Startpage just ruined itself as a search engine

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Startpage just ruined itself as a search engine

Post by t42 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:54 pm What version is that? Mine is version 1.26.77 and, as far as I know, it's the latest one (I always update Brave when it comes up in the Update Manger). I also don't use any extensions.
Same here, 1.26.77. I'm puzzled. Just for the record, Search engine used in the address bar option is set to DDG.
-=t42=-
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:17 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:55 pm ...I didn't mention Wheel Click as it is so obvious, and I do that as a Habit now, even with Google results.
Simply because DuckDuckGo refuses to honor the Settings for "new tab open" in FF
So you would rather give up some semblance privacy by using Google because you have to use wheel click, which you just said you do anyway? Curious.
unlike a lot of folks, I am NOT concerned about using Google.
I have never had a problem with it, I pay attention to the websites I visit.
IMO, there is too much paranoia about Google.

My cellphone would a useless brick w/o Google apps on it, and I like that I can use Google's Calendar and have it sync with the cellphone/laptop.

No other Calendar app will do that reliably, I have tried every other calendar app in the Android / PC world, and none of them will Sync properly... I wasted nearly a year on that exercise.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

t42 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:00 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:54 pm What version is that? Mine is version 1.26.77 and, as far as I know, it's the latest one (I always update Brave when it comes up in the Update Manger). I also don't use any extensions.
Same here, 1.26.77. I'm puzzled. Just for the record, Search engine used in the address bar option is set to DDG.
My search engine is also set for DuckDuckGo. What desktop are you using? I'm on Cinnamon.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:15 pm My search engine is also set for DuckDuckGo. What desktop are you using? I'm on Cinnamon.
I tested this issue in Cinnamon too.

I managed to reproduce your observation on the absence of DDG Search Settings icon.
[1]: normal state
24-36.png
[2]: being on the DDG search results page click Brave Shield icon and then click Scripts blocked button. For a second that button becomes red and then goes back to off. That action results in disappearing the DDG Search Settings icon ... forever. Any further actions can't bring it back
2.png
[3]: I managed to return this DDG Search Settings icon only by creating new Brave profile.
-=t42=-
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Damien had said:
I tried DuckDuckGo first but just couldnt warm up to it, so i then tried Brave Beta Search Engine
Lady Fitzgerald had said:
My search engine is also set for DuckDuckGo.
Well...i finally figured out why, (totally by accident i might add), the reason why i just couldn't "warm up" to using DuckDuckgo search engine.

Its because it is reliant on the Bing Search Index, Much in the same way that Startpage is reliant on the Google Search Index and i could never stand Bing, plus always wondering just how much info that Microsofts Bing plays Hoover vacuum cleaner on its users...lol.

Still liking the Brave Beta search engine since giving up on Startpage's search engine...And they claim that their search index is being independently developed by Brave itself...I think this is beginning to show much promise...They still have a few rough edges to knock off of it just yet, but at least they are listening to thos of us who are presently using their Beta version thus far...We shall see what happens as time marches on...lol...DAMIEN

Return to “Other topics”