Signing out and leaving there for ~30 mins, corrupts file system.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GuruSR
Level 1
Level 1

Signing out and leaving there for ~30 mins, corrupts file system.

Post by GuruSR »

First off, the Linux Mint is a bootable (UEFI) USB 3.1 128GB stick on a laptop.

If I sign out and leave the laptop running with the login screen, close the laptop, put it away for about 30 minutes, come back to it, try to sign in, nothing happens, upon a forced off/on, the laptop attempts to boot but fails (even under Recovery) with it complaining it can't find part of the drive well beyond the 128GB space. All I could do was using a Mint install USB to copy the user account data off, the system itself off by way of file copy (can't backup or it unmounts the USB with a complaint that something happened, error 8 happens). I then did a full format Ext4 of the entire USB stick (which passed fine), re-installed Mint and it is back to the start, so I have to put all my software back in, data I have, software will be the issue.

This happened with 20, now with 20.2, no idea what it was doing in the background to the USB stick, but obviously it wasn't good. The last time it happened, I thought it was the USB stick so I returned for a replacement under defective, this time, it wasn't the stick's fault. Since I did wipe the stick clean, there was no way to tell what went wrong, but what would/could cause file system corruption as such? I don't have much above the default install, as I want to keep the laptop's version devoid of extra stuff running in the background for battery life reasons.

GuruSR.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Signing out and leaving there for ~30 mins, corrupts file system.

Post by Larry78723 »

Did you install Mint to the USB or are you running from install media?
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
GuruSR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuruSR »

It was an install done by a USB install media to a USB stick for booting. So it is a USB device running as a boot drive, basically a full install instead of a installation USB. Was hoping to move it between systems, think the re-do on it will now, since it now shows up as having a proper UEFI partition on it, odd, but as I said, this is the second time it has happened, almost about to see about blocking logout so that the only way to quit is to shut it down, just to protect the sanity of it, unless there is something I'm missing that is causing that to happen like powering off the USB port, but I wouldn't expect it to do that, ever.

GuruSR.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

GuruSR wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 pm It was an install done by a USB install media to a USB stick for booting. So it is a USB device running as a boot drive, basically a full install instead of a installation USB. Was hoping to move it between systems, think the re-do on it will now, since it now shows up as having a proper UEFI partition on it, odd, but as I said, this is the second time it has happened, almost about to see about blocking logout so that the only way to quit is to shut it down, just to protect the sanity of it, unless there is something I'm missing that is causing that to happen like powering off the USB port, but I wouldn't expect it to do that, ever.

* Added emphasis to quote is mine

I think your premise is wrong. Different machines may require different drivers for different graphic and wifi chips. It also won't work if some machines Bios are in legacy mode.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
GuruSR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuruSR »

Larry78723 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:37 am * Added emphasis to quote is mine

I think your premise is wrong. Different machines may require different drivers for different graphic and wifi chips. It also won't work if some machines Bios are in legacy mode.
Somewhat not understanding what you're meaning. The laptop is EFI with Secure on, if I leave it at the login screen upon startup, it is fine, can leave it there for hours, but if I log in and do work and then log out and leave it, I come back to a frozen machine, force reboot says it is trying to read parts of the drive that don't exist (far beyond the heads/cylinders count). I was able to use another Linux (VM) to copy the data off the USB stick before redoing it (which I still am). I am noticing the WiFi driver is wrong (says bizarre speeds, doesn't support WiFi 5), but when signed out and not in an account, the WiFi is usually off, because it isn't shared with other accounts (there aren't any). The premise is, I'm using this as a stepping stone before moving the actual USB onto the machine's internal eMMC, but I want to get it working properly first, the issue with the WiFi and the boot error about it not recognizing the CPU properly are the only 2 issues I've run into, other than this bizarre log out and lock up after it writes bizarre information to the partition.

GuruSR.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Turn off secure boot. Some linux drivers will not load with it on.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
GuruSR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuruSR »

Umm, so you're saying that if I turn that off, the driver that locked up in the background can load? I'm trying to track down what locked up the entire machine at the logout "log in" prompt after ~30 minutes of idle time. To avoid damaging this "build" stick, so I can use it to clone to other machines to rapidly set them up with all the software I need.

GuruSR.

Return to “Other topics”