remote desktop without program

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GamerGaskin
Level 2
Level 2

remote desktop without program

Post by GamerGaskin »

I want to create a space desktop with linux mint.
with the same idea as windows server.
So that no program is running on the computer, but can simply log in to this PC, via the standard login screen
I have already managed to log in with username and password.
But want to log in to this one from another computer.
Without (rdp) programs.
Do you get this, what I mean?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: remote desktop without program

Post by Termy »

AFAIK, you're always going to need some sort of program to allow for remote connections in an operating system. If you don't want to use the Remote Desktop Protocol, you could look into SSH — in Windows, you could use SSH via PuTTY. There's also TeamViewer, but whether you want to trust that or not, is another matter.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
opjose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by opjose »

Doesn't anyone use Xorg's ability to act as a client to another network connected machine anymore??
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

opjose wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:44 am Doesn't anyone use Xorg's ability to act as a client to another network connected machine anymore??
I forget that's even a thing. You just don't really seem to hear about that stuff anymore. It's all SSH this and SSH that. :lol:
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

In the context of this specific thread VNC rather than RDP, SSH or X11 network transparency is more directly to the point: logging in over VNC on a regular graphical login screen and with VNC working under the hood only, i.e., not as an explicit remote-desktop program, used to certainly be a thing.

On Mint first of all the pwetty-and-featureless greeter it uses for its display manager (lightdm) gets in the way but even when I recently tried giving that a kick in the butt to restore VNC functionality, and even though the underlying functionality is still present in lightdm itself, I could not get that up and running any more. Should someone like to try again perhaps this bit of frustration is still lightly useful as a starting point: viewtopic.php?p=2019612#p2019612. I'll also note that similar underlying RDP functionality is present in lightdm and that I've never tested; personally I need no more than SSH really.

But, yes, otherwise please see e.g. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=351208 for a normal VNC setup or use something more involved such as teamviewer: functionality like you request has for years now been falling victim to the "normal people" fallacy; the one in which if developer X thinks something is hard he or she assumes no one needs it since it's certainly too hard for "normal people" anyway; also see GNOME.

Anyways.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

Termy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:02 am
opjose wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:44 am Doesn't anyone use Xorg's ability to act as a client to another network connected machine anymore??
I forget that's even a thing. You just don't really seem to hear about that stuff anymore. It's all SSH this and SSH that. :lol:
whole lot easier to stick with CLI when you're remotely working on a machine. That being said 'ssh -Y' will allow x forwarding to your local X server.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

djph wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:26 am whole lot easier to stick with CLI when you're remotely working on a machine. That being said 'ssh -Y' will allow x forwarding to your local X server.
You'll probably wanna add compression (-C) too, if you're gonna use X11 Forwarding; I found it unbearably slow otherwise.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

Termy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:00 pm
djph wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:26 am whole lot easier to stick with CLI when you're remotely working on a machine. That being said 'ssh -Y' will allow x forwarding to your local X server.
You'll probably wanna add compression (-C) too, if you're gonna use X11 Forwarding; I found it unbearably slow otherwise.
True -- I only ever forward a few small "server control panels" for testing purposes (could run them as a service, but since they're only ever active for a few hours a year ... )
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I expect that by now OP looks even more confused...

Return to “Other topics”