linux mint 19.1 is 100% heavier than 17.3

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

linux mint 19.1 is 100% heavier than 17.3

Post by ckonn »

linux mint 19.1 mate-desktop - ram usage

no single app from the user-space is running ( except gui-system-monitor ) and the os is off-line. 17.3 ram usage - 295 mb.

no single app from the user-space is running ( except gui-system-monitor ) and the os is off-line. 19.1 ram usage - 590 mb.

what about linux mint mate-desktop 20.1?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: linux mint 19.1 is 100% heavier than 17.3

Post by xenopeek »

Did you compare like with like? Were both the 32-bit edition, both 64-bit edition or were they different? Did you use the same desktop environment on both? That will play a role. 32-bit vs 64-bit more significantly so.

The system requirements for Linux Mint 20.x are higher than for Linux Mint 19.x. Linux Mint 19.x requires 1GB RAM and recommends 2GB for comfortable usage, Linux Mint 20.x 2GB RAM and 4GB respectively. Linux Mint does not have as target to keep computers with very limited resources operational. There are other Linux distros out there that have that goal and would be more suitable if you have very limited RAM.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I've replaced 32 bit Mint with 64 bit before, after Google announced they were dropping 32 bit Chrome. The writing was on the wall.

Yes, the 64 bit was noticeably heavier but not nearly 2X.

There have been lots of other changes since Mint 17. One big one is systemd, which really did slow things down. A classic case of reinventing the wheel for no good reason.

The bottom line is that you just can't expect new Linux releases to be lighter and faster than before. It happens but not often.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

you just can't expect new Linux/Windows/Apple/Taxes to be lighter and faster
More hardware to support. More security. Plus pushing things into RAM makes them faster than sitting on disk.

I use Cinnamon and went 17 > 18 > 19 > 20 on essentially the same resources without noticing any real difference. For some of them, I did upgrades, did not like the result, then went back to clean installs. Did you upgrade or clean install?

From 19 to 20, I dropped a lot of PPAs due to more recent releases in LM. Dropping some of the PPAs made a noticeable improvement. That makes me wonder what was added to those PPAs to make the application work.

In 20, I switched to hardware containing Nvidia. It is more enjoyable to go through a tax audit or pass a gall stone. While the GPU made some big processes faster, overall there was a drop in responsiveness. Hardware drivers, like the Nvidia driver, can change completely randomly in every tiny update. The change might not be LM specific, it might be some other package required just for your hardware.
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ckonn »

linux mint 19.1 mate-desktop 64-bit - ram usage

linux mint 19.1 mate-desktop 64-bit and linux mint 17.3 mate-desktop 64-bit on one and the same 64-bit-pc.

no single app from the user-space is running ( except gui-system-monitor ) and the os is off-line. 17.3 ram usage - 295 mb.

no single app from the user-space is running ( except gui-system-monitor ) and the os is off-line. 19.1 ram usage - 590 mb.
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ckonn »

does someone know what is the situation with linux mint 20.3 64-bit mate-desktop by the same conditions?

Return to “Other topics”