Starting black login screen "tty" before lightdm

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lukelunar
Level 1
Level 1

Starting black login screen "tty" before lightdm

Post by lukelunar »

I'm having this issue after the first startup of the computer the day after I turn off. Everyday I turn on the computer for the first time and the tty screen appears before lightdm. Turning off again or restarting I don't have this problem. Anyone knows how to fix it or this was already solved? I don't want to change to gdm3 or others. If this was already solved anyone have the link? It's my first post on the forum, I hope I'm the right part of the board for this topic, have a good day/night.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Quinton McLeod
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Starting black login screen "tty" before lightdm

Post by Quinton McLeod »

How exactly is this a problem? You'd rather the framebuffer be completely blank before lightdm starts?
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: superfluous text markup removed
If you give a man a fish -- he will have a fish.
lukelunar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lukelunar »

Quinton McLeod wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:11 am How exactly is this a problem? You'd rather the framebuffer be completely blank before lightdm starts?
I don't know, is this common on mint to tty1 appears after the logo asking your login credentials then lightdm starts with it's login GUI?
Quinton McLeod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Quinton McLeod »

Depends on your GPU.

If you want, you can clear the framebuffer before lightdm starts by adding this to cron as root

Code: Select all

sudo crontab -e
Then append the following:

@reboot /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fb0
lukelunar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lukelunar »

Quinton McLeod wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:41 pm Depends on your GPU.

If you want, you can clear the framebuffer before lightdm starts by adding this to cron as root

sudo crontab -e
Then append the following:

@reboot /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fb0
I'm sorry, I'm a noob, I don't know what a framebuffer is or what these commands do. I have a Nvidia GTS 450 gpu with the last nouveau driver.
Quinton McLeod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Quinton McLeod »

A framebuffer is a fancy pants way of saying, "your screen". Though my definition is a very loose translation of what it actually means.

What you see on "your screen" isn't actually the login prompt. It's an "after image" of what was previously shown during the boot up process. This after image is the framebuffer. So, in actuality, you want this framebuffer cleared. By typing in the commands I provided, you can get your wish.
lukelunar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lukelunar »

Quinton McLeod wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:24 pm A framebuffer is a fancy pants way of saying, "your screen". Though my definition is a very loose translation of what it actually means.

What you see on "your screen" isn't actually the login prompt. It's an "after image" of what was previously shown during the boot up process. This after image is the framebuffer. So, in actuality, you want this framebuffer cleared. By typing in the commands I provided, you can get your wish.
I'm not wishing anything, I just asked if the system is ok or not. This was not showing after I installed, just the dm login GUI after the logo not text, if it's ok and the system will keep working I'm fine with it but some people maybe would think this is some error. I will research the commands you gave and in the meantime I'll wait if the next OS updates will fix it, thanks.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lukelunar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 pm I'm having this issue after the first startup of the computer the day after I turn off. Everyday I turn on the computer for the first time and the tty screen appears before lightdm. Turning off again or restarting I don't have this problem.
That is not normally what happens.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
lukelunar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lukelunar »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:58 pm
lukelunar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 pm I'm having this issue after the first startup of the computer the day after I turn off. Everyday I turn on the computer for the first time and the tty screen appears before lightdm. Turning off again or restarting I don't have this problem.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-86-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 tk: Gtk 3.24.20 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 
  dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: H61M-S2V-B3 serial: <filter> 
  BIOS: Award v: F4 date: 05/25/2011 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3-2100 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 24744 
  Speed: 1596 MHz min/max: 1600/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1596 2: 1596 
  3: 1596 4: 1597 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GF116 [GeForce GTS 450 Rev. 2] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
  bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1245 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting 
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1600x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NVCF v: 4.3 Mesa 21.0.3 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio 
  vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  chip ID: 8086:1c20 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GF116 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0bee 
  Device-3: Generalplus type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid 
  bus ID: 1-1.1:6 chip ID: 1b3f:2008 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-86-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel port: ee00 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  chip ID: 10ec:8168 
  IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9271 802.11n type: USB driver: ath9k_htc 
  bus ID: 2-1.4:3 chip ID: 0cf3:9271 serial: <filter> 
  IF: wlx6466b30eedba state: up mac: <filter> 
  Device-3: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: xpad 
  bus ID: 2-1.6:5 chip ID: 045e:0719 serial: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 931.52 GiB used: 335.97 GiB (36.1%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000AAKX-003CA0 
  size: 465.76 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 1H15 scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST500LT012-9WS142 size: 465.76 GiB 
  speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 5400 rpm serial: <filter> rev: SDM1 scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 91.17 GiB used: 10.14 GiB (11.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
  ID-2: /boot size: 445.1 MiB used: 308.7 MiB (69.4%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sda1 
  ID-3: /home size: 361.65 GiB used: 12.45 GiB (3.4%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sda4 
  ID-4: swap-1 size: 3.73 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 38 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com uma main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:
  Processes: 181 Uptime: 2h 09m Memory: 3.83 GiB used: 1.54 GiB (40.4%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.17 running in: xfce4-terminal inxi: 3.0.38
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lukelunar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:41 pmThis was not showing after I installed
Do you recall what might changes you might have made between the time you installed and when this started happening?

