LM 20.2 Cinnamon: Can't delete favorites (file shortcuts) from the Menu

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Keith57
Level 1
Level 1

LM 20.2 Cinnamon: Can't delete favorites (file shortcuts) from the Menu

Post by Keith57 »

:? I added a couple of files to the Favorites section of the Menu (not the Panel) and now I want to delete one of them because the path is now incorrect. I have not been able to find any way to do this. Right-clicking on a Favorite gives me options as to what program to open it with, but there is nothing to allow me to uninstall it. Right-clicking on the Start button, configuring the Menu, and opening the Menu Editor are useless, as the editor doesn't match up at all with what I have (Cinnamon). I hope the programmers at Linux Mint know about this, and are adding functionality to rectify this deficiency... Thanks for any help, in case I am totally 'out to lunch' on this one.
Linux 20.2
Cinnamon 5.0.5
Linux Kernel 5.11.0-37-generic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Can't delete favorites (file shortcuts) from the Menu

Post by all41 »

Favorites section of the Menu
Where exacly is this in Cinnamon?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I added a couple of files to the Favorites section of the Menu (not the Panel) and now I want to delete one of them
Try this. Right click on menu button - Configure - Menu tab - 'Open the menu editor'. Perhaps that will work for you.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I believe that Favourites in the Menu is the same Favourites in Nemo File Manager.
Unfortunately you cannot access Favourites in Menu by following mikeflan's instructions as the Folder does not appear in Menu editor screen.
I believe that you need to Open up Nemo, go to the Favourites Folder & right mouse click on the item & select Remove from Favourites.
Keith57
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Keith57 »

all41: "Favorites" is on the (Start) Menu between Preferences and Places. Recent Files has a button to click on to "Clear List", but Favorites has no such option or capability. Right-clicking on a Favorite does not give me the option to clear / delete it either. This is something that needs to be corrected ASAP. Until then, I guess I'll just ignore it...
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LM 20.2 Cinnamon: Can't delete favorites (file shortcuts) from the Menu

Post by RIH »

What is/was wrong with the method I outlined above??
Keith57
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Keith57 »

RIH wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:54 pm What is/was wrong with the method I outlined above??
I just tried deleting the one and only item in Favorites according to your suggestion, but it only got rid of one of the Favorites on the menu. The system cannot find the file.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this! :|
Keith57
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Keith57 »

RIH wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:54 pm What is/was wrong with the method I outlined above??
I decided to give this problem another try tonight, so here is some good news--After posting that last reply, I rebooted Mint, opened up my File Manager, and deleted the Favorite there (which just happened to be the "Favorite" in question) and wonder of wonders, it got rid of the last remaining Favorite! THANKS! I guess I'm a little obtuse sometimes, as we say here... :oops:
Kunkle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kunkle »

Left click & hold the item you want to remove, drag it out of favourites, release the click.

This won't work for the shutdown button, the logout button, nor the lock screen button (i.e the first 3 buttons from the bottom).
LittleScriptMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LittleScriptMan »

Command Line version usable in scripts :

Code: Select all

gsettings get org.x.apps.favorites list > favs.lst
copies all your favorites in a favs.lst file (eventually does a backup job on your favorites)

This favorites list has the following format :
['fav1', 'fav2', ...., 'favX']
(most begin with file:/// or smb://)

Delete (or add) what you want, then :

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.x.apps.favorites list favs.lst
sets the block of favorites saved in favs.lst (eventually does a restore job on your favorites)
Interests : Firefox, Cinnamon & Bash Scripts
LM Version : LMDE5 (LMDE4 just in case)

Return to “Cinnamon”