[SOLVED]Cinnamon crashing seemingly at random

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon crashing seemingly at random

Post by SMG »

deerpic wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:23 pm Do you think it may be worth it for me to buy a $10 USB WIFI adapter to bypass having to use the Realtek one?
I did not see anything in the prior logs to indicate it is an issue, so I do not know if it would help.

If you do decide to buy an adapter, make sure it is one that says it works with Linux-based distros. There might be some recommendations on the Networking section of this forum.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
deerpic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deerpic »

The adapter I have in mind says it works with Linux (though the kernel version is lower). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IFXQFU

Wild, speculative question you may not have an answer for:

I use a mobile phone as a WIFI hotspot for internet, as I travel a lot. Most of the time, I use a TP-Link nano-router to connect to the phone so I can connect multiple devices at once. For a couple of weeks, I connected directly to my phone instead of through the router. Those couple of weeks may roughly correspond to the couple weeks I didn't have an issue of this nature. I will experiment with it going forwards. But, curious if you've ever heard of such a thing? I have not tried updating to kernel 5.13 yet. But I may try that after this router experiment.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

deerpic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:40 pm The adapter I have in mind says it works with Linux (though the kernel version is lower). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IFXQFU
What I usually do is click the "see all reviews" near the bottom of the page and then right above all the individual reviews is a search box. I search on "linux" to get an idea if something might work. To me, the reviews seemed mixed, especially with regards to newer computers/distros.
deerpic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:40 pmWild, speculative question you may not have an answer for:

I use a mobile phone as a WIFI hotspot for internet, as I travel a lot. Most of the time, I use a TP-Link nano-router to connect to the phone so I can connect multiple devices at once. For a couple of weeks, I connected directly to my phone instead of through the router. Those couple of weeks may roughly correspond to the couple weeks I didn't have an issue of this nature. I will experiment with it going forwards. But, curious if you've ever heard of such a thing? I have not tried updating to kernel 5.13 yet. But I may try that after this router experiment.
I've heard enough odd things that didn't seem to make sense, but actually happened, that I never rule out anything. However, I'm not sure how the internet routing might relate to crashes.

If the computer is powering the router then that could relate to the crashes, especially if you have multiple items (mouse, router, etc.) attached on the same internal usb bus. (If you run lsusb you can see the buses.)
deerpic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deerpic »

About 99% sure the problem was Easystroke. I was using it to map some of my mouse keys. Switched to Input Remapper and the problem is gone.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Glad the problem seems to be cleared. If it is, you can go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title.

I'm not familiar with either of those programs and do not know how they might interact with the system to know what the issue might have been.

Return to “Other topics”