If it is a recent change, you can check in Update Manager to see what files have been updated on your system. Open Update Manager and select View > History of Updates. Maybe something in grub changed?

I do not see anything unusual in your data and I'm not aware of any recent issues in Xfce. Your system is not encrypted, correct?

Maybe someone else will have some ideas of what might be causing it.
lukelunar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lukelunar »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:18 pm
lukelunar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:41 pmThis was not showing after I installed
Do you recall what might changes you might have made between the time you installed and when this started happening?

If it is a recent change, you can check in Update Manager to see what files have been updated on your system. Open Update Manager and select View > History of Updates. Maybe something in grub changed?

I do not see anything unusual in your data and I'm not aware of any recent issues in Xfce. Your system is not encrypted, correct?

Maybe someone else will have some ideas of what might be causing it.
I think after I installed this game, it glitches the screen when I turn off the computer if I open this game https://github.com/OpenDriver2/REDRIVER2

This is "I think" my update history https://pastebin.com/WVSL6m3t
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lukelunar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:39 pmI think after I installed this game, it glitches the screen when I turn off the computer if I open this game https://github.com/OpenDriver2/REDRIVER2
Did you take a Timeshift snapshot before installing the game? If so, you could take another one now (so you would have a copy of your current installation) and then roll back to the older snapshot to see if the issue is resolved.

I was trying to see whether the Linux install was geared to a specific distro, but I did not see any info regarding that. I do see the issue you posted and you indicated you installed the flatpak version.

Some of the packages listed in your update output seems to be related to the game. I am not familiar with them, so I do not know what they might or might not do.

(FYI: I believe the Nvidia-340 driver supports your GeForce GTS 450.)
lukelunar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lukelunar »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:13 pm
lukelunar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:39 pmI think after I installed this game, it glitches the screen when I turn off the computer if I open this game https://github.com/OpenDriver2/REDRIVER2
Did you take a Timeshift snapshot before installing the game? If so, you could take another one now (so you would have a copy of your current installation) and then roll back to the older snapshot to see if the issue is resolved.

I was trying to see whether the Linux install was geared to a specific distro, but I did not see any info regarding that. I do see the issue you posted and you indicated you installed the flatpak version.

Some of the packages listed in your update output seems to be related to the game. I am not familiar with them, so I do not know what they might or might not do.

