Virus

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ToutAlu
Level 3
Level 3

Virus

Post by ToutAlu »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Virus

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

ToutAlu
Based on telemetry with collaboration from our partners at McAfee Enterprise ATR, this Linux threat has been active in the wild since August targeting telecom companies, government agencies, IT companies, financial institutions and advisory companies around the world. Targeting has been limited in scope, suggesting that this malware is used in specific attacks rather than mass spreading.

The sophistication of this threat, its intent to conduct espionage, and the fact that the code hasn’t been seen before in other attacks, together with the fact that it targets specific entities in the wild, leads us to believe that this threat was developed by a skilled threat actor.
Whats your point here...Are you, or any of us here running servers, or engaged in any of the activities above i have marked in red ???

Are you worried because you have the nuclear launch codes on your computer ???...Are you running Red Hat Linux systems ???...Did you actually read the article or just post it here to spread just some more FUD ???.

This is a NON-ISSUE for home use Linux Operating Systems...Im sure that these "skilled threat actors" could not care any less about grandma's secret chocolate chip cookie recipe in your computer files...lol...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

this is an Advertizement ... trying to sell some sort of anti-malware software.
===
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Dune
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 am
Based on telemetry with collaboration from our partners at McAfee Enterprise ATR, this Linux threat has been active in the wild since August targeting telecom companies, government agencies, IT companies, financial institutions and advisory companies around the world. Targeting has been limited in scope, suggesting that this malware is used in specific attacks rather than mass spreading.
Whats your point here...Are you, or any of us here running servers, or engaged in any of the activities above i have marked in red ???
Hi,

Linux home users have no antivirus program reporting the attacks to its vendor (there is no longer any commercial offer for Linux home users, and installed programs will have their end of support in 2021 or 2022).

So, there is no centralized information monitoring the attacks against Linux home users. This does not mean there is no attack, just that we don't know (except a user victim of an attack). You need to look at what companies such as McAfee or Trend micro report to have an idea about what threats are in the wild.

Regards,

MN
Last edited by Moem on Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You need to look at what companies such as McAfee or Trend micro report to have an idea about what threats are in the wild.
Please show a link to just one report from one of these companies that show threats in the wild to Linux Home user systems only, NOT servers, so myself as well as others can examine it then...DAMIEN
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:07 am
You need to look at what companies such as McAfee or Trend micro report to have an idea about what threats are in the wild.
Please show a link to just one report from one of these companies that show threats in the wild to Linux Home user systems only, NOT servers, so myself as well as others can examine it then...DAMIEN
Hi,
There is no report available from these companies about home users attacks, since the companies don't sell any product to Linux home users. You can just use what they report about the companies to which they sell products to have an idea of what are the threats.

Trend Micro has just published a report about 13 000 000 attacks they have recorded on the 1st half of 2021 on the companies they monitor. You can use this report to see what are the threats, and if you are concerned (there is a classification by operating system / tools concerned by the attacks).

You can also use the information from the CERTs (Computer Emergency Response Team) to see what are the threats. Most of the "developed" western countries have a CERT.

Regards,

MN
Level 20

Post by rene »

So, in other words, indeed there's no objective data available, no --- except then for not any user on this forum for one of the most popular Linux desktop operating systems ever having had to deal with a virus on desktop Linux of course, but let us not concern ourselves with details --- but Mike is right anyway, since it's all very scary, and security, and cool, and.., and..., because secuwity.

Mike; please take your Windows garbage elsewhere (preferably to Windows).
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

@ MikeNovember

what is your point?

are you suggesting that a user of Linux Mint does something in particular?
Peter
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

back to the real world:
It is well known that Linux Mint is a bit behind the curve on security patches:
With their main Ubuntu based product they hear about bugs and patches from Ubuntu, who in turn heard about those bugs from various sources and addresses them in their own way... and later making their patches available to Linux Mint.
In the case of LMDE, for the bits of Debian they use, the patches and security updates from Debian Security appear to take a couple weeks before the "update manager" waves a flag, sometimes longer.

should WE be concerned about that?
I think not.

By Far the biggest security leak is thru Social Engineering
Peter
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Moderator's note:

Some posts removed. Let's keep this about the subject, not the poster.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 am @ MikeNovember

what is your point?

are you suggesting that a user of Linux Mint does something in particular?
Hi,

Linux users, as other operating systems users, should use an antivirus protection.

