Copy/paste unreliable

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Copy/paste unreliable

Post by Red Squirrel »

This seems to be a known issue, was there ever a fix? I found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=219868

It's been happening a LOT to me lately and it keeps resulting in me getting locked out of websites when I change my password because what ends up going into the password manager is not what I set on the site or vise versa because it won't copy/paste properly.

I find if I spam ctrl+c enough times it usually goes through but it's very hit and miss over all. Sometimes pasting the same thing twice will even result in wrong thing or even garbage characters, especially if pasting inside a console.

Is there a known fix for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Copy/paste unreliable

Post by xenopeek »

The linked topic is specifically about Linux Mint 17.2 KDE. The last Linux Mint version that had a KDE edition was 18.3. All those version have reached end of life and are no longer supported.

So is the linked topic at all relevant to you? Are you using KDE? Then did the solution in the linked topic help?
If you're not using KDE the linked topic is irrelevant.

You should probably add more information. Llike which Linux Mint version + edition you're using and which password manager and what the steps are exactly you take when changing a password.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Red Squirrel wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:48 pm This seems to be a known issue, was there ever a fix? I found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=219868

It's been happening a LOT to me lately and it keeps resulting in me getting locked out of websites when I change my password because what ends up going into the password manager is not what I set on the site or vise versa because it won't copy/paste properly.

I find if I spam ctrl+c enough times it usually goes through but it's very hit and miss over all. Sometimes pasting the same thing twice will even result in wrong thing or even garbage characters, especially if pasting inside a console.

Is there a known fix for this?
Hi,

Maybe hardware problems:
- difficulties to select the password with the mouse: try another mouse, or select with arrow keys
- CTRL-C / CTRL-V not working: CTRL key might be defective, try another keyboard.

Regards,

MN
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

Using Mint 20.1. I think it's Cinnamon but I forget, it might be Mate.

I just found that topic while googling and since I'm still having that issue wonder if there was ever a known fix.

I tried a new keyboard, in fact, I have a laptop at work with an older version of Mint, same problem there too. Though it does not seem to do it as often.

It seems to be worse when doing heavy copy and pasting. Like I was going through lot of web services and changing my passwords as a routine so I was generating new passwords in my password manager then pasting them in the site to change it. But lot of the time it was not going through properly and I was pasting who knows what in the password field instead of the password I just copied.

I have it happen a lot when I'm coding too, go to copy a function name or any other code and go to paste it, and it pastes something else.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Is the problem there when you use "Copy / Paste" using the dialog window (with the mouse)? Or just when you use keyboard shortcuts?

Regards,

MN
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

Seems to be mostly with keyboard, but I noticed a more specific problem with terminals where even if I do with mouse, when I go to paste, it adds garbage characters or does not paste the right thing altogether. This is problematic when logging in to SSH and other stuff and using long passwords. But the keyboard shortcuts definitely are more glitchy in general and that is the bigger issue as it affects everything such as coding. For example scroll 10,000 lines into the document to find a function name so you can copy it somewhere else, then scroll back, only to find out it never got copied. But this seems to be universal as it does it in every application. Browser, text editor, console, etc. Even copy and pasting files, like folders though it seems to do it less with that, it's mostly text.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Red Squirrel wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:16 am Seems to be mostly with keyboard, but I noticed a more specific problem with terminals where even if I do with mouse, when I go to paste, it adds garbage characters or does not paste the right thing altogether. This is problematic when logging in to SSH and other stuff and using long passwords. But the keyboard shortcuts definitely are more glitchy in general and that is the bigger issue as it affects everything such as coding. For example scroll 10,000 lines into the document to find a function name so you can copy it somewhere else, then scroll back, only to find out it never got copied. But this seems to be universal as it does it in every application. Browser, text editor, console, etc. Even copy and pasting files, like folders though it seems to do it less with that, it's mostly text.
Hi,

Offer yourself a new keyboard...

MN
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

I already tried that... it also only does it on this one system, I have 3 computers using the same keyboard and mouse.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Red Squirrel wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:43 am I already tried that... it also only does it on this one system, I have 3 computers using the same keyboard and mouse.
Do you have a selector to affect computer / mouse to a given computer? If yes, it could come from it; just try to affect your computer to another location (change cables with another computer on which all works) and see what happens.

MN
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

I've been using Parcellite, described as "a Lightweight GTK+ clipboard manager". It's available in the Software Manager, at least on Cinnamon or at https://github.com/rickyrockrat/parcellite . I've used it for several years, through subsequent Mint versions (I'm on 19.3 now). What I like is that it sits in the panel and clicking on the icon you can see a clipboard history. Select any item to make it the default. I've never had a clipboard problem since I've been using it.

Return to “Other topics”