Timeshift backup plan

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux Newb
Level 1
Level 1

Timeshift backup plan

Post by Linux Newb »

[ split from old topic Timeshift - how many snapshots to keep? ]

I just started with Linux a little less than a month ago (installing Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon onto my brother's PC). I have already needed to use Timeshift, and I have found a reason to keep multiple snapshots. Once, when trying to restore a snapshot from Timeshift, the two most recent ones failed to successfully restore the system. So I set up Timeshift to record and retain 7 Daily, 5 Weekly (since there are 4.33333 weeks in a month) because I have witnessed updates occurring as often as twice daily, and 2 Monthly - The drive space is not a consideration since I recently replaced my two HDD's with 1 TB ones and put the two 500 GB ones into his machine. One is will be used for data and the other solely for Timeshift snapshots.

And since my brother rarely, if ever, saves any files to his PC (he basically uses it for email and surfing, but I'm trying to get him to take advantage of the many other possible uses for his computer), I also include his data in the snapshots.

My thinking runs along the line of HaveaMint who says "Installing the fresh OS does go quick but it takes time installing the extra apps you like and setting them up the way you like so I am a firm believer in Timeshift." Couple that with the fact that Timeshift actually works (whereas Windows System Restore is so undependable) and is so configurable, I am also a strong Timeshift believer.

Finally, since I will be handling any issues my brother may encounter, I think it would be easier to walk him through a Timeshift restore over the phone than to have to pick up his machine and reload/tweak everything.

Comments/suggestions welcomed (and encouraged).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Timeshift backup plan

Post by AndyMH »

You've found the benefits of timeshift, what are you using to look after /home? I use backintime, works in a similar fashion to timeshift with snapshots. Timeshift default everything except home, backintime default only home, so complementary.
My thinking runs along the line of HaveaMint who says "Installing the fresh OS does go quick but it takes time installing the extra apps you like and setting them up the way you like so I am a firm believer in Timeshift."
Timeshift only gets you so far, all your config files live in home. You have two choices:
  • let backintime take care of it.
  • enable 'include hidden files in home' in timeshift.
Sounds like you are running timeshift automatically to an internal drive. You can also automate backintime.

The other thing to consider is an image backup as a backstop. I have timeshift/backintime running daily, infrequently I take an image backup. In the event of a major failure, the image backup gets me back to when I took it and then timeshift/backintime get me back to yesterday. I use foxclone (I developed it), but there are alternatives.

All my PCs have an internal/removable 2TB HDD used solely for backup. I have a small (10GB) partition on that drive with mint installed in it. It means I can boot the PC independently of the main drive to fix problems without having to faff around with usb sticks. I have foxclone installed in that copy of mint.

Setting up dual boot on separate drives is easy when booting in legacy mode, slightly more complicated with UEFI boot due to a bug in the installer.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Linux Newb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Newb »

Thanks for the reply. I have two separate 500 GB HDD's (in addition to the 250 SSD GB system drive) installed in my brother's PC.
I use one HDD solely for data files and the other solely for Timeshift snapshots - keeping 7 daily, 5 weekly, and 2 monthly. Overkill? Probably. But since the space is already there, and since the Timeshift operations are transparent to my brother, I figured "Why Not?"

One of my main reasons for upgrading my PC was to stay current with Windows' developments, but I've already discovered (via the PC Health Check utility from Microsoft) that my setup will NOT meet the requirements for Windows 11 - TOTAL BS!!! I have been very impressed, so far, with Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon and am giving serious consideration to installing it (possibly dual-boot) on my personal PC.