(FYI: I believe the Nvidia-340 driver supports your GeForce GTS 450.)
Unfortunately I didn't used Timeshift yet and I didn't wanted to use Nvidia's proprietary driver too. But I'll install their driver and see if the problem is fixed, it's just in the first turn on of the computer, after that, it works fine. Thank you for your attention, it's helping to me understand the Linux Mint better, I'll be more careful with the system in the future, thank you for now :D
Quinton McLeod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Quinton McLeod »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:58 pm
This happens with many of my devices. More notably with my iPXE machines. I also notice this happen on production 2U mounted boxes. Ordinarily, it's a framebuffer "issue", though it honestly doesn't hurt anything.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lukelunar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:29 pmUnfortunately I didn't used Timeshift yet and I didn't wanted to use Nvidia's proprietary driver too. But I'll install their driver and see if the problem is fixed, it's just in the first turn on of the computer, after that, it works fine.
I do recommend taking a snapshot before installing Nvidia drivers. It makes it easier to "roll back" if you decide to return to nouveau and makes sure all the files clear from the system. Sometimes there are glitches and they do not all remove.
lukelunar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lukelunar »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:38 pm
lukelunar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:29 pmUnfortunately I didn't used Timeshift yet and I didn't wanted to use Nvidia's proprietary driver too. But I'll install their driver and see if the problem is fixed, it's just in the first turn on of the computer, after that, it works fine.
I do recommend taking a snapshot before installing Nvidia drivers. It makes it easier to "roll back" if you decide to return to nouveau and makes sure all the files clear from the system. Sometimes there are glitches and they do not all remove.
Ok, thanks.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Quinton McLeod wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:30 pmThis happens with many of my devices. More notably with my iPXE machines. I also notice this happen on production 2U mounted boxes. Ordinarily, it's a framebuffer "issue", though it honestly doesn't hurt anything.
This thread is the first I've heard of the issue. It is possible others are seeing it and I've just not heard of it prior to now.

Maybe it is a 'warm' versus 'cold' issue with the hardware? Once things warm up it happens at a faster rate and is not noticed. Usually, those switches between the drivers happen fairly fast, but maybe I'm just reading too many logs of brand new equipment. :mrgreen: (My equipment is older and slower--but it still works!)
Quinton McLeod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Quinton McLeod »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:51 pm
Quinton McLeod wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:30 pmThis happens with many of my devices. More notably with my iPXE machines. I also notice this happen on production 2U mounted boxes. Ordinarily, it's a framebuffer "issue", though it honestly doesn't hurt anything.
This thread is the first I've heard of the issue. It is possible others are seeing it and I've just not heard of it prior to now.

Maybe it is a 'warm' versus 'cold' issue with the hardware? Once things warm up it happens at a faster rate and is not noticed. Usually, those switches between the drivers happen fairly fast, but maybe I'm just reading too many logs of brand new equipment. :mrgreen: (My equipment is older and slower--but it still works!)
Depends really. Sometimes you see it when Plymouth is changing the resolution and sometimes when Xorg is changing the resolution. It's fairly common. It's something I always see. Best way to "fix" it is to clear the framebuffer - but I just ignore it because it doesn't really hurt anything.
lukelunar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lukelunar »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:51 pm

Hello, I've made a fresh install of Linux Mint, changed my driver to Nvidia's proprietary one version 390.144 wich is the last one that supports my graphics card and the problem continues, also I have a new problem, I made a search about this problem and is happening with a lot of people. After turning off the computer I also have now this message too viewtopic.php?t=327915
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lukelunar wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:44 pmHello, I've made a fresh install of Linux Mint, changed my driver to Nvidia's proprietary one version 390.144 wich is the last one that supports my graphics card and the problem continues
The problem happened before or after you re-installed the game?

As Quinton has mentioned, it okay and the system is working fine, so you do not need to do anything to "fix" it. It is not hurting anything.
lukelunar wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:44 pmalso I have a new problem, I made a search about this problem and is happening with a lot of people. After turning off the computer I also have now this message too viewtopic.php?t=327915
The thread you linked specifically mentions installs with Nvidia, but the "old root" message also happens with other graphics cards as seen in
this thread Shutdown:Failed to unmount /oldroot. The thread you linked also mentions a patch that was to be applied to systemd versions 245.5. My Mint 20.2 is still showing 245.4, so I would think yours is the same.

There can actually be more than one reason this happens. In one thread, a person I helped updated their computer's BIOS to the latest version and he no longer got the "old root" message. I have a feeling the message is more likely to happen on certain types of hardware, but unfortunately, what works for one person to clear it does not always work for another person.

Return to “Other topics”