Help! I think I bricked my PC!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cowmama7
Level 1
Level 1

Help! I think I bricked my PC!

Post by cowmama7 »

Last night when altering drive partitions I deleted a nearly empty partition (not an essential one) and was met with an error message prompting me to restart the Pc. However upon restarting all I have been able to access is the hp screen, prompting me to press escape for the startup menu. Upon pressing escape, nothing happens. I waited overnight to see if anything would change, but nothing did. The computer I’m running is a triple boot windows 7, Windows 10, and Linux Mint 20.1 system, with Linux mint as the primary operating system. The model of the computer is an HP elitebook 8640p with 16gb DDR3 and a Core i5 2520m. The keyboard doesn’t seem to be frozen as the caps lock light still functions, but the screen may be. Is there anything I can do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Help! I think I bricked my PC!

Post by AndyMH »

For starters, boot your mint install stick and either post a screenshot running gparted or open a terminal and sudo parted --list and post the output, this will tell us what your drives and partitions are.

I'm guessing that with a second gen i5 you are probably booting legacy, but you may be booting UEFI and managed to delete your EFI partition. If the latter I'm not aware of an easy way to get it back.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
cowmama7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cowmama7 »

Took my usb stick, it’s running Rufus to be bootable, stuck it in but still nothing because It won’t let me enter the bios to change the boot priority :/
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

cowmama7 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:48 am Took my usb stick, it’s running Rufus to be bootable, stuck it in but still nothing because It won’t let me enter the bios to change the boot priority :/
i have older hdmi TV with max resolution of 1280x720 connected to my computer. when new video updates in windows or linux i get blank screen at boot with no option to enter bios.
UNplug any extra video hdmi and reboot. if still nothing it means things changed hard drive UUID when it formatted. this nearly empty partition may have been your bios settings
you need to first figure out your computer bios settings and be able to boot a live linux.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Virtually all PCs allow access to the 'one time' boot list via a function key. It is F12 on my thinkpads, F11 on my desktop. No idea what yours will be.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
cowmama7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cowmama7 »

Thanks! No luck yet, however I found the computer begins beeping when I press f12, not sure what that means though, any ideas?

Edit: same thing happens with f11
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

cowmama7 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:18 pm Thanks! No luck yet, however I found the computer begins beeping when I press f12, not sure what that means though, any ideas?

Edit: same thing happens with f11
You were so close!

For most HP laptops...

"To start Computer Setup, follow these steps:

Turn On or restart the computer, and then press esc while the Press the ESC key [sic] for Startup Menu message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Press f10 to enter Computer Setup."
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Remove the CMOS battery and let the PC sit for a couple of hours.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:03 pm Remove the CMOS battery and let the PC sit for a couple of hours.
looks like an elitebook laptop
try F10 or F9 or both. usually there is a post message onscreen with information about setup or boot. do you see nothing after you turn power on?
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

That does sound pretty bad, not gonna lie. :( If this were back in ye olde days, I'd have said to unplug the IDE drive and check the BIOS again, in-case the drive was buggered and halting the BIOS somehow.

I don't see why a perfectly healthy drive would cause a BIOS/UEFI to not display, no matter what you do to its partition table or partitions therein. Maybe modern UEFIs are super-sensitive, I dunno.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Keith2021 »

cowmama7,
Did you ever get this figured out? I have about the same problem and wanted to know if you had to get a new computer since you couldn't get into the Bios.
Linux mint 20.2-Mate, Linux Mint 21-Cinnamon, Zorin 16 Pro
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

This is/was a known issue on some early UEFI systems, most specifically those with an early Phoenix "SecureCore Tiano 1.x" UEFI implementation and amounts/ed to installation of any OS in UEFI mode causing this issue due to a BUG in the machine's handling of some UEFI parameters. Entry to the BIOS could be restored at least by reflashing the BIOS (which would usually require a Windows install on to the system; note that you can legally download and install Windows 10 directly from Microsoft for testing purposes such as "does this Windows version allow to flash a BIOS?"). You need to make sure to use command-line switches or checkboxes on a graphical flash-tool to e.g. "clear UEFI variables" or some such.

I'd immediately set the system to legacy rather than UEFI as soon as the BIOS flash would allow entry into the BIOS again, and keep it on legacy for then installing Linux.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

As AndyMH said most pc's are able to change the boot sequence, I have an HP a couple of years old and when I press the ESC key several times during boot it comes up to the selecting screen. You might try that to see if you can get a different boot sequence.

Return to “Other topics”