cannot login...no login screen

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

cannot login...no login screen

Postby lawsonrc » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:07 pm

I was exploring mintconfig and saw login photo. So I chose a photo, then restarted the computer.

After booting up it never gets to the login screen so that I can log in. I just get a black background with the little round icon spinning around.

I went into Recovery Mode, typed in my password and startx and got the root desktop. (I know this is not advised and many say NEVER do this, but I had no choice since I didn't have cli knowledge to fix this. I was very careful :D ) After long exploration, I found nothing that would help.

I don't want to re-install (ugh!)

All help is greatly appreciated.

Richard L.

lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

GDM not running....

Postby lawsonrc » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:01 pm

I think my problem is the GDM is not running, as I've seen this message a couple of times.

How do I get GDM running again?

Many thanks in advance,

Richard L.

carlos
Level 5
Level 5

Postby carlos » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:01 pm

Unfortunately I had the same problem on a laptop with a nvidia graphics card, 2 days of searching google and nothing to show :? You should try to reinstall. Although in my case it really didn't help as I kept getting the same blank screen after login.

did you try to reconfigure xserver? If you do the key combo of "ctrl + f2" of any of the function keys it will bring you to a terminal. You can do that as soon as u get the blank screen. make sure to type dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg in terminal. That will start to reconfigure xserver, just answer the questions and keep your fingers crossed. For some people that has worked, others like myself nothing...
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.

lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lawsonrc » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:08 pm

Hi Carlos,

Well, I tried what you suggested for xserver, went through all the questions, but had no luck.
I wanted to retrieve my documents, pictures, downloaded themes from gnome-look.org, and other goodies. So I booted into PCLinuxOS and was able get to my LinuxMint /home directory to put everything I needed onto both a thumb-/ flashdrive and burned them onto a cd (for extra measure).

I reinstalled (30 minutes), copied all my stuff in the new /home folder, used Synaptic to delete all the Asian and MidEastern fonts and downloaded the msttfonts, changed my Theme to LiNsta3 and my icons--a different theme (45 minutes). Put OpenOffice Quickstarter on the systray, then dragged and dropped other shortcuts onto the panel from the Cassandra menu.

So now all is good to go! :wink:

I've always been a KDE guy, but Cassandra is the best Gnome I've ever experienced! (My Mandriva club expires in 30 days and I'll probably not renew now that I have LM Cassandra and PCLinuxOS. Unfortunately, Bianca KDE was unstable on the laptop.) I now will spend equal time in LM Gnome and PCLOS KDE for fun!

Thanks for all your help....AND from now on I'll back up all my files on a regular basis! (Thank goodness I'm a distro "slut" and can get into each of them from the other on my lappy!)

Sincerely,

Richard

Return to “Other topics”