Since my brother currently uses his PC mainly for web browsing and email (i.e., he doesn't have a single data file on it - but I'm trying to change his attitude about that), I am including all files in the snapshots. As for a complete system image, I am still investigating. I have used Macrium Reflect and Acronis on Windows, but still haven't determined what is available on Linux.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Linux Newb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:04 pm I have used Macrium Reflect and Acronis on Windows, but still haven't determined what is available on Linux.
I use Andy's app https://www.foxclone.com/ as he said above, it is a fine app and works very well. I have a couple of usb drives that I use with mint installed on them along with Foxclone app installed on the USB's. I boot to the usb drive and then create an image of the "main" pc saving it to the usb drive, works great. Andy's app is great but it seems he is rich and doesn't have a gratuity link. :D
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Linux Newb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Newb »

Appreciate the input HaveaMint. Next time I have access to my brother's PC, I will add foxclone. Additional thanks to AndyMH.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Linux Newb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:38 pm Appreciate the input HaveaMint. Next time I have access to my brother's PC, I will add foxclone. Additional thanks to AndyMH.
Foxclone cannot be on the same PC that you are trying to create an image of, this is why I did it on my usb drive. Foxclone can be installed on a flash drive also.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

but it seems he is rich and doesn't have a gratuity link.
I wish :) , but foxclone is FOSS and will stay that way.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Linux Newb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Newb »

HaveaMint wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm
Linux Newb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:38 pm Appreciate the input HaveaMint. Next time I have access to my brother's PC, I will add foxclone. Additional thanks to AndyMH.
Foxclone cannot be on the same PC that you are trying to create an image of, this is why I did it on my usb drive. Foxclone can be installed on a flash drive also.
Thanks for the added (and important) info.
johnlvs2run
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johnlvs2run »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:37 am Timeshift default everything except home, backintime default only home, so complementary.

The other thing to consider is an image backup as a backstop. I have timeshift/backintime running daily, infrequently I take an image backup. In the event of a major failure, the image backup gets me back to when I took it and then timeshift/backintime get me back to yesterday. I use foxclone (I developed it), but there are alternatives.

All my PCs have an internal/removable 2TB HDD used solely for backup. I have a small (10GB) partition on that drive with mint installed in it. It means I can boot the PC independently of the main drive to fix problems without having to faff around with usb sticks. I have foxclone installed in that copy of mint.
Wow, that is awesome. I will work on doing those things when my computer is updated.
LM 20.2 / Biostar a870u3 / Amd Athlon II x2 / 8gb G.Skill DDR3 / 250gb Adata ssd / Earthwatts 80+ EA-380 /
plus not working is Amd Athlon 3000g / Asus Prime B450M mb / 2x8gb ddr4 3200 and I haven't found the reason.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

HaveaMint wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm Foxclone cannot be on the same PC that you are trying to create an image of, this is why I did it on my usb drive. Foxclone can be installed on a flash drive also.
Any image backup software cannot backup the system it booted from. You have to be able to guarantee that nothing changes in the filesystem while you are backing it up. That's why the likes of clonezilla, rescuezilla and foxclone all require you to boot from a separate system, typically on a usb stick.
Linux Newb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Newb »

I have used Acronis. After it is launched, and the parameters are set, it restarts the PC and runs prior to the system booting up.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Linux Newb wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:15 pm I have used Acronis. After it is launched, and the parameters are set, it restarts the PC and runs prior to the system booting up.
Macruim Reflect works the same way, you can start it from the PC, but it takes over and runs in RAM only, isolated from the PC operating system.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Linux Newb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Newb »

I have also used Macrium Reflect (and presumed that it captured everything), but wasn't sure of the mechanism by which it worked. It's more obvious with Acronis when your computer restarts and opens nothing but Acronis.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Linux Newb wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:05 pm I have also used Macrium Reflect (and presumed that it captured everything), but wasn't sure of the mechanism by which it worked. It's more obvious with Acronis when your computer restarts and opens nothing but Acronis.
IMO, Acronis is the better of the two.
It was the only backup utility that our IT shop would use, and we had it along with Macrium Reflect and "QuickDrive"

I just opened a box to see what was in it yesterday, it was a QuickDrive which uses a Parallel printer port to talk to the PC.
the application is supplied on Five 3.5" floppy disks.... it is under my feet right now, ought to take a picture of it.

the carry case it came in:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Linux Newb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Newb »

That puts me in mind of the first computer I ever worked on (in 1977). It was a Data General MV3000. It was able to run only one program at a time, and the disk drive (a 10-disk platter with the platters being slightly larger than LP's - remember those?) that stored a whopping 50 MB of data.

Return to “Other topics”