Want to change DE

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sha166
Level 1
Level 1

Want to change DE

Post by sha166 »

20.2 MATE 64-bit
Hello everyone, I want to change my desktop environment to Cinnamon (only Cinnamon). But i download many software that i don’t watch to download again therefore, Is there's a way I can change DE without loosing anything?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Want to change DE

Post by JoeFootball »

sha166 wrote: Is there's a way I can change DE without loosing anything?
Technically, yes, but you'd be introducing a lot of risk using a DE on a system that it wasn't designed for. If it were me, I'd just install a LM Cinnamon deployment alongside your existing one. That said, your computer, your rules.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'd recommend a data backup and clean reinstall as well. Installing more than one DE just is not reliable enough, and the problems this causes are hard to diagnose. In which case the best solution is a clean reinstalll anyway.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
sha166
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sha166 »

If i back up everything can I restore everything in Cinnamon?
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

If you backup /home you'll have all your settings but you'll have to reinstall any software you added.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

Return to “Other topics”