Home users are let with:
- Linux Malware Detect, specialized in malware detection,
- rootkits scanners, chkrootkit and rkhunter,
- clamav for on-demand and on access scan.

This is not the absolute protection method, but something to apply in a global security approach. See viewtopic.php?f=42&t=357037.

Regards,

MN
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

sdibaja wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:50 am this is an Advertizement ... trying to sell some sort of anti-malware software....
Of course it is, and they must be desperate.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MikeNovember wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:01 am Linux users, as other operating systems users, should use an antivirus protection.
No, they should not. Much like in fact many Windows users need not always and not in any situation but due to all that been said a literal million times --- market share, real rather than conceptual threats, the Linux matter of course "app-store model", higher technical savvy of the average Linux user in the first place, security software forming an attack surface all of its own --- desktop Linux users need and should not many times over.

It's very tiresome to almost daily need to protect naive and/or inexperienced users against scary and authoritatively stated but completely baseless advise such as which I quoted from you above though. No, desktop Linux users need not and as such should not use AV for their own sakes. Those that feel they do are either themselves naive and inexperienced or need to go talk to someone versed in the psychiatric arts to try and put a break on their natural but non-neocortex threat response.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

how do the multitude of the more sophisticated commercial/professional Linux users handle security?
This is a list of just some Debian users... https://www.debian.org/users/edu/

hint: they put their faith in the huge team of Debian Developers and Maintainers to find and patch those holes Rapidly.
the other major players do likewise
the multitude of consumer distros and spins ride on their backs

Ignore The FUD
Last edited by sdibaja on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

rene wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 am
MikeNovember wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:01 am Linux users, as other operating systems users, should use an antivirus protection.
No, they should not. Much like in fact many Windows users need not always and not in any situation but due to all that been said a literal million times --- market share, real rather than conceptual threats, the Linux matter of course "app-store model", higher technical savvy of the average Linux user in the first place, security software forming an attack surface all of its own --- desktop Linux users need and should not many times over.
Bla bla
It's very tiresome to almost daily need to protect naive and/or inexperienced users against scary and authoritatively stated but completely baseless advise such as which I quoted from you above though. No, desktop Linux users need not and as such should not use AV for their own sakes. Those that feel they do are either themselves naive and inexperienced or need to go talk to someone versed in the psychiatric arts to try and put a break on their natural but non-neocortex threat response.
Please don't get tired, don't lose your time answering my messages.
Your answer is an "authoritatively stated but completely baseless advise". You don't justify your answer by any argument supporting it.
My advices are explained and justified in viewtopic.php?f=42&t=357037.
I am not really "naive and inexperienced". I may have used computers for longer than you have lived...
We disagree, yes.

MN
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

rene wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 am
No, they should not.
Indeed they should not. This pushing of AV on desktop Linux, which is a really bad idea, is lately popping up on several places in this forum. And always by the same person. It's getting tiresome.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MikeNovember wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:19 pm You don't justify your answer by any argument supporting it.
So you really and actively missed all those compactly stated arguments that you replied to with "bla bla" and which were and are as also said stated less compactly thousands of times before both on this forum and the web at large?

You have no idea what you are talking about and should as such not be. And while I'm sure I will not impress the truth of that on you and right now, I do in cases such as this one hope that seeing your snake-oil peddling nonsense not simply go unchallenged helps the forementioned naive and/or inexperienced; this forum is mostly here for their sake after all. As said, it's eventually too tiring after literally hundreds or maybe even thousands of yous in the computer-secuwity context, but one tries every once in a while, and it's good to see every more experienced user here up to now saying the same as I am/would.

Lastly, and only as a footnote to that experience thing; please note that I said it was either inexperience or that "talk to" thing. I.e., best get going with that one then it seems.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Had a quick scan of the article the OP linked to, and after reading the following statement I have no idea what relevance this 'threat' has to any LM user:

"...it can only run on machines with Linux distribution based on Red Hat’s code base."
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Mick-Cork wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:31 pm Had a quick scan of the article the OP linked to, and after reading the following statement I have no idea what relevance this 'threat' has to any LM user:

"...it can only run on machines with Linux distribution based on Red Hat’s code base."
you are braver than me, I assumed it was malware aka social engineering.
Peter
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

If you (generic "you", anyone) want to run AV on your computer, why not just go back to Windows? :roll:

Return to “Chat about Linux”