint forums, I hope I posted in the correct place my problem that I am currently facing.

I installed yesterday the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon. It was a clean install, I switched from Win10 to this.

Today, I changed in the driver manager my nvidia driver from the first one that was reccomended to the second one that it said in a parantesis that it's open source.

The changes were applied and my laptop froze.
I restarted my laptop and after the LM green logo, all I get is a flickering line on top left, the rest of the screen is black.

I searched on google and I did not found any solutions. I hope I do not need to reinstall my Linux because I spent 8 hours yesterday on setting up my laptop with oracle virtual machine and the VMs that I need.
I also has not done any so called snaps.

Please, explain to me like you explain to a dummy on how to revert that change.

On Windows it is much easier but on linux, I find it impossible to do it.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Black Screen on Start

Post by mikeflan »

I would try live booting Linux Mint via a USB drive and then Timeshift back a day or so. Then reboot.
I believe the live boot would be with the disk or USB you installed Linux with.

A simpler solution might be to live boot Linux Mint and just go into Driver Manager and change the driver back.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Black Screen on Start

Post by SMG »

mikeflan wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:10 pmA simpler solution might be to live boot Linux Mint and just go into Driver Manager and change the driver back.
That will not change the driver on the installed system. One can not change drivers on the hard drive by using Driver Manager on the live session.
aPlayer wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:13 pmToday, I changed in the driver manager my nvidia driver from the first one that was reccomended to the second one that it said in a parantesis that it's open source.

The changes were applied and my laptop froze.
How did it "unfreeze"? Did you happen to press the power button to shut off the computer? Doing that can corrupt files. You probably ended up with only part of the driver files installed.
aPlayer wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:13 pmI hope I do not need to reinstall my Linux because I spent 8 hours yesterday on setting up my laptop with oracle virtual machine and the VMs that I need.
Did you take any Timeshift snapshots during that process? If so, you can revert to a snapshot so you would not have to start over.
aPlayer wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:13 pmI restarted my laptop and after the LM green logo, all I get is a flickering line on top left, the rest of the screen is black.
When you restart your computer, after the BIOS/UEFI splash screen, press the Escape key repeatedly until the grub menu comes up.

In grub, select the Advanced Options. Then select a kernel number with (recovery mode) after it. That should boot you into the system using software rendering (no graphics drivers).

If you have Timeshift snapshot saved, open Timeshift and revert to a saved snapshot.

If you do not have snapshots, then please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.

Then you should be able to open Driver Manager. I do not know what you might find in it because I'm not sure what was happening when your computer "froze", but you can see if it will let you re-install the Nvidia driver.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Other